NHRA Stock Eliminator '09-'10 Mustang GT thread

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
O.K.
I'm about to pull the trigger on building one or the other.

1. A 2009 (or) 2010 Mustang GT Stocker with the 4.6 3v. I have not seen one yet or heard of anyone building one yet.

or...2. A Super Stock GT car with a 3V engine in my 86 Turbo Coupe.

Either way, the idea is to build it to Stocker engine specs and try to run under the index for either class setup.

This combo is all N/A and we have to run within the published specs and casting numbers.

That's where I need the experienced help of the 4.6 3v guys.

According to the Wallace website calculator, the 4.6 needs to make at least 435 fwhp to run the index of 11.75.

As a Super Stocker:
* The raceweight would need to be 3460 lbs.
* The index for the class is 11.75 .
* The heads would be the FRRP CNC Hot Rod heads
* The required throttle body is the twin tb 62 mm ( 2010 CJ ) spec
* Max valve lift is .473 for intake and ex.
* Stock Ford pistons ( 3.8 cc dish) stock stroke
* I want to pull this off with a stock '05-'10 intake
* Transmission would be a C-4.
* Not sure of the rear gear but probably 4.30's or 4.10's.
* Race fuel ( we have to run a fuel on the approved list)

Stock Eliminator spec chassis.
The only power acc. would be the alternator.

Now...could that engine make 435 h.p on motor with the stock intake, 62 mm tb, and .473 lift cams ?

Note: the cams are allowed to have any amount of duration, but the gross valve lift checked at the valve must not be over .473 ".

I am pretty sure this engine could run the index in Stock Eliminator of 12.65 @ 3680 lbs raceweight.
I would love to get it to run the S/S 11.75 index tho.

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be 435 crank HP. Wallace racing is known to measure it that way. That being said 435 WHP is not easy. Bruce did that with a 5.3 big bore engine with ported and polished heads, cams, and 12.0:1 compression. I'm sad to see the 4 banger go as I'm a SVO owner.

EDIT - Nevermind, you said flywheel hp.

Last edited:

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be 435 crank HP. Wallace racing is known to measure it that way. That being said 435 WHP is not easy. Bruce did that with a 5.3 big bore engine with ported and polished heads, cams, and 12.0:1 compression. I'm sad to see the 4 banger go as I'm a SVO owner.

EDIT - Nevermind, you said flywheel hp.

Yeah, even with the FRRP heads and custom cams, the 435 h.p. might be a stretch.

I will still have the turbo 2.3, but the way the car would be configured would be the 4.6 would have it's own k-member setup and I can switch from the 2.3 to the 4.6 and back by dropping everything out the bottom.

I want to keep my 2.3 for setting records with the car and run Super Stock with the 4.6 for other events.

On the other hand...it would be cool to be the first Stock Eliminator racer to enter a '09 or '10 Mustang GT. :rock:

Last edited:

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
That's approx. 370 to the wheels. Wont be easy with those restrictions. You will have to spin it so the cam will be the heart of it. Run a super light connecting rod, the stock crank will hold up and is lighter than the cobra forged unit. The valve train will handle 7500 rpm with a decent spring. I used Comp 26113 effectively. The FRPP heads will drop your compression from stock due to the bigger combustion chamber. I made 380 with the Comp 127500 cams and ran 11.50's with stock heads. They flow very well stock. You can mill them a bit to pick up your compression numbers. Lock the VCT and run the 2 valve metal tensioners. Billet oil pump gears from TSS (Triangle speed shop) will be all you need for an oil pump. The C4 is going to suck up some power. A face plated T5 is going to be the fastest transmission you can use. At that power level and weight a stock clutch will give you the perfect amount of slip to pull good 60 foot times. My car dipped in to the 1.40's at 3200 lbs/4.56 gears on 26" Quick time pros, TR3650 trans/Crossed the stripe at 6800 rpm. Yes the T5 will tear up but it's the quickest thing out there, ask the Factory stock and Coyote stock NMRA guys.

And thanks for posting something interesting in tech

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
Alan M, saw this article... http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-1102-anderson-motorsport-three-valve-cam-install/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpQE0JUhz0Q

might be worth a phone call to Anderson Ford Motorsport to see if they can spec a cam with the max valve lift requirements you have. And the heads you mentioned are the high flow FRPP variants, right?

I'd love to know Charley Downing's 3V CJ setup, he's running 10.80's or better at 3150 lbs race weight.

ArtQ, is your new engine ready to make passes yet? :)

Last edited:

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
This little old thing? Transmission should be here next week then I just need time to get it together.....

picture.php

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

It's been a year now.
Rather than put a 3V into a T-Bird and run Super Stock, I bought a wrecked '05 and will run it in Stock Eliminator.

The K/SA Index is 12.65 @ 3680 lbs. with me in it.

Should be easier to hit the index with this combo.

I called Comp Cams and specc'd out a "Stocker" cam >.472" lift and 239 deg. duration @ .050 intake and 245 deg. @ .050 exhaust.

Should sound nasty...well, most Stocker cams do.

Fuel is VP C-11. I think it's a 110 octane rating.

Thanks Tom for the link and the video !

The CJ heads are the CNC versions, but not the max ported ones.
The part #s for the heads are M-6049-3VNPA and M-6050-3VNPA
I talked with Charlie D. on his combo and he gave me some great insight about the 3 valves in Stocker trim.

Here's a video of his 3V Stocker ...sounds awesome !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhRF-ZtjxnA&nohtml5=False

Last edited:

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
That's approx. 370 to the wheels. Wont be easy with those restrictions. You will have to spin it so the cam will be the heart of it. Run a super light connecting rod, the stock crank will hold up and is lighter than the cobra forged unit. The valve train will handle 7500 rpm with a decent spring. I used Comp 26113 effectively. The FRPP heads will drop your compression from stock due to the bigger combustion chamber. I made 380 with the Comp 127500 cams and ran 11.50's with stock heads. They flow very well stock. You can mill them a bit to pick up your compression numbers. Lock the VCT and run the 2 valve metal tensioners. Billet oil pump gears from TSS (Triangle speed shop) will be all you need for an oil pump. The C4 is going to suck up some power. A face plated T5 is going to be the fastest transmission you can use. At that power level and weight a stock clutch will give you the perfect amount of slip to pull good 60 foot times. My car dipped in to the 1.40's at 3200 lbs/4.56 gears on 26" Quick time pros, TR3650 trans/Crossed the stripe at 6800 rpm. Yes the T5 will tear up but it's the quickest thing out there, ask the Factory stock and Coyote stock NMRA guys.

And thanks for posting something interesting in tech

Thanks !

We can mill the FRPP heads to get the chamber cc to 48, but the expense might not warrant a 5 cc drop vs. the power gain.
I will go with out of the box FRPP ones, the Comp Stocker cams, and cam phasers locked. ( better yet, I like your idea of using the 2V sprockets)

I plan to go with 4.56 gears and 28 inch tall tires.
I plan to have the rev limiter set @ 7500 and shift at 7000, but that is after the C-4 is installed. Not sure that 5R55 would like that.
Installing a stick setup is not in my plans in the near future, but I would love to try it sometime within the next 5 years.

For now, I just want to get the car to run 2 tenths under index with the 5 speed automatic. If so, I believe it would make my car the first NHRA Stocker to ever qualify with a 5 speed automatic and the factory assembly line issued Spanish Oak ECU. :)

The car has had all the legal Stocker mods performed ( roll bar, sampling valve for the spec fuel, d.s. loop, etc) and is ready for it's first run hopefully next weekend @ Indy

2le5wqv.jpg

Last edited:

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
I called Comp Cams and specc'd out a "Stocker" cam >.472" lift and 239 deg. duration @ .050 intake and 245 deg. @ .050 exhaust.

Should sound nasty...well, most Stocker cams do.

The CJ heads are the CNC versions, but not the max ported ones.
The part #s for the heads are M-6049-3VNPA and M-6050-3VNPA
I talked with Charlie D. on his combo and he gave me some great insight about the 3 valves in Stocker trim.

Thanks !

We can mill the FRPP heads to get the chamber cc to 48, but the expense might not warrant a 5 cc drop vs. the power gain.
I will go with out of the box FRPP ones, the Comp Stocker cams, and cam phasers locked. ( better yet, I like your idea of using the 2V sprockets)

I plan to go with 4.56 gears and 28 inch tall tires.
I plan to have the rev limiter set @ 7500 and shift at 7000, but that is after the C-4 is installed. Not sure that 5R55 would like that.
Installing a stick setup is not in my plans in the near future, but I would love to try it sometime within the next 5 years.

For now, I just want to get the car to run 2 tenths under index with the 5 speed automatic. If so, I believe it would make my car the first NHRA Stocker to ever qualify with a 5 speed automatic and the factory assembly line issued Spanish Oak ECU. :)

The car has had all the legal Stocker mods performed ( roll bar, sampling valve for the spec fuel, d.s. loop, etc) and is ready for it's first run hopefully next weekend @ Indy

2le5wqv.jpg

can't wait to hear the cams, and watching you hit the record will be pretty cool too! If there's anything from Charlie D you can share, I'm all ears. If not, that's ok too :)

have fun, and keep us posted

Last edited:

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
can't wait to hear the cams, and watching you hit the record will be pretty cool too! If there's anything from Charlie D you can share, I'm all ears. If not, that's ok too :)

have fun, and keep us posted

He really did not say anything that might be a secret Tom.
He did note that the twin 62 mm throttle body might be bit too large.
He said he could make the same power at 80 % throttle opening as he could at 100 %.

I tend to agree...twin 62 mm on a 281 cu. in. engine might be a bit too much.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back