P0340 code..I know new Alternator probably...advice...

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
got the dreaded P0340 code again...2nd time in 2 months...DTC and cleared...been hot here in FLA so I am thinking the Alt is starting to fail. I have read the TSB on the 05 mustang alternator...My car still is under warranty but probably will not be covered as the supercharger install...who has went with a aftermarket alternator..if so..what one...will this solve the dreaded P0340 code??should I bring it to the dealership and have them evaluate it....any advice,,,thx

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I got my last one (a "rebuilt" unit) from a local shop here in San Diego. It was half the cost of a new one from the dealer (who wouldn't warranty it because of the SC). The alternator I have now has a 1-yr warranty, and they don't care about my mods.

I also seem to recall that someone (dustindu4 maybe??) bought an aftermarket alternator... not sure who makes it though.

Last edited:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I also seem to recall that someone (dustindu4 maybe??) bought an aftermarket alternator... not sure who makes it though.
OK, I found it... it was dustin. He said he got a 200A unit from PA Performance for about $350.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing with mine and brought it straight to the dealer. If you get the code again, DONT CLEAR IT... leave it so the dealership can see it too. Bring in a copy of the TSB and good luck...
The dealership replaced mine under warranty but mostly because one of the chief mechanics was in the same position I am in when he was my age.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK, I found it... it was dustin. He said he got a 200A unit from PA Performance for about $350.

+1 I plan on getting this one although replacing the stock battery which the dealer and autozone claim was good seems to have fixed all my electric problems.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you get the P0340 code and it happens again, the alternator isn't going to last very long. After the first time I got the code my car was dead on the side of the road 3 weeks later. I had that alternator replaced under warranty. I went 20k miles before it died again. This time I didn't mess around and got the 200A alternator. After about 6k miles since then, no more codes.

400 is a lot of ching to spend on a part that doesn't make it go any faster. If you changed your alternator pulley, you're going to have a hard time at a regular ford dealership getting a warranty replacement. Try to find a performance oriented dealer in yoru area. It also helps if you know somebody.

Wait until the code comes back, don't clear it, and bring it in. Then hope for the best they fix it for you for free.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I threw the code off and on a while back. I'd have to check my paper work to when I had it replaced. But the Ford house took care of it for me no problem. They guy doing the work on my car said they had this problem with the Explorers but never really heard much on the Mustangs. BTW, he owned an 06 GT and said if I have any problems just bring it in and they would fix me up...I still don't trust that though....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back