Offroad Midpipe / LTs

vapor gt

Reaction score
Purchasing some kooks LTs and mid pipe next weekend, in decision i have ot choose OR or catted.. I live in NYS & as far as getting the car inspected is what Im worried about. My tuner told me that the 07+ models despite having the o2s turned off in the tune they will display "Not ready" on an inspectors computer.. ANy information on this? I'd appreciate it, thank you.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the rear 02s need to be on for the computer to show them ready. YOU WILL NOT PASS with them off, been there, done that in NYS. If you go to a shop that does it the right way and does a "visual" inspection for cats, you will fail.

use the rear O2s and go to a friendly shop and you'll get by.

Last edited:

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could do what I do. For 364 days per year, run an offroad midpipe and a tune with the rear O2s turned off. For 1 day of the year, I throw my catted midpipe back on, load the tune with the O2s on, drive the cycle published by Ford to get my readings all back to READY, then go get inspected. Drive home and undo.

You couldn't pay me to run cats all the time. I've melted two sets already. That's dangerous stuff.

vapor gt

Reaction score
Yeah I have a friend who will pass w/o visual i was just told the computer will still ready "O2 not ready" even after a drive cycle with the o2s off.. Thats what worried me.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a friend who will pass w/o visual i was just told the computer will still ready "O2 not ready" even after a drive cycle with the o2s off.. Thats what worried me.

that's correct as stated above..... O2 off = not ready = fail

/discussion

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just go with the cats and save yourself the trouble.
Until they melt, clog your exhaust, and cause catastrophic damage to your engine... in which case you'll have a world of trouble. Ask Don.

Some people also claim you can fool the rear O2s into thinking they're sensing more O2 than they are by using spark plug non-foulers on your rear O2s. I think there are some threads about it, somewhere.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
You could always buy OR mids and then just splice in the cats if you really need them. This is the route I plan to take.

patrick

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back