Painting CDC chin spoiler!?!

stang03

forum member
Reaction score
This may need to be in another forum, if so it can be moved; this seemed like the right spot.

Ok, so I have the black unpainted CDC chin spoiler. Over the past two days, I two toned it, white and black.

I cleaned it (aircraft), soap/water, Primed it x3, painted x4, clear coat enamel x4....let it set for 12-24 hours before driving.

Well after driving it the first day it is already beat to hell. chipped and stuff, and looks ghetto. So I need to redo it, are there any tips/tricks, tell me what I did wrong, tell me where to get quality paint products, anything! Just need to know how to fix it and make it look good!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 2010-09-14_18-34-31_459.jpg
    2010-09-14_18-34-31_459.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 386

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
I used Duplicolor Perfect Match for mine. I only let it set about 16 hours before driving. I've not had an issue yet.

As for the process: I sanded it down, used a black primer, sanded smooth in between each coat, 4 coats of color sanded down in between each coat, and 3 coats of clear.

60478_443238631976_502701976_5583898_4434429_n.jpg

stang03

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm I used the same paint as you! I didnt sand between each layer, but I did sand with 2000 grit prior to the first layer of clear coat.

I assume I am going to have to buy Aircraft remover for plastics, and redo the whole thing!? With it being chipped, i cant really just spray over it!

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
I did NOT paint the middle a gloss black though. I left it a semi-flat black. I didn't like it being too glossy and not matching the middle grilles as much.

Next time, just try to sand in between coats and hopefully that helps.

stang03

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, if I redo it I will paint it a flat black as well. After seeing the gloss black on there, it's too shiny for my taste.

How long did yo let it dry before sanding? What grit did you use?

Midnight00SE

forum member
Reaction score
I forget what grit it was. I think it was a 200 soft pad I had laying around. Maybe 25-30 in between coats before sanding.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need to use a paint with a flexing agent in it so that it doesn't crack when it bends.

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
You need to use a paint with a flexing agent in it so that it doesn't crack when it bends.

Agreed 100% - I had a buddy do mine, and within weeks it was cracking and chipping apart.

I re-did it myself with a flex agent in the paint, and I haven't had a problem in over a year now:thumb2:

slammed 06

forum member
Reaction score
My local body shop painted mine and as stated before put the flex agent in as well as an adheirent to allow the high rise primer to stick to the urathane. They also baked it after the clear was applied for a short while and told me not to mount it for a day. They clear they used is also used on benz's, a super hard 300.00 a gallon stuff.

chinpixs001Largee-mailview.jpg

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
^^ a Benz has no different clear than any other vehicle,lol.

Your main problem is you did not sand/scuff it before you painted it. You need to use a red scuff pad to lightly sand it. After sanding hit it with Bulldog adhiesion promoter,Then paint it, and clear it with some REAL clearcoat with flex additive.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Also, something I forgot is that some plastic parts are not cleaned at the factory from the release agent. They make speacial stuff to clean that crap off. Ive seen bumpers look perfect. Bolt them on and powerwash the vehicle prior to sending it out and the paint all flys off.

ibeheretoo

Reaction score
I would agree that at least some of the release agent was still on the part.

big-j

Reaction score
bad ass looks kinda like the cs bumper wish i could do that to mine but mine is black so wouldnt look as good as other colors do

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
^^ a Benz has no different clear than any other vehicle,lol.

Your main problem is you did not sand/scuff it before you painted it. You need to use a red scuff pad to lightly sand it. After sanding hit it with Bulldog adhiesion promoter,Then paint it, and clear it with some REAL clearcoat with flex additive.

Can I do the same thing if I want to paint my bumper cover? Also, what should I use to fill a small dent in it?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Can I do the same thing if I want to paint my bumper cover? Also, what should I use to fill a small dent in it?

As long as your bumper is urethane then yes. Bulldog is really good stuff and is the industry standard for paint adhesive.

george06

forum member
Reaction score
Just "PLASTIC DIP" it. All you need to do is wash & paint, if you don't like it peel it and start all over. That is what i did to mine no complaints. $5.99 for the can@ Home Depot.

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Thanks guys! What should I use to fill a small dent?

Plastic resin or epoxy will do the trick. Clean the surface. Scuff it up. Apply it, then wait for it to cure completely. Then sand it down and prime + paint.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back