Popped the HPDE cherry - Buttonwillow Raceway

chilema

Reaction score
I've decided to come out of lurking! Hard to believe it's been something like 6 months since my last post on my autocross build thread (which still do plan on updating, once next season starts). Just wanted to throw in a separate post about HPDE which is something completely new to me despite having autocrossed for about 5 years now.

A quick update on the car:

The Mustang finally received some power mods! In addition to the parts list in my signature the car now runs a Boss 302 intake manifold, Lethal Performance off-road H-pipe, and 47lb injectors to run E85 fuel. The car was remotely tuned by Shaun at AED and if healthy should be making about 400-410 whp on pump gas and 420-430whp on E85 (have not taken it to a dyno though).

The Hoosier A6's that I bought on clearance from Hoosier have corded a long time ago and since August I've been doing as many autocross events as I can on the 285/35/18 Hankook RS-3 street tires on clearance from Tirerack that others on this forum have also purchased. I must say it was a great refresher for my smoothness and discipline with the throttle!

Also, in preparation for the track day (and because my HP Plus pads are just about gone anyway), the car received some Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads. Since the track did not sell E85 and it was a good 250 miles away I did swapped the tune back to run on pump gas.

11/29/13 Black Friday track day @ Buttonwillow:

Thanks to some peer pressure a couple of months ago I decided to sign up for a day-after-Thanksgiving track day at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. It was going to be my first time ever on a road course and I was more than a bit nervous about surviving the day unscathed. The biggest concern I had was the downshifting, as I never really have to do so for autocross and I hardly ever try heel-toe downshifts on the street, but seeing as this track was very momentum-friendly there weren't a lot of places where you absolutely HAD to downshift in a Coyote powered Mustang with 3.73 gears and short-ish tires. I could take the whole lap in 4th (and being a total track newbie I did for a while).

We ran the ever-popular CW13 configuration:

race_13_config.gif

In hindsight putting myself in Novice (HPDE 1) group was good from the perspective of learning the track at a pressure-free pace, and the first 2 out of 4 sessions where lead-follow sessions with instructors in their cars. However, I was definitely out-pacing the group to the point that there wasn't a single lap where I did not need a point-by. Here's a video of two relatively clean laps I got. Did a 2:19 on the first one after basically coming to a stop due to another car going off and kicking up a lot of dust, and the second lap where I cooked the brake fluid (ATE super blue, but Base GT brakes are as bad with heat as Terry @ Vorshlag says they are) and overshot the final corner (was on pace for a 2:11 lap).

sy4k.jpg

12/8/13 Buttinwillow track day:

This is probably an itch that every autocrosser just has to scratch...I had a blast on my first track day but not being able to get a clean lap down was gnawing away at me. So I signed up for another track day happening at Buttonwillow the weekend after.

I was unceremoniously tossed into HPDE-3 after blurting out that I run a 2:10-11 lap when asked by registration (optimistic extrapolation on my part). Fortunately I was able to fall into line in HPDE-3 pretty comfortably and managed my 2:11 lap on the first session. The 3 year old Hankook RS-3's did not like the mid-30s temperature that morning so I had a spin on my first corner of lap 1 for two sessions straight. The motor sure loved the cool temperatures though! :)

I did have a better time finding clear track in HPDE-3 than -1 but my particular group had a pretty large lap time range (2:02s - 2:20) so I did have to drop back and point by for some fast guys quite a few times. However all in all I'm just glad that all the drivers were pretty courteous about letting each other by and safety was not an issue the whole day.

I was pretty happy to knock my time down to a best lap of 2:08 at the end of my second session which was good for top 1/4 of HPDE3 group. I decided to try some heel-toe downshifts (but only on the first and last corners of the lap haha) and it turned out better than expected. I'm sure a lot more time could be found by using 3rd gear more often around the course and being more aggressive but I thought I did okay at focusing on smoothness and rhythm for now. Having autocrossed for 5 years definitely helps in the car-control and mental rhythm perspective!

Here's the 2:08 lap, not spectacular for a car with this much power (even if it was on street tires) but I was told it was pretty good for someone on their second track day. You can laugh but I wasn't about to drive with windows down all day in 30-something degree weather with bare hands, so I paid retail at the track shop for my fabulous Sparco gloves :p

I plan on doing some more track days after the end of the upcoming autocross season, when it gets cooler again around November. At that point I will probably upgrade to some Brembo package front brakes for the heat capacity, but in the mean time I'd like to keep my puny but lighter stock brakes for autocross.

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I love Buttonwillow! My first/last time there I think I was running 2:14's on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It boggles my mind that you were able to use fourth for the whole track...I was using 2nd 3rd and 4th. Then again I guess we have two completely different transmissions. Cant wait to be back out there:

chilema

Reaction score
I love Buttonwillow! My first/last time there I think I was running 2:14's on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It boggles my mind that you were able to use fourth for the whole track...I was using 2nd 3rd and 4th. Then again I guess we have two completely different transmissions. Cant wait to be back out there:

I see GREEN! So this place isn't a desert year-round afterall...lol!

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome to the addiction. I autocross'd for years and still do from time to time but I have yet to find the same excitement I get on the track doing an autocross. My favorite track is Watkins Glen. When you are going up the esse's and you feel like you have one foot in the grave, then you know you are doing it right. I have yet to get that feeling at an autocross.

I like to refer to track time like a crack addict getting his fix, it is the only cure. The winter months in the Northeast are so depressing for all the track-tards around here. We are counting the days until it gets warm out again.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Thanks, now you've made my itch worse. ;p Life got in the way, so no track days for me yet (I had planned some for this year). At least I snuck in a few autocrosses though.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Man I hate winter too. Last track event of the year is Saturday, and then the winter break until February. Man that sucks.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like a ton of fun!

+1 to making the itch worse. I will probably end up doing one this upcoming season since I'm decently close to VIR and my friends have been bugging me to do one for a long time now ha

speedform

Reaction score
I sure miss good ol' BW. Since moving to MI. my track outings have been cut in half. Thanks a lot seasons!!!
Best of luck nursing that new found open track bite. Once I started attending road course events after autocrossing for years, I never went back to cone dodging.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Whats's great is that in Southern California, Winter is track season. Because in the summer it is too damn hot. Great driving by the way. Looks like a great course. Itching to get out there. Love the Chicane.

c_reber

Reaction score
Buttonwillow is a fun track, I was there a couple times this year. I really want to do a sub-2 minute time, and I think it can be achieved with more practice. (and maybe a little more power ;) )

Those are really good times for a first timer, congrats! :thumb: Especially on stock suspension. Big brakes definitely help at the track. Maybe I'll see you out there next year.

I need to find a job with weekends off, right now, I work friday-tuesday, so it's tough for me to take a day off work for a trackday. But hope to get out there a few times at least next year.

chilema

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words! I actually use AST coilovers haha. The spring rate, camber, and toe are setup for autocross on Hoosiers (3.7 degrees camber and a bit of toe out) so the car actually felt a bit nervous on a track. How do you like the Whiteline watts link for tackling the apex curbing on track? I'm just barely getting by dealing with the good'ole hop-and-settle with my panhard setup :/

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
yep I'll be there

I won't be on the track. Can't get the car up the driveway. 200 yards of ice and slush. Tomorrow morning the driveway should be all ice with large ruts from my truck. I am going to stop by and drop off the toys and food I got for this event. Have fun if I don't see ya.

How do you like the Whiteline watts link for tackling the apex curbing on track?

WL Watts made a big difference in the way my car handles on the track. I went from WL ajd. PHB to the Watts and I will never go back. Also, I have the AST 4150s on my car. I have gain speed on my laps mostly from coming out of the turns with greater speed then I used to carry. My car is completely equipped with WL everything. My engine is completely stock right now.

The WL Watts adds weight to the car, but is well worth it for handling. My car weighs 3513 lbs and 3738 lbs with me in it. Trying to change that last weight. The cheapest mod I can think of is to loss some weight. Check to see if it changes your class in autocross with the WL Watts before putting out the money for it. If you got bit by the track bug just do it and get more track time. Join NASA and that should give you more track time. Keep having fun.

Last edited:

c_reber

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words! I actually use AST coilovers haha. The spring rate, camber, and toe are setup for autocross on Hoosiers (3.7 degrees camber and a bit of toe out) so the car actually felt a bit nervous on a track. How do you like the Whiteline watts link for tackling the apex curbing on track? I'm just barely getting by dealing with the good'ole hop-and-settle with my panhard setup :/

WL Watts made a big difference in the way my car handles on the track. I went from WL ajd. PHB to the Watts and I will never go back. Also, I have the AST 4150s on my car. I have gain speed on my laps mostly from coming out of the turns with greater speed then I used to carry. My car is completely equipped with WL everything. My engine is completely stock right now.

The WL Watts adds weight to the car, but is well worth it for handling.

AST's, nice! Yeah, that's a lot of camber!

And I agree with 2013MustangGT, it was a huge difference (mostly felt coming out of corners). I went from stock PH bar to it, so it was a major difference on my car. Helps put the power down coming out of a corner, and if there are any bumps in the corner also.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back