Opti Coat 2.0 vs Second Skin 6

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Was curious if any of you have any experience with both and which was:
- Easier to apply?
- And I know SS6 is relatively new, but if any of you had an idea of life of the products after applied?

Thanks

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
I can get more in depth after im off work but OC2 > SS6, but thats my personal opinion, other may disagree.

SS6 says 1+ year(s) depending on application and climate.

OC2 says "permanent" and must be buffed/polished off. From what I have seen I would expect at least 2 years, if not 5 before it might start looking like it would need a fresh coat, maybe even longer if it is well taken care of. People have done follow ups 2 years later and the paint still beads like crazy and looks great, but this really depends on the environment and how well you take care of the care, IMO.

It looks like they are both applied similarly. SS6 is sprayed on to an applicator where OC2 is dripped on to an applicator but both are applied by hand and spread over the paint.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be interested if you had any more to add. I'm honestly pretty ignorant to both products and was trying to understand the difference between the two (and cost difference).

Also, I've heard people talk about OC 2.0 being a PITA to apply, but it seems like it would just be time consuming more so than a pain to deal with.

I appreciate the info.

28ONE

Reaction score
You're better off with OC 2.0 vs SS6. SS6 is overpriced with fair results as reviewed by the folks on Autogeek forums. Hard to beat battle tested OC 2.0 just gotta make sure your paint is in excellent shape before coating...

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
You're better off with OC 2.0 vs SS6. SS6 is overpriced with fair results as reviewed by the folks on Autogeek forums. Hard to beat battle tested OC 2.0 just gotta make sure your paint is in excellent shape before coating...

Thats kind of what I was thinking (SS6 Over priced). I really like CG's stuff, but some times they seem to like their stuff a bit more than they should.

Yeah, I've been having to park both of our cars outside while we're waiting for our house to be finished up. In the spring I'm planning a full detail....just trying to think if I want to try and color sand mine before the OC2.0

28ONE

Reaction score
Thats kind of what I was thinking (SS6 Over priced). I really like CG's stuff, but some times they seem to like their stuff a bit more than they should.

Yeah, I've been having to park both of our cars outside while we're waiting for our house to be finished up. In the spring I'm planning a full detail....just trying to think if I want to try and color sand mine before the OC2.0

When I first started the obsession, I was all over CG products. Nothing wrong with them but through AG I have found better products that are cheaper. Not bashing CG or trying to sell AG, just sharing my opinion. I was scared apply OC2 myself, I tried out this new Pinnacle Black Label Coating, easy on easy off.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why were you scared of OC2.0? Is it the length of time it last and the work needed to remove it once on?

And don't get me wrong...I'm not married to CGs, they just have a couple of products that I REALLY like. But yeah, I almost get the impression that they try to draw business with the feeling of "it has to be better...it's more expencisve".
Ya know?

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
subbing on this one.

my car lives outside so in spring I want to try a more permanent approach to the seal/wax game.

problem is my car is black and has some battle scars from living outside. so before I do anything like this I will need some touchup paint, some PDR, and a certain amount of compound and polish.

after something like this is applied is it even worth putting any other wax on top? or do I just wash my car and TA-DA I'm all super glassy looking again.

also, I have heard of this stuff called Evo X. supposed to be the same thing as what we are talking about. anybody try it?

28ONE

Reaction score
I think biggest reason is I was new to detailing and of course car being black. After getting some education and experience with detailing, I'm definitely ready to apply OC2 on the wifeys next car. Eventually I may try OC on this mustang or maybe next one

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be interested if you had any more to add. I'm honestly pretty ignorant to both products and was trying to understand the difference between the two (and cost difference).

Also, I've heard people talk about OC 2.0 being a PITA to apply, but it seems like it would just be time consuming more so than a pain to deal with.

I appreciate the info.

Like you guys have been saying, IMO, CG's SS6 is over priced and the longevity/durability seems behind most, if not all, of its competitors. I personall went with OC2 (Just started a thread on it yesterday on here) due to its proven durability. I literally just applied OC2 on Sunday and had no issues. I watched about 15 youtube videos on people applying it and by about the 5th one, it gets very repetitive, lol. I started on the roof since it is mostly flat, easy to reach and I could get a good look at it from all sorts of different angles. You prime the applicator with an X pattern, fold it in on its self to help spread the product and start to apply. A good tip is to start in the middle of the area you are doing so you can spread the product from the middle out as opposed to getting a lot of build up on the edges of the panels, making it harder to spread and causing possible high spots. When you spread the product it makes the paint look wet and oily so you can tell where you have covered (I was hard to see at times on my car due to the color, Silver. White might be challenging but Black would probably be easy).After you cover the panel or area, let it sit for 5 minutes. Most of the product will self level and you wont even know its there any more. If any spots stay looking wet or oily, simply wipe it away with a MF towel and move on, it is that simple. It is amazing how such little product goes a long way. Of the 20cc's I used about 7cc's and was not stingy with it. Some people get 2 or 3 cars out of 20cc's. I would expect a nice long life from OC2, way longer the SS6.

Like 28ONE said SS6 seems over priced for what it is, plus only offers 1 year of protection and maybe less depending on the climate.

Thats kind of what I was thinking (SS6 Over priced). I really like CG's stuff, but some times they seem to like their stuff a bit more than they should.....

CG does make some good stuff, but to me they are often over hyped and there is something better but I really like their soaps and have some other things of theirs as well.

subbing on this one.

after something like this is applied is it even worth putting any other wax on top? or do I just wash my car and TA-DA I'm all super glassy looking again.

also, I have heard of this stuff called Evo X. supposed to be the same thing as what we are talking about. anybody try it?

Some people apply a top wax or QD spray to help the gloss effect. I will probably try a few different toppers so I will report back with my personal experiences. I am thinking just a QD spray like FK425 when I dry will keep it nice and shiny and slick.

I think biggest reason is I was new to detailing and of course car being black. After getting some education and experience with detailing, I'm definitely ready to apply OC2 on the wifeys next car. Eventually I may try OC on this mustang or maybe next one
You could easily handle OC2. Its all the prep work that takes the time. OC2 took me about an hour to apply, the prep was about 6-8 hours, lol

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I would personally go with OC. I've seen a lot of people try ss6 and have hated it and OC has been proven over and over. People had issues with ss6 streaking, sticky application/removal and the hydrophobic properties of a usual coating just wasn't there. If you want something no so "permanent" look into Sonax polymer net shield. It has 6 month durability and I think it will last much longer but it also has amazing hydrophobic properties.

CG makes some good products but they also seem to have of products that seem the same. They do make some good stuff I like their scents, their paste waxes are decent, and their signature series wheel cleaner is really good for the price.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen.

Looks like OC2 is the winner here.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back