new 4.6 3v stroker, ...go with 60lb, or 80lb oil pressure?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Agree...there is def something wrong. As I said no visible leaks and leak down test was very good. As 07boss suggested, I looked into the pcv valve. On my ‘10, it is sealed under the valve cover, so could not remove and shake. So I understand, if the pcv valve is stuck open (somehow) I would get continuous flow of crankcase vapors up into the manifold (by vacuum, + pressure, whatever). If the valve is clogged or cannot open, that would rule out the pcv as the cause of the oil loss. Is this more/less correct?

appreciate the feedback
If the engine is running the pcv valve is open. Pressure inside the crankcase or vacuum from the manifold will open it. If it does not open you will push oil out through the seals and you can see it. A good catch can/oil separator will capture most of that oil. Also the opposite side should not just be vented to atmosphere. The small tubing on it acts as an orphace and connected to the clean air tube the air is metered.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
rschmid123, you may have a folded oil ring. It will look fine on a leak-down test as the top ring and 2nd ring are functioning as normal and since the motor is at TDC on the compression stroke, the scoring from the folded oil ring is lower down and won't leak with the piston at TDC.

rschmid123

Reaction score
Any theories on why ford stuck the pcv valve under the valve cover? I checked the fsm and did not see a service life for this which tells me it is designed to outlive the car. Hard to believe

Shakn68

Reaction score
I finished a similar build a couple months ago. I installed the FR M-6600-F46 using the stock pickup and a moroso 8 qt pan. I was changing the oil the other day and only drained 3.5 qt. so I was/am pretty freaked out. Absolutely no leaks and no oil mixing with coolant, so I went to do a compression test last night and found oil on the threads of my plugs. I am taking it in to have a leak down test done next week. I am hoping it comes back normal. If it does, I plan to reinstall the stock pump.

rschmid, not sure what stroker components you are using, or if this even applies anymore to a stroked mod motor, But I do know from building stroker small blocks years ago, some brands of piston and rod combo's had the rod pin cut through the oil ring groove, which caused the 347's to burn oil by dragging excess oil into the cylinders. You mentioned your plugs were black, so that could be a possibility. I was always adding oil and changing my plugs out because of that.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Any theories on why ford stuck the pcv valve under the valve cover? I checked the fsm and did not see a service life for this which tells me it is designed to outlive the car. Hard to believe

The car is only supposed to last 10 years.

We all need to remember the PCV is an emissions control device, and ford would say: "replace the valve cover if it fails. Oh wait, it's no longer serviced? By law we only need to service parts for 10 years. Why don't you buy a Tesla or Mach E???? What???? How is it possible you are that poor?"

Since I'm an enthusiast and it is not illegal to modify my car (yet,) if I encounter issues with the PCV, I will once again reengineer the system (currently incorporates a lot of braided line and a very expensive catch can that doesn't do much, just as with all of the rest of them...) to allow for the addition of filtered air to one side of the engine, and for the extraction of vapors/combustion gases/schmutz from the other, hopefully into the same catch can but with the vacuum side connected to some sort of sophisticated and long lasting pump. Electric? Crank drive? Why do things have to be so hard? It's why it is stock for now.

As for the OP, ford racing says leave the 80 lb spring. With the ford racing pump (sad to see it's no longer sold,) my car uses next to no oil with my blower motor build (fresh rings on stock pistons, boss rods.) Less than it did even stock! Stock the thing was a cow. One cyl. was full of oil on tear down.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back