Ok, Popped that cherry...

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
As planned went to Atlanta Dragway for Fast Friday. Possibly due to the fact that it was Friday before a 3day weekend, NOBODY was there. You could get as many runs as you wanted.

So, never having done this in my life I staged my 2012 GT automatic, turned traction control off, O/D off, and mashed the gas. Lots of spinning at the line then hooked up. Twitched as it hit second, then as it hit 3rd time SLLLOOOOOWWWWWWED way down. I astutely observed the wall as the car went sideways, overcorrected to the centerline, then back to the wall, then centerline. Not a scratch on the car. ET - 24 seconds.

Traction control: ON for the rest of the day. Got 9 runs in (counting that first thing as a run), with the second going
14.18 then

Break for a hotdog. What I was having to do was feather the throttle for the 2nd to 3rd shift on every pass. It just wanted to go sideways, even with t/c on.

Finished the hot dog and hit the track.

Still had trouble off the line - my 60s were what killed me. Trapping the neighborhood of 102 - 107 all night. Reaction times ran in the .25 range.

This car is capable of great performance, and if I keep at it I might learn how to wring it out.

I HAD MORE FUN THAN I HAVE HAD SINCE I QUIT FLYING F-4 PHANTOMS!

Thanks to all who tendered advice!

Last edited:

Bad Intention

forum member
Reaction score
When you say u turned O/D off did you push the small button on lower part of the shifter. If so that is not O/D off. It is for when you are going up hill. On any of the passes when tires was spin ing did the car ever down shift due to the amount of spin?

The more you goto the track the better you will get a feel for the car. If you can find some cheep 18" rims and get a set of DR's for the track you will see some good passes.
Glad you seem to have enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
WILL be setting goals? I went back after the 13.1 because I wanted a 12 so bad I could taste it!

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
that button is not for racing.. mine went 13.1 my first time out. ran 7 runs that night.. all 13.1. steeda cai and bbr tune i went 12.6

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
That button may not be for racing but it does lock out 6th gear. Can't hurt.

When I learn how to do this the car will easily drop into the 12's as is.

Last edited:

jsnyng

Reaction score
Congrats man. I'm glad you got as many passes as you did and that the place wasn't a zoo. There's a LOT more to drag racing than "just mash the gas", huh? It's awesome that you had a great time. Let me know if you want to try your hand at autocrossing your GT. We have an event next Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway. You're more than welcome to compete or if you'd just like to ride along with me during my runs that would be fine too.

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
i hope its not going into 6th in a 1/4 mi lol
Not hardly, but on the first run after the sideways excursion I feathered too much and it upshifted before I wanted it too. I'm a new guy, so all the feed back is appreciated. It will all help next time.

Thanks!

Pete_Rockett

Reaction score
Congrats man. I'm glad you got as many passes as you did and that the place wasn't a zoo. There's a LOT more to drag racing than "just mash the gas", huh? It's awesome that you had a great time. Let me know if you want to try your hand at autocrossing your GT. We have an event next Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway. You're more than welcome to compete or if you'd just like to ride along with me during my runs that would be fine too.

"more than mashing the gas": no kidding! Each pass felt like i was making tiny adjustments that could give big results.
Autocross: Thanks for the invite. Can't make Sunday but if there is a website/mailing list for notification of future events I would probably give it a try.

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
As planned went to Atlanta Dragway for Fast Friday. Possibly due to the fact that it was Friday before a 3day weekend, NOBODY was there. You could get as many runs as you wanted.

So, never having done this in my life I staged my 2012 GT automatic (stock except for Bama 93 race tune), turned traction control off, O/D off, and mashed the gas. Lots of spinning at the line then hooked up. Twitched as it hit second, then as it hit 3rd time SLLLOOOOOWWWWWWED way down. I astutely observed the wall as the car went sideways, overcorrected to the centerline, then back to the wall, then centerline. Not a scratch on the car. ET - 24 seconds.

Traction control: ON for the rest of the day. Got 9 runs in (counting that first thing as a run), with the second going
14.18 then

Break for a hotdog. What I was having to do was feather the throttle for the 2nd to 3rd shift on every pass. It just wanted to go sideways, even with t/c on.

Finished the hot dog and put the 87 octane performance tune on and hit the track.

Still had trouble off the line - my 60s were what killed me. Trapping the neighborhood of 102 - 107 all night. Reaction times ran in the .25 range.

This car is capable of great performance, and if I keep at it I might learn how to wring it out.

I HAD MORE FUN THAN I HAVE HAD SINCE I QUIT FLYING F-4 PHANTOMS!

Thanks to all who tendered advice!

Im not sure what all is going on with your car, but you may think about getting a better tune. Fred's Grabber Blue 6AT went quicker than that with NO tune, and was mid 12's with a tune.

"Our 2011 Mustang GT Automatic with 510 Miles on the Odometer

Completely Stock It Ran 12.93 @ 113.43

The same day we loaded our Custom Tune and it ran a 12.61 @ 114.78"

This was last June, and there has been a lot more development with the tunes that we send out now. One of our regular customers got an 11 6AT about 3 months ago, strapped on a JLT intake, Roush springs, 3.73 gear swap, and went 12.1's on the stock tires, and 11.9s with drag radials.

You can get more info by giving either Fred or Kent a call here at the shop on Tuesday when we all get back from the holiday weekend. 610 485 3596

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Thats crazy bad traction, lol

With traction control on, even flat shifting my car into 2nd on these factory all seasons I only get a little bit of spin, not enough to get the car noticeable out of shape. Of course I dont have a tune or anything.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Are you lowering the tire pressure in your street tires? I dropped a full second by dropping pressure from 35 psi on 1st ever pass, down to 12 psi second pass. Dropped a full second. Now I have a spare pair of rims and dr's.

3.73-11

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on the et reductions as the night progressed op
When I ran my 11 3.7 in alabama with my buddy and his 11 5.0 he bet since it was my first time at a drag strip i'd be lucky to get a low 14 out of it. Well my first ever pass at a drag strip against a tree was a 14.1@99mph that was after driving 170+miles to get there non stop lol. I ran a total of 8 runs and managed to get in the 13s on 7 of the 8 runs with my best back-back hotlapped 13.7s.
+1 on the lowering your tire pressure I've tried 20psi-22psi&25psi and honestly 25psi seemed to work the best for me.
I've also tried just a good quick scuffing of the tires and doing a several second burnout.
Either way seemed to produce similar results for me I wasn't able to crack the 2.0 barrier for 60fts.
Also it seems on the 2011+models be it 5.0 or 3.7 leaving traction control on with street tires produces identical if not better results then with it off.
As all my best runs and my buddy with the 5.0 were with it fully on or in sport mode go figure eh?
I can say I'm really even madder now that I didn't go and try out my 96 cobra:321:
Really wish I had as it was so empty I would have gotten enough runs in to really get an idea what she'll do. From what I've read about the cobra cars I don't really expect to better my 2011 3.7 time of 13.7 but it would have been fun to try.
Damn it all I had a feeling because of the long weekend and the weather being iffy early morning not a lot of people would show up:mad2:
All well that's why they call them missed opportunities eh sorry rant over

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back