PCV Oil Seperator Install

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
ok so i have a saleen blower on my car, should i get a catch can? and will this end my start up puff? i see clogged heat exchanger in the future if left un treated

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
i see everyone only does the driver side, shouldnt the passenger side have a catch can too.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
FYI, and it's a V6 w/blower, but I only get oil from the driver side valve cover. The passenger side doesn't force out as much oil like the driver side does.
For racing, I use breathers on both sides, and the passenger side is still bone-dry, while the driver side gets a little oil soak.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
So is it a yay or nay on leaving the filter in the Husky separator?

Wraith413

Reaction score
Used the "hose loop" method on my '09 GT. The car only has 3500 miles on it and driving for the first time today with it on, it's already catching oil. The Husky filter I got from Home Depot has a sintered bronze filter in it,vice the white cotton(?) filter. The Husky filter also has a drain petcock style valve on the bottom. I used 1/2 inch fuel line on mine.
I may buy another Ford PCV hose later from McRee and mod the hose that way, we'll see.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
nay for the husky filter. Mine was the bronze one and took it out cuz it didnt do crap. worked better with it out.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have breathers on both sides and get zero oil on the drivers side. I get enough oil on the passenger side that it pools up on the valve cover and I'm tired of cleaning it. I need to figure out the parts for a dual line vented catch can.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I kept the K&N breather on the drivers side and ran a Steffs breather can from the passenger side. Nice seeing that valve cover stay clean.

slammer223

Reaction score
I made my separator using the Ford PCV tubing (bought a new one) and a Home Depot Husky air/water separator and a couple of 3/8 brass pipe nipples. When I looked at the Husky separator, the drain on the bottom is designed to operate with pressure in the bowl, but this application puts it under vacuum, thus making it tend to open. Even with a plug covering the drain outlet, it did just as I suspected and puts a few drops of the trapped oil onto the valve cover. So my bottom line...wasted money purchasing the Husky sep. when I should have gotten purpose-built oil/air sep. in the first place.

ixtlan

Reaction score
I dont know the p/n on my filter.
It has a standard air valve in it like a tire valve.
Never had a problem with it opening at all.
But it is from 2007 and they may have changed a bit since then too.
Important thing I found was some filters did not let me blow thru them very easy.
So I figured the light vacuum would not work with them well.
The Husky was easy to draw thru so I went with that one.

lobe50

Reaction score
Guys,

As long as you're installing one of these units, I've got a couple more suggestions:

1)
I paid around $12 for mine. It was so cheap I decided to do a little experiment. I wanted to see how much oil was NOT being captured so I installed a pair in series. I did this on my '03 Terminator when I owned it. Guess what? Each trapped the same amount of oil (see pic)! I can't help but wonder how much is still being passed through....

2)
If you're using full synthetic oil, remove the white "filter" like I've done. It is not compatible with synthetic oil.

other side?

On the Terminator, I've read the passenger side passes a minute amount of oil. On my S197, I wasn't sure so I installed a pair, similar to my Terminator. After 4,000 miles, take a look to see how much oil was captured. Hardly any at all. For the same mileage, my catch can (driver's side) has trapped almost one inch of oil.

Willie

I was looking into doing this mod this winter, BUT these pictures concern me???

It looks like the oil vapor is just going right thru the single filter?
How can this be??
Does it make this mod worthless??

Speedfreak

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get either the Ford OEM pcv tube or OEM style PCV tube for my setup... any ideas where I can get it online?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back