Need some advice

cfr865

Reaction score
While driving tonight I got on it a little at about 5500 rpm the engine wnhet into fail safe mode, it acted like it was running on four cylinders. I was about a mile from home, once there I shut it off rased the hood and a little white smoke was coming from the passenger side. I could not see anything leaking nothing on the driveway. I reloaded the tune, but it would not start just some smoke coming from the exhaust when cranking over. There's only about 1500 miles on the new short block, no track time at all. Any ideas.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Are you running forced induction, supercharger or turbo? Doesnt sound too good. I know we get white smoke with my friends TT when we forget to turn the scavegining pump on and oil gets into the pipes....If your a turbo, could be a bad turbo seal. But that wouldnt explain the motor not wanting to turn over.

Sounds like you need to put it away and start digging for problems. A bad gasket could be the resultant as well.

cfr865

Reaction score
Yes I have Paxton 2200 ho s/c with a fully built dss 302 stroker motor. The engine turns over, it just won't start. Do you think it could be the tps or the throttle body. The oil looks fine as does the coolant.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Yes I have Paxton 2200 ho s/c with a fully built dss 302 stroker motor. The engine turns over, it just won't start. Do you think it could be the tps or the throttle body. The oil looks fine as does the coolant.

eh....Idk. I would think it would still start with a TPS or TB issue, just would idle rough and run like shit. Might be a bad starter. Still doesnt explain the white smoke...did you check for vaccum leaks, make sure nothing popped off.

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
Oil smoke?
Water vapor?
Fuel vapor?

Smoke is kind of vague. All three will smell different.

cfr865

Reaction score
My swag, a cat came apart and is plugging the exhaust.

This does sound the most likely to me, it seemed quite hot on the passenger side and this is where a little smoke came from. I have the Pypes hi flow cats they only have about 1500 miles on them. I'm going to have it towed to the installed tomorrow, I will have him check the cats.
Hopefully its something simple.
Thanks for your help.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First things to check?
1. Fuel (do you smell fuel when you are cranking it over, crank it a few times and then go to the engine bay and smell around the injectors and you should smell fuel.)
2. Spark (see if you are getting spark, pull a plug and test it on the coil.) If you are not getting fuel its more than likely a spark issue.
3. Air (make sure all components are working together ans there is air getting into the motor and being properly metered my the MAF. But chances are if you are not getting any kind of start, then its either ignition or fuel.

cfr865

Reaction score
Oil smoke?
Water vapor?
Fuel vapor?

Smoke is kind of vague. All three will smell different.

Smells like un-burt fuel. I could not smell any fuel in the engine compartment, it just had a hot smell to it. However the temp. gauge read normal , the oil pressure gauge read normal.

cfr865

Reaction score
If it does turn out to be the hi flow cats I don't want to replace them and have it happen again. What's a good alternative without being terribly loud. I don't have to worry about emission test where I live.

cfr865

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions , the connection came off the throttle body. I didn't see it right away because of the shaker hood. Put new plugs in runs like new again.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back