Need help

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
So my car finally runs again and it's throwing 3-4 codes repeatedly. The alternator is pushing out almost 14v so I know it's good, I just replaced the starter because the signal wire didn't have a good connection. I'm running out of ideas and am looking for assistance. The codes are as follows:
P0340
P0344
P0345
P0349(sometimes but not always)

My next step is replacing the cam pos sensors to see if that helps. Other than that, does anyone have any ideas?

More pics

Sorry, it wouldn't let me do all the pics together for some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Silly q: did you time the engine properly (proper chain locations on the sprockets)?

Did you fix that big ground?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Everytime I got the P0340 repeatedly, it was the alternator. How many miles on your car? Have you replaced the alternator before? Was the 14V at idle (I am assuming). Is the P0340 becoming more frequent?

Just a simple stupid test, but what I would do is turn on the a/c, the high beams, the radio, and then roll down the windows. When my alternator started going bad, I noticed the lights dimmed significantly. Pull your car up to the garage door at night and do this.

Interesting you mentioned the starter also. I never had problems with the starter or cam position sensors, but I had to replace the battery once and the alternator twice over the years I had the mod motor, in an 05 and 06.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
(there is a little "history" with the ground...and, I have an alternator you can try, Darrel, to see if that is your problem...)
Gimme a call and we can talk about it more.

Last edited:

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
The ground wasn't am issue this time like I had thought Mike. My buddy had hooked up the ground when he installed the starter a couple weeks ago and I double checked it and it's good.

Psf, the 14 is at idle, before the car is fired up it reads between 9-12v. I'll try and put stress on the alternator and see if that affects the lights but I'm not convinced that's what it is, but damn do I hope I'm wrong.

I'll give you a call tonight Mike while I'm installing my new fuel rails and lines.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
...what's the voltage look like on the datalog other than when idling?...
Good to hear the ground is resolved, rules that out.
I might have to come over and help you out this weekend.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
So my car finally runs again and it's throwing 3-4 codes repeatedly. The alternator is pushing out almost 14v so I know it's good....

You can have 14VDC all day long, but if you've got VAC noise (ripple), you'll have problems.

The best way to find out is to find someone with an oscilliscope, followed by taking it to an auto parts store and have it tested. If you're very lucky, their test equipment is good enough to tell you how much ripple you have. Unfortunately, many parts stores just have PASS/FAIL...

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Well I swapped alternators and still get the same codes and now on top of those the battery light came on and a warning message popped up that said check charging system.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So you have two bad alternators then? lol.

Did you attempt to do my stupid test? It only takes a couple minutes.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
...we'll verify the alternator in the next few days... it is possible the second one is not working properly.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had same code, replaced alternator and while test driving car I got the battery light also and same thing about charging system, returned alternator for another new one and problem solved. It happens. You can get a bad alternator very easily

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
All codes point to sensor "A". The "intermittent" code 349 could be real, too.

I'm thinking of coming out and trying the alternator, swapping it in my red mustang, and seeing what happens.
Also, y'all could swap the cam sensors and see if the codes change; that would rule those out as possible issues.
The codes point to electrical issues more than mechanical issues; although, are you sure that side was properly assembled and timed, and the chain didn't jump during first-time start-up?

Later. We'll figure it out. :beer:

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Well I swapped the cam pos sensors and all the codes are gone. I'm thinking that the sensors being unplugged and somewhat exposed for as long as they were caused corrosion on the prongs which didn't allow a good connection. I assume this based on the fact that the sensors I swapped in were on the car 2.5 years ago when it last ran and the ones that were on the car were brand new ones that I hoped would fix the issue I was having when the car broke.

Anyway, now that I've rambled for far too long, now I just need to swap Mikes alt off for my original one, put on my new fuel rails, wire up my water pump, wide band, boost gauge, and buy and install my new fuel lines and fasteners from Austin performance.

Mike, can I use your old gt500 hat so I make sure and get the right fittings?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Sure. Although the hat uses the stock fuel line connector with the push-in clip.
I don't have any use for the hat at this time, as there are no pumps in it right now and I wont be using it at all, but you're free to use it for test-fitment.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back