NjsGT's build.... with pics!

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Those numbers seem pretty low to me for 16 psi. What cams you running?

Im not sure why the BOV being open is even a problem? Does JDM not like that setup?

I have an 8lb spring in mine and it opens around 15-17" vacuum with no fluttering that I've heard. My bov is mostly open when cruising, but the moment I put the pedal down it will snap shut. Maybe try an 8lb spring like Im using since we have similar vacuum numbers...

My car at warm idle pulls 22". When cruising in gear(and off the gas) vacuum will increase as rpm's increase.
Cams are stock. Im guessing the fluttering is being cause by a partly open bov at crusing speed. At a hot idle it makes no noise suggesting its closed all the way. They tuned the car with the BOV closed at idle but like I said I think theres something worng with the bov itself since the fluttering continues all the way up to -10hg. After the vac goes pasted -22hg the spring should be enough to keep it closed. Doesnt seem like this is happening

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Cams are stock. Im guessing the fluttering is being cause by a partly open bov at crusing speed. At a hot idle it makes no noise suggesting its closed all the way. They tuned the car with the BOV closed at idle but like I said I think theres something worng with the bov itself since the fluttering continues all the way up to -10hg. After the vac goes pasted -22hg the spring should be enough to keep it closed. Doesnt seem like this is happening
I can barely hear my bov at idle, but it is definately open. Just take a look or put your hand by it at idle and you'll know for sure. You will definately feel it if its like mine cause even at idle there is a lot of air coming out.

Fluttering is most likely the bov piston bouncing open and shut. Now that Im thinking about it you might have been given the wrong spring. I would open up the bov and check which color spring is currently installed. Like I said, mine is an 8lb and it opens right where it should going by the lb x 2 method.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I would agree with Jeff FRC. Stick the 8psi spring in there. I don't pull quite as much vacuum with the FRPP cams but it is still around -15 to -17hg at idle and will go down to -20 to -22hg or so at decel. Mine is also open at idle. You can't hear it but you can definitely feel it.

You should also be at a higher number with that much boost. He probably has timing taken out of the tune as a precaution. Get that sucka fixed and get back in there.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
This is normal for the bov on a supercharged car like jeff said. If you dont like the fluttering some have wrapped the valve in carb foam to get rid of the noise or get a softer spring so it opens easier.

8psi spring here
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63220&highlight=tial

foam
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58379

What rpm did they take it to?
Thanx LB, the fluttering is annolying and Its gotta go lol.. Ill send greg a PM. I deff dont need to go heavier right? Oh, the car looks like it was run up to 6500 on the sheet
Numbers are a lot ower than I anticipated... Definitely something not dialed in fully.
Yea, they are low..... But now that I look at the dyno sheet, the 541-483 was made on 13 psi.... I should change my sig again.... JimII did another run with less power at 16.8 psi! He must have it very conservitive since Im JDM's first blow through setup car..... You believe that? lol.. Check out the dyno sheet...
I would agree with Jeff FRC. Stick the 8psi spring in there. I don't pull quite as much vacuum with the FRPP cams but it is still around -15 to -17hg at idle and will go down to -20 to -22hg or so at decel. Mine is also open at idle. You can't hear it but you can definitely feel it.

You should also be at a higher number with that much boost. He probably has timing taken out of the tune as a precaution. Get that sucka fixed and get back in there.
Ill give that a try first then go from there, Thanx man

Last edited:

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Heres the dyno sheet. Check out the blue box/blue line numbers. Thats where the car was left and that run was at 13 psi.... Makes more sense of why the numbers are what they are. Actually they are nearly Identical to kurgans...

IMG_20110710_0850071.jpg

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct absolutely do not want a heavier spring.

Respectable numbers theres def more in it.

Yeaht the higher boost was probably really rich without as much timing thats why it made less.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Correct absolutely do not want a heavier spring.

Respectable numbers theres def more in it.

Yeaht the higher boost was probably really rich without as much timing thats why it made less.
And to top it off JimII thought it was still on stock internals so he didnt want to push it any higher plus I think he wasnt used to the fluttering since this was his first BOV vented blow thru car he tuned...

The cool thing is the car almost made 17 psi in 90* heat lol... Deff room for more growth :beer:

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
Graph looks good. Man I can't wait to have my hands on mine. Get that BOV figured out and you should be sitting around 600whp. How does the 541whp feel? It must be a nice push into the back of the seat:beer:

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Graph looks good. Man I can't wait to have my hands on mine. Get that BOV figured out and you should be sitting around 600whp. How does the 541whp feel? It must be a nice push into the back of the seat:beer:
Cant wait to see your final results as well Irish :beer: Im gonna try the 8 psi spring and see how it runs/idles.... Car feels great although I havnt completey put it to the floor from 1st-4th... Ill tell you what, you can really feel the torque jump from 3700-4100.... Check that bump up on the graph..... You get the "Holy fuck" look on your face when you hit that rpm lol
And I do believe with more timing/fuel at 16-17 psi it should pick up that 40-50whp and 40wt..... Just gotta decided on what I should do.... I do have alot to learn with launching a car at this power level and in a lame way, i dont wanna bite off more then I can chew... Ya know?

Last edited:

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
so how was the ride home? feel any difference?
Car feels great Chris, Ill get a Go-Pro vid later today if I have time. I have a shit load of yard work to get done at grandps house.....

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
I hear ya on that. I will need to relearn my car as well. I can't wait for some videos, you are all I have when it comes to my car until I get mine back Tuesday morning lol. I was to worried to go BOV because of the sound and tuning so I stuck with the Bypass valve and stock inlet tubing. I'm surprised the stock intake can make as much power as it does with all the sharp angles. I love the look of the power pipe but didn't want the hassle. We will see if it pays off.

No get out there and use that GoPro already, I'm dieing here:beer:

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Also, I wanna ask you guys this....

On decel/dragging a gear, Ill get a noticable amount of exhaust popping..... JimII told me thats mostly cause by the injectors being shut off and he can fix that... But he cant fix that till the maf signal gets straighten out which meens he wants the BOV closed at off the gas/idle.... Going with a 8 psi spring is doing everything he doesnt want to do.... So :wtf1: should I do? And do you guys get that exhaust popping also?

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
I hear ya on that. I will need to relearn my car as well. I can't wait for some videos, you are all I have when it comes to my car until I get mine back Tuesday morning lol. I was to worried to go BOV because of the sound and tuning so I stuck with the Bypass valve and stock inlet tubing. I'm surprised the stock intake can make as much power as it does with all the sharp angles. I love the look of the power pipe but didn't want the hassle. We will see if it pays off.

No get out there and use that GoPro already, I'm dieing here:beer:
Tractor/weedwacking first then Ill get that vid.... Although my grandpa's tractor rips some serious wheelies which would be cool to get on vid :beer:
Soon Ill get some vids.....

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
I personally would do what the tuner is telling me seeings he is doing the tune. JDM is a very experienced tuner so there advice is legit, now if it was some no name company I would have to think about it. If anything get a couple of springs to switch out to find the one that works best with what he needs.

Shat9611

Ex-ford tech
Reaction score

On decel/dragging a gear, Ill get a noticable amount of exhaust popping..... JimII told me thats mostly cause by the injectors being shut off and he can fix that... But he cant fix that till the maf signal gets straighten out which meens he wants the BOV closed at off the gas/idle.... Going with a 8 psi spring is doing everything he doesnt want to do.... So :wtf1: should I do? And do you guys get that exhaust popping also?

What are your afr's on decel??? And I think u may need to find a diff tuner ull never see the results u want if Jim can't even trust his own work just the fact that it made less hp at a higher psi shows u he's drowning it out with fuel, I wouldn't be suprised if ur getting that popping simply cause it's too rich

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And to top it off JimII thought it was still on stock internals so he didnt want to push it any higher plus I think he wasnt used to the fluttering since this was his first BOV vented blow thru car he tuned...

The cool thing is the car almost made 17 psi in 90* heat lol... Deff room for more growth :beer:

BOV has nothing to do with power output there is no issue with the bov. This is exactly how it acts on a blower car and is not hurting anything.

With a centri blower at idle the blower is pushing alot of air already. The maf is blow thru way down stream of the bov, there is no way it is affecting maf signal. The bov doesnt/cant create a vac leak or effect maf signal even if it was able to pull in air from there while it was open. (which it cant becasue the blower is pushing air out of it all the time.)

Your bov is between the blower and intercooler and the maf is between the intercooler and tb correct?

The bov spring pressure needs to based off vac at idle thats it, not at cruise or deccel. You want a spring thats strong enough to close it at idle or be slightly open at idle. If the spring is too stiff the bov wont open properly, no good can ever come by having too stiff of a spring.

What is your vac at idle?

I agree with the popping could be from running rich and unburnt fuel cooking off in the exhuast.

Last edited:

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
What are your afr's on decel??? And I think u may need to find a diff tuner ull never see the results u want if Jim can't even trust his own work just the fact that it made less hp at a higher psi shows u he's drowning it out with fuel, I wouldn't be suprised if ur getting that popping simply cause it's too rich
My a/f gauge will pin out, 16:1 or lean...... I believe thats the injectors pretty much shuting off which is part of the ford tune, all mustang will do that.... JimII did tell me he can add fuel which would get rid of the popping.... Another note, he did say on a hard decel, WOT to right off the pedal, the car will actually pull -30hg.... VCT also has something to do with it as that is always changing to IAT's during the run...

And I am considering the bold only because the lack of experiance tuning a car with this setup. The guys at JDM DO know their shit and do awesome quality work along with decades of tuning experiance.... When I popped my hood to see what they did , I was very happy with the type, quality, and amount of care they put into the car..... Some of you guys may know that I am a near licensed master plumber, when I do work on whatever job it may be, someone's home, a school (Jr, you know what Im talkin about haha), or a doctors office I take pride to give them a quality and professional job.... JDM is no different :thumb:

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back