Odd bumping coming from front

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Holy heck that thing had to have been at it for a while! glad it worked out for you man.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Not following you on the loosening the pinch bolt. As long as the bolt is in the ball joint's grove, you're good. Having the rack loose, but NOT touching the tie rod toe adjustments, your toe-in should be very close to before the work was done. But, bolting the rack back in may not put the rack back exactly where it was before. This would only make your steering wheel be off center (or off from where it was before the work) and not affect toe-in.

As for milage, I had detectable play in my ball joints @60K. And at 110K I finally got around to changing them when I did the A arm bushings. (prothane)

If you replace the A-arms it needs an alignment. Period. There is no way the arms that he took off match the arms that were on it. Get it aligned. An alignment is cheap compared to reducing the life of tires.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If you replace the A-arms it needs an alignment. Period. There is no way the arms that he took off match the arms that were on it. Get it aligned. An alignment is cheap compared to reducing the life of tires.
No it doesn't, there is no adjustment, not to mention the production parts used.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
You are correct in that there is no adjustment but that is not the only variable. There is play in the bolts (3 of them), there is play in the geometry, there is a difference in parts (even factory parts, it's called tolerance), the steering rack was moved and that's just a few of the differences. Add them up and there is a difference. It may be small enough to be close but usually it is not. Not to mention if the car was aligned with worn parts the alignment will be off with new parts. At a minimum I would have it checked. They do it for free.

Last edited:

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced my A-arms at 60K with the GT500 units (ball joints started making noise). When I took it for an alignment the toe was a little off but still in spec.

True there is no adjustment except for toe, but for me it was a sanity check to make sure everything was good.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot to update this after doing the other side. Car drives fantastic now. Steering is very tight. Anybody thinking of doing this, it's not that bad. I suggest an impact wrench to make things easier. Plus, flip the flag bolts the other way when doing the re-assembly. It will make it WAY easier.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back