Pedal Commander - Howzit Work ???

richie9mt

Reaction score
I saw this thing advertised on a Motortrend TV show...Car Fixit or some name...two guys working on cars...

Anyway, it looked interesting so I went to the web site -

https://pedalcommander.com/products/ford-mustang

Simple plug & play between the accelerator pedal connection. Box stick-on to dash, buttons to push, ~$300. Looks sort of techie, reviews here seem fairly positive (for OEM tunes).

But I can't find a definitive description of how it eliminates throttle run-on, or starting lag, or cures erectile dysfunction.

I've taken my accelerator pedal apart and cleaned the contacts, and that didn't help. But a new pedal did help with startup 'flat spot'. Didn't totally eliminate it, but helped. I don't scream as much now. :)

So now I'm wondering just how this Pedal Commander eliminates the startup 'flat spot'.

Anyone know???install-pc18.jpg

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I don't know about startup flat spot, but my simple understanding about pedal commanders is that they trick the ECU/TPS in regards to your pedal position. It makes the acceleration come on faster so it feels like you added horsepower to your car. But you actually didn't.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Always thought the pedal interface was a gimmick... And for $300 a waste of money, but what do I know.

I have owned several (86, 88, 96 & 06) and currently own Mustang (87 and 05), and none have a flat spot when accelerating. I would address the flat spot issue first...

Mailman

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats. You have now beaten this issue to death and beyond!. You're talking about the same issue that you brought up months ago about tearing your accelerator pedal apart because the "spring" was too strong. The pedal commander would fix your issue as would any of the cheaper models, as would a 'canned' Bama tune (which fixed that problem and more on my '05.) They come with a guarantee, why don't you try one?
And I can't wait til the Big Boy Smart Guys see I responded :rolleyes:.

richie9mt

Reaction score
I don't know about startup flat spot, but my simple understanding about pedal commanders is that they trick the ECU/TPS in regards to your pedal position. It makes the acceleration come on faster so it feels like you added horsepower to your car. But you actually didn't.

I think of it as a 'flat spot' but in other posts/forums members call it a 'delay'.

I posted a pic of the actual contacts inside the pedal; they're not linear like a rheostat. There's a series of contacts that increase or decrease the voltage according to how the various contacts are connected. A space-saving way to cram more incremental combinations in a smaller space, I think.

So maybe this expensive device just decreases the choices available? Instead of 1 to 2, it jumps 1 to 3, or 1 to 4 [race setting]??? Or maybe even 2 to 4 in a different mode???

The posts here all seem to agree that it is only beneficial to a 'stock' tune. But it is plug & play, no ECU programming required. And is owner-removable.

I'm not quite prepared to shell out the big bucks for it, but things like this always make me curious. :D

Last edited:

richie9mt

Reaction score
You're talking about the same issue that you brought up months ago about tearing your accelerator pedal apart because the "spring" was too strong.

There's actually two springs inside the pedal. :)

return-springs-jpg.84123

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I think of it as a 'flat spot' but in other posts/forums members call it a 'delay'.

I posted a pic of the actual contacts inside the pedal; they're not linear like a rheostat. There's a series of contacts that increase or decrease the voltage according to how the various contacts are connected. A space-saving way to cram more incremental combinations in a smaller space, I think.

So maybe this expensive device just decreases the choices available? Instead of 1 to 2, it jumps 1 to 3, or 1 to 4 [race setting]??? Or maybe even 2 to 4 in a different mode???

The posts here all seem to agree that it is only beneficial to a 'stock' tune. But it is plag & play, no ECU programming required. And is owner-removable.

I'm not quite prepared to shell out the big bucks for it, but things like this always make me curious. :D

It's no different that putting a device (forget what they're called atm) in your MAF to trick it into making the fuel curve richer. Your not doing anything beneficial with this thing, it's all in your mind. The only thing this is going to do is lighten your wallet.

If by delay you mean you floor it and it takes 1/2 a second to go full throttle, welcome to drive by wire. It's never been an issue with any of the drive by wire cars that I've driven. If it's that noticeable or problematic, then you have a bigger issue going on and this is just a band-aid that may or may not fix your perception of the "problem" that's going on.

bambam 06

Reaction score
I saw this thing advertised on a Motortrend TV show...Car Fixit or some name...two guys working on cars...

Anyway, it looked interesting so I went to the web site -

https://pedalcommander.com/products/ford-mustang

Simple plug & play between the accelerator pedal connection. Box stick-on to dash, buttons to push, ~$300. Looks sort of techie, reviews here seem fairly positive (for OEM tunes).

But I can't find a definitive description of how it eliminates throttle run-on, or starting lag, or cures erectile dysfunction.

I've taken my accelerator pedal apart and cleaned the contacts, and that didn't help. But a new pedal did help with startup 'flat spot'. Didn't totally eliminate it, but helped. I don't scream as much now. :)

So now I'm wondering just how this Pedal Commander eliminates the startup 'flat spot'.

Anyone know???View attachment 85703

I have one installed in my 06 gt, i don't remember the brand name, but it wasn't $300.00. From day one i set it at racing and never looked back. Acceleration from standing is amazing, it's been on approximately 2.5 years, no complaints.

richie9mt

Reaction score
I have one installed in my 06 gt..

It took a while for your comment to sink in...The PC website says that the applicable model Pedal Commander [PC18] is only for -

"5th Gen (2011-2014)(3.7L-4.0L-4.6L-5.0L-5.4L-5.8L)"

Does it actually work on the 2005-2010 models as well???

What would have changed between 2010 and 2011 to make them change their product??? Wiring? UCU? Plugs?

JimC

Reaction score
2005 - 2010 didn't have the 3.7L or the 5.0L.

And 2011-2014 didn't have the 4.0L, 4.6L. There was a change in engine and PCM from 2010 to the 2011+ model years.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back