PCV valve?

dlanes

Reaction score
Is there any downside to removing the plastic PCV valve? I want to replace it with AN fittings for my catch can. This is how I currently have it:

171862616_736878083663242_3380083580141505338_n.jpg

crjackson

Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend removing the PCV valve, but I’d definitely put the fasteners back on the strut towers.

dlanes

Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend removing the PCV valve, but I’d definitely put the fasteners back on the strut towers.
I took the strut brace off, that's why. Also need to finish putting a bracket on for catch can. This is not finished, this is just how it is right now.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could replace it with an inline check valve. I removed the PCV valve on my car as I am using breathers and have no tubes going back to the intake but if you are routing them back to the intake, you can use a check valve instead.
No idea what you'd need for a cracking pressure for the valve though.

dlanes

Reaction score
You could replace it with an inline check valve. I removed the PCV valve on my car as I am using breathers and have no tubes going back to the intake but if you are routing them back to the intake, you can use a check valve instead.
I actually found a check valve that should work in place of the PCV valve. This is the part I'm going to use: https://www.amazon.com/UPR-Non-Return-Check-Valve-Diesel/dp/B07HBB2PSX

crjackson

Reaction score
I took the strut brace off, that's why. Also need to finish putting a bracket on for catch can. This is not finished, this is just how it is right now.

I knew that, I was only joking. Forgive my dry levity.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is zero good reason to remove PCV. It doesn't cost enough power to effect performance when functioning correctly and if it functions correctly it also reduces NOX. There is no benefit to making higher NOX. IN fact, removing PCV can contribute to more pre-ignition.

dlanes

Reaction score
There is zero good reason to remove PCV. It doesn't cost enough power to effect performance when functioning correctly and if it functions correctly it also reduces NOX. There is no benefit to making higher NOX. IN fact, removing PCV can contribute to more pre-ignition.
I'm not removing the PCV system I am removing the stock valve. I am going to replace it with a check valve. (I think it is a flapper valve style). It should function almost the same as OEM.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Is there any downside to removing the plastic PCV valve? I want to replace it with AN fittings for my catch can. This is how I currently have it:

View attachment 77393

As long as your replacing with an inline check valve? there is no downside to removing the plastic OEM PCV valve. Unfortunately for those of us who have the older 2005-10 3 valve cars don't have removable plastic PCV valves, but are rather integrated PCV valve meters inside the cam cover. The only way they can physically be removed is by cutting open the PCV tube housings from within the cam cover.

Hope your aware that on the 2005-10 4.6L 3 valve cars, there are no removable PCV valves like the Coyote 5.0 cars have. They instead have an integrated PCV meter valve inside the driver's side cam cover. Unless the PCV tube housing from inside the cam cover is first cut open? the PCV meter valve cannot physically be removed. Therefore, it would be totally useless to run a closed breather setup if the PCV meter valve has not been first removed :shrug:

Last edited:

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hope your aware that on the 2005-10 4.6L 3 valve cars, there are no removable PCV valves like the Coyote 5.0 cars have. They instead have an integrated PCV meter valve inside the driver's side cam cover. Unless the PCV tube housing from inside the cam cover is first cut open? the PCV meter valve cannot physically be removed. Therefore, it would be totally useless to run a closed breather setup if the PCV meter valve has not been first removed :shrug:
I know, that's is why I suggested adding a check valve as it appeared from the photo that he is running a closed system on his coyote.
I removed mine in my 09 like 8 years ago. I used epoxy rather than welding the tube back together and it still looks like it did on the underside as it did in 2013.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Obviously I’m a little shy on my emissions education. I do use the factory PCV on my 3 valve with a catch can. Can you tell me how sucking oil into the intake manifold will reduce NOX?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are sucking oil you have a separate issue to deal with. You do understand that PCV is for pulling un-burnt gasses and fumes from the crankcase that escape through the ring package? If it is pulling oil, you have probably got blow by issues or the PCV its self is malfunctioning. PVC does not (shouldn't) function at low speed high vacuum use. It only operates at low vacuum high engine speed. At light throttle and cruising speed PCV doesn't even function. If everything is right and it still pulls oil then a catch can would be warranted.

PVC and EGR reduce combustion temps without inhibiting combustion. If combustion temps are too high excess NOX is created.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Every 3v sucks in oil with the stock pcv valve configuration. I took the intake off my car with 10,000km on it to do CMCV delete plugs and there was almost a full pint of oil throughout the intake after setting it on the drainpan and leaving it over night.
The factory system is pretty ineffective.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Confused my systems. EGR reduces NOX. But the PVC still has little to no impact on performance and keeps things cleaner.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I know, that's is why I suggested adding a check valve as it appeared from the photo that he is running a closed system on his coyote.
I removed mine in my 09 like 8 years ago. I used epoxy rather than welding the tube back together and it still looks like it did on the underside as it did in 2013.
From the images in his post, it appears the PCV system is still fully active connected to an oil separator/catch can. Unless his catch can is a breathable type? It doesn't appear he's running any type of a closed, breather setup on his Coyote. Unless I somehow overlooked something? he just wants to replace his Coyote's cam cover and intake manifold ports with AN fittings just as his catch can has along with adding an inline check valve as a direct replacement for his Coyote's PCV valve, but yet would still function much in the very same way while also keeping the factory PCV system fully active. Anyhow, I actually tried running a closed breather setup on my "06" GT until finding out about having to cut open the PCV housing tube inside of the driver's side cam cover just in order to remove the PCV valve meter. Therefore, I went back to the active PCV setup, but added the UPR 4 chamber catch can included with an inline one-way check valve. Three years later, no crankcase oil residue has entered the intake manifold at all. Meanwhile, it's really good to know you didn't run into any issues with removing your PCV valve from inside the cam cover and also how well your breather setup has been running as well :waytogo:

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Closed means that it is hooked back into the intake system, open means that there are breathers allowing air in from the outside, aka open to atmosphere. At least in my world.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry. Confused my systems. EGR reduces NOX. But the PVC still has little to no impact on performance and keeps things cleaner.
The factory PCV system on the 3 valves do anything but keep things cleaner, especially when it comes to crankcase oil residue being sucked into the intake manifold. This was exactly the reason for adding an oil separator/catch can with inline one-way check valve.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Closed means that it is hooked back into the intake system, open means that there are breathers allowing air in from the outside, aka open to atmosphere. At least in my world.
You're exactly right, my terminology was backwards lol. I should had stated the active PCV system is closed directly into the intake system vs open breather setups which completely bypass the PCV via intake system altogether. Therefore, I stand 100% corrected :waytogo:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Knowing that my PCV valve/meter is still intact inside the driver's side cam cover, is running an inline check valve between the cam cover and catch can providing any type of additional protection or would it be better to just not use an inline check valve at all while the PCV valve inside the driver's side cam cover tube is still active?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back