Picked up a new Tensioner

07 Boss

Reaction score
Had a Thump Racing belt tensioner on there for quite a few miles. Started making noise no matter what pulley I put on there so I think it was internal with the spring/swing mechanism. Anyways I just threw a stocker on there for a while and actually went through two as the pulleys are now plastic. Anyhow went and picked up a new Steeda tensioner with billet pulley from CJ Pony because their warehouse is right here in town.

Just an FYI you need a short extension to articulate the arm as the actual arm is thicker and the little slot to stick your 1/2" drive is inset. I didn't have a short enough extension so I ended up putting the old one back on till this afternoon. Silly me. Should have checked but it's not like I never swapped the tensioner out.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Interesting. What is your final verdict? Did the Steeda billet tensioner cure the problem???

Nope. Grrrrrrrrr. Anyways I'm just gonna swap out idler pulleys one at a time until the noise goes away. Funny thing is it squeals at a different time now. Under light acceleration (10% throttle) and only a bit while coasting. If I get on it the slightest bit it goes away. I can't replicate it at idle and even with the rear wheels off the ground I tried to simulate the scenario to get it to squeal but I can never get it to make a peep. It needs a slight load on the engine before she starts making noise.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
On that Steeda unit, I have a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter that would work perfect (instead of an extension). I've never used it and never will, it was one of those extra pieces in a kit. If you want it it's yours.

07 Boss

Reaction score
On that Steeda unit, I have a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter that would work perfect (instead of an extension). I've never used it and never will, it was one of those extra pieces in a kit. If you want it it's yours.

Thanks, just went out and got a 3" 1/2" extension. Didn't even think about using the 3/8 to 1/2 adaptor. prolly fits perfect. The tensioner is in already but the noise moved in the power band and is driving me crazy.

Tman

forum member
Reaction score
Try removing the belt and wiping down all the pulleys. Then put on a new belt. If that doesn’t do it try the Roush tensioner it’s pretty strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have an assortment of Steeda and silver horse racing pulleys and found I can replace the bearings rather than the entire pulley. After having a Roush tensioner break I installed the dob frankentensioner. It seams to work fine.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have an assortment of Steeda and silver horse racing pulleys and found I can replace the bearings rather than the entire pulley. After having a Roush tensioner break I installed the dob frankentensioner. It seams to work fine.

I have a set of billet pulleys. I have some on the car and some aren't. I will check and see if they can be rebuilt. Last time I went to order some they said they were out and not knowing when they were going to get a chance to do another run.

DieHarder

Reaction score

Second the DOB tensioner. Works great.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I will check and see if they can be rebuilt.
I can see the snap ring holding the bearing in the tensioner pulley in your picture. Likely the other pulleys have something similar on the back side. The bearing will have a number printed on the outside race and sometimes on the seal.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I can see the snap ring holding the bearing in the tensioner pulley in your picture. Likely the other pulleys have something similar on the back side. The bearing will have a number printed on the outside race and sometimes on the seal.

I'm hoping it's one of those as opposed to the AC or PS pump. I have another alternator and the stock pump siting around somewhere.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I’ve read the electric water pumps can be repaired but I have not done that. I have one to install along with an overdrive damper.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back