PCV Oil Seperator Install

Speedfreak

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. I asked the dealer here and they quoted $80! That's why i'm looking for it online instead...

Edit: Got it for $22... the sales person screwed up!

Last edited:

prinzzz

forum member
Reaction score
I have breathers on both sides and get zero oil on the drivers side. I get enough oil on the passenger side that it pools up on the valve cover and I'm tired of cleaning it. I need to figure out the parts for a dual line vented catch can.
here ya go

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 158
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 141

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Nice-looking setup. Keep in mind, if it matters, that oil will accumulate in dips in the line; that could clog the passenger side venting in the pics above.
To keep the lines open, try to keep it so oil will run out the hoses, either to the can or back to the valve cover.

ALSO, for those of you using cheapy filters from Lowes or Home Depot, those filters usually are NOT air-tight on the bottom drains! Try the blow-through or suction test, you'll see what I mean. The bottom drains are designed so that under compressed air pressure inside the filter housing, the pressure pushes down on a spring and check-ball in the drain, closing it. But when pressure is removed, the spring allows the check-ball to rise and as a result, the valve does not close.
I simple change can be made to make the valve close when the drain lever is in the closed position, regardless of pressure. If you put a different spring or shorter spring with flat spacer inside the drain assembly, it will close. Make sure the drain can open when turned to the drain-open position. I've made this mod on 3 filters so far (sorry, no pics handy).

Last edited:

lobe50

Reaction score
Guys,

As long as you're installing one of these units, I've got a couple more suggestions:

1)
I paid around $12 for mine. It was so cheap I decided to do a little experiment. I wanted to see how much oil was NOT being captured so I installed a pair in series. I did this on my '03 Terminator when I owned it. Guess what? Each trapped the same amount of oil (see pic)! I can't help but wonder how much is still being passed through....

2)
If you're using full synthetic oil, remove the white "filter" like I've done. It is not compatible with synthetic oil.

other side?

On the Terminator, I've read the passenger side passes a minute amount of oil. On my S197, I wasn't sure so I installed a pair, similar to my Terminator. After 4,000 miles, take a look to see how much oil was captured. Hardly any at all. For the same mileage, my catch can (driver's side) has trapped almost one inch of oil.

Willie

Did you or anyone figure out how oil is getting by the 1st seperator and into the 2nd??

Also...As far as the Husky filter...What type of adapters are you using to step the size up to the 5/8" Hose of the Stock PCV line that Whipple has you modify to still use the Quick Disconnect ends?? I have the Whipple HO kit and was planning on putting it inline. But the Nipples off the Husky are much small than the ID of the Hose running from the valve cover to the blower inlet side.

It seems a piece of fuel line on the nipple kinda "shims" the size up to a nice tight fit in the PCV as a quick fix????

Thanks

Last edited:

big-j

Reaction score
i just orderd 2 of oil seperator off ebay for 20 buck but i will thes wrk they look diffrent.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Did you or anyone figure out how oil is getting by the 1st seperator and into the 2nd??

Also...As far as the Husky filter...What type of adapters are you using to step the size up to the 5/8" Hose of the Stock PCV line that Whipple has you modify to still use the Quick Disconnect ends?? I have the Whipple HO kit and was planning on putting it inline. But the Nipples off the Husky are much small than the ID of the Hose running from the valve cover to the blower inlet side.

It seems a piece of fuel line on the nipple kinda "shims" the size up to a nice tight fit in the PCV as a quick fix????

Thanks

I used half inch fuel hose from napa which fits over the stock qd fittings nice and tight. I then used half inch to 3/8 reducers to get it to fit the bottle fittings.

patrick

Phire

Reaction score
Thanks ixtlan

I"m a new member that found an old thread you posted on how to install a pvc oil catch can similar to that of the one Steeda sales.
i own a 2008 RaceCraft and I intenended to boost my psi up to 10. I new a pcv oil catch would help to prolong the life of my engine. Thanks to you I did it for a lot less and it works like a dream. And for the record I'm making 479rwhp 437tq to the wheels. Thanks again.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I dumped a decent amount of oil today
And only 700 miles on can

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
ok, so I did this mod today after changing my oil after 5k miles and seeing how low I was. I used a haulsfield campbell air filter. Its rated at 150psi, i dont know how much any of this matter, I'm just verifying im not gonna grenade something at WOT lol

SDC10334.jpg

Spent about $25 total, and used a 90* elbow on the in so I didnt have to loop a big thing of hose, and its light enough that the hose supports the weight of the seperator

ixtlan

Reaction score
The pressure rating is not so much a issue as this is vacuum on the drivers side. I chose the Husky because it flowed with less restriction. If you could blow through the CH filter with little effort you shouldn't have a problem.

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
think i should take the filter out of this thing all together? if there was any restriction i bet that would be it

ixtlan

Reaction score
think i should take the filter out of this thing all together? if there was any restriction i bet that would be it

No the filter separates the oil from the air.
Just run it awhile and see if you trap oil.
If you do it works fine.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I wish booz would post pics of the setup he had when the 3v was still in his car...that was such a clean setup

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back