Performance tire opinion

Dennis Thomas

Reaction score
I’ve got 18x9 and 18x10 Shelby 500 wheels for my 2009 GT. Pondering for what tires to match. Street and strip racing. No snow driving and rarely in the rain driving.

Mickey Thompson street comp tire seem pretty nice. Suggestions based on your experience would be great

thanks

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Street Comps do not stick very well. Youd be better off on Nitto G2's

Dennis Thomas

Reaction score
Right now the power is around 475-500 at the flywheel. Doing some more work, goal is around 550-600 when all said and done

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMO, at that power level, a DR is your best bet for rear tire if you want to be able to accelerate w/o being a spin show

Right now the power is around 475-500 at the flywheel.
what engine dyno did you use to get that reading?

Dennis Thomas

Reaction score
475-500 is estimated gross not rwhp, based on stock numbers plus promised gains from upgraded parts. My goal of 550-600 is just based on what a stock 3v 4.6 can handle. I’ve heard 450-500 at the wheel tops. On the fence about upgrading internals. But anyways. I’m getting everything done in the spring, starting with tires and brakes first. No official Dyno yet

09KR0045

Reaction score
Also for optimum wheel tire sizing advice and the best Mustang performance wheels I have seen google Apex Racing Wheels.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
****this is a comment from the staff on forum moderation****
this forum has historically let members post comments with very limited moderation, you post it, you own it, it's rare that we delete threads or comments, also rare that we ban members for posts. it's been a place that has allowed nearly all commentary and has let the members battle out their views in full public view.

Please do not quote this post or comment back on it - this is not to derail the thread - if you have an issue on this topic please PM me or start a thread in the "suggestions" sub-forum.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
475-500 is estimated gross not rwhp, based on stock numbers plus promised gains from upgraded parts. My goal of 550-600 is just based on what a stock 3v 4.6 can handle. I’ve heard 450-500 at the wheel tops. On the fence about upgrading internals. But anyways. I’m getting everything done in the spring, starting with tires and brakes first. No official Dyno yet

Which blower did you use to achieve 475-500 flywheel hp ??

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I advise you to stay away from Nitto G2s. I am running them and they have zero grip on launch. They do not give much warning when they let go on a corner ether. Butterfly’s!

MrBhp

Reaction score
I advise you to stay away from Nitto G2s. I am running them and they have zero grip on launch. They do not give much warning when they let go on a corner ether. Butterfly’s!
My experience with G2's has been they are bricks when cold and grease when hot.

The Nitto NT05's hooked good on my car. YMMV

Reaction score
I’ve got 18x9 and 18x10 Shelby 500 wheels for my 2009 GT. Pondering for what tires to match. Street and strip racing. No snow driving and rarely in the rain driving.

Mickey Thompson street comp tire seem pretty nice. Suggestions based on your experience would be great

thanks
I had Cooper Zeon RS-3 's which I think are the same as MT street comp and they would not hook up worth a damn. Switched to Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's and they stick like glue. You will like the price too.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
I agree 100% on the Indy 500’s. Best all value and tire I’ve used on my Mustang. I’ve used Cooper RS3s, KDW’s, Kumhos, etc. Price and performance are unmatched in my opinion.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back