P0340 code

BLEV1NS

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm new to the s197 forum I have a 2006 gt with a P0340 code with is cam sensor failure bank 1 I am a ford tech I just have been off work dude to a wreck I've had and haven't been able to get to my IDS/VCM has any one had this code or have any ideals what cases it i changed both cam sensors for my experience with other mustang I'm pretty sure it's the alternator just wandering if anyone had this problem or knows a solution

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
do a search and you'll find numerous posts on the subject as well as how to solve it hope we can be of help some day people will learn to use punctuation it is late time for another beer

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Well since ur a tech at a dealer u have the tools to test the alternator with the VMM. If its good. Then I can be a mechanical issue. Check for low oil pressure at normal operating temp, and check compression bank to bank and see if one bank is higher than the other. This should let you know if its a base engine concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
I had the code about a 1k miles after my stuff was put back together. Apparently the sensor wasn't fully plugged in and it finally vibrated enough to where it didn't have a good connection. Plugged it in cleared code and never came back.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It drove me nuts on my wife's 05 GT vert. Changed the cam sensor, checked oil pressure, pulled valve covers to check the phaser, all was clean... Freakin light kept coming back after every start up. Damn car only has 50k on it. The Vert is the leisure car and by no means daily driven. A month later and 250 miles worth of driving and the battery light came on along with the check engine light. Replaced the alternator, and no more idiot lights...

G.T

Reaction score
the cam position sensors are merely a magnetic pick up that hardly gets damaged on these cars.

it's your alternator.
as it gets older, internal shielding starts to fail allowing the alternator to emit Electro-Magnetic Interference which messes with your cam sensors.

the easiest way to verify this, is to swap the driver side and passenger side sensors.. if the error persists, you have a 95% chance of it being the alternator

(the 5% is the unlikely possibility of a wiring harness problem.. but that should be obvious)

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
Was getting the same code 2-3 weeks ago. After searches here its seems like that code is actually code for replacing the alternator, much like the "low coolant" light on the old RX7s was "replace motor." Got a new one and it hasn't come back.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back