Post accident vibration

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hell, I thought this was the how much do I pay for insurance thread so I quit following it.

They have the rear end disassembled and did not find anything that looked bad or bent, but have ordered parts anyway and (I think) taking the shot gun approach.

Man I feel for ya, when the "seach and destroy" method starts that can get ultra expensive. If all else fails you can do the "country boy" method of trouble shooting. remove the drive shaft and have someone pull you down the road at vibration speed, that will absolutely eliminate axles, wheel spindles and everything else not drive train related. I know it sounds stupid, but thats how I tracked down a d/s problem in my younger years....lol

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To be honest Im not looking out for the ins company just Hawg. As much as we pay for ins I think they can hadle it. If its on his dime though the axles are here and waiting.
Not looking out for the ins companies :wtf:, I was was stating thatby providing the axles, Hawg would have an argument to convince the mthrfcking ins guy to try that approach. Obviously the intent of my suggestion wasn't understood.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Not looking out for the ins companies :wtf:, I was was stating thatby providing the axles, Hawg would have an argument to convince the mthrfcking ins guy to try that approach. Obviously the intent of my suggestion wasn't understood.
LOL, I guess not !

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BTW, Hawg, have you drawn any conclusions or have you shed further light on the problem?

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
Vibrates simulating the same speed scenario with it on a lift.
DOES NOT vibrate simulating the same speed scenario with the driveline disconnected.

One way to narrow it down, remove the axles (keep the ring&pinion and LSD in place) and try the 70MPH on the lift again. If there's no vibration then replace the axles and bearings. If not it could be the output shaft on the tranny (no it didn't vibrate with the driveline disconnected, but a output shaft vibrating is not noticeable however an output shaft vibrating with a 20lbs driveshaft attached to it is very noticeable, this could also explain the change in vibration when you change drive shafts), the driveshaft or perhaps something to do with the pinion.
Dan

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back