off road h-pipe

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
EPA crackdown made them very hard to find. Most manufacturers don't want to risk an EPA fine. And the days of the offroad pipes making a noticeable increase of power are over anyway. Modern cats only cost 5-10hp at high rpms these days. You won't notice that. But you will notice the exhaust smells much worse.

07 Boss

Reaction score
that has bad reviews, the H isn't even real

My pipe has a crossover but mine attach to headers but same brand. Yes they are of mild steel and will corrode on you depending on where you live. As far fitment I never had any issues. All of my welds look solid. I have a a couple of mid-pipes and their headers. I'll try and take some close ups of the welds when I get home, if I remember, but I never had an issue with them. They are made in the US I believe.

But if you don't want pacesetter you can spend more for these.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-hfm26/make/ford/model/mustang/year/2007

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not a tech topic... moved - please review the posting rules

mulage

Reaction score
EXHAUST IS chit chat? and not tech?

chit chat would be where we eating lunch today, no?

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
EXHAUST IS chit chat? and not tech?

chit chat would be where we eating lunch today, no?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
But here's a thought. Why not just cut out your cats and weld some pipe in? Or just have an exhaust shop fab you up some pipes? Couldn't be more than $400 or so.

DBcooper

Reaction score
I purchased a kooks off-road H pipe when all this EPA business started. Very glad I did as they are now impossible to find. I noticed absolutely zero difference in horsepower. I also didn't seem to notice any horrible smells coming from my tailpipes like everybody likes to complain about. All exhaust smells like shit - cats or no cats

But with plans to run forced induction in the future and possibly a MSD 2 step, I feel much better having the cats removed. I guess I'm lucky to live in a state without emissions testing.

AHaze

Reaction score
I purchased a kooks off-road H pipe when all this EPA business started. Very glad I did as they are now impossible to find. I noticed absolutely zero difference in horsepower. I also didn't seem to notice any horrible smells coming from my tailpipes like everybody likes to complain about. All exhaust smells like shit - cats or no cats

But with plans to run forced induction in the future and possibly a MSD 2 step, I feel much better having the cats removed. I guess I'm lucky to live in a state without emissions testing.
I didn't think my exhaust smelled any worse after installing long tubes and an off road H pipe either (and at idle it isn't). Then I let my dad drive my car while I followed in his convertible. When he got into boost, the stench of raw fuel was brutal. You just can't smell it from the drivers seat. I'll be welding in some cats over the winter.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
stock manifolds

Why do you want to remove your stock cats? If it's for performance, you won't notice a 2% HP gain at the top of the rev range. You're only going to create more noise, pollute the atmosphere with more NOx, and upset the EPA.
I don't know if a catless car is street legal in NC but you'll want to find out before you take the plunge. Even if you do remove the cats, save them 'cause the precious metals inside them are worth a few $$$.
It shouldn't be difficult to find a standard length off-road H-pipe if you search in Google, but it might be easier as @07 Boss suggested to retain the stock H-pipe and splice a pair of SS pipes with 45 degree bends in place of the cats.
Inevitably you'll get a CEL with downstream O2 sensor codes but there are ways to remedy that. You can either have those sensors disabled in the tune (the EPA won't like that and a US based tuner would face a heavy fine), install MIL eliminators, or add O2 sensor spacers to position the downstream O2 sensors out of the exhaust gas stream.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Inevitably you'll get a CEL with downstream O2 sensor codes but there are ways to remedy that. You can either have those sensors disabled in the tune (the EPA won't like that and a US based tuner would face a heavy fine), install MIL eliminators, or add O2 sensor spacers to position the downstream O2 sensors out of the exhaust gas stream.

Tuners won't disable O2 sensors anymore.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back