Power Stop or Detroit Axle for brakes?

Thomas Messink

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I need your recommendation on replacement brake pads and rotors on a daily driver 2005 Mustang GT 5 Speed. Power Stop or Detroit Axle?
Thank you!

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On this board, this belongs in Mustang Chit-Chat, this is not a tech topic. I've never heard of Detroit Axle. Centric is my go to brand for rotors, pads depend on the application but I like OE pads on daily drivers.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I never heard of Detroit Axle either.

I happen to prefer pads with a bit more 'bite' (coefficient of friction) than OE even in my street-driven-only cars, so for them my go-to choices are either G-loc GS-1 or Carbotech 1521 (essentially the same formulation).

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ford rotors. Had centric, and a few other aftermarket brands. Centric is best of the nonOEM rotors. Ford rotors are still better than Centric. Track tested HPDE driven, all but the Ford rotors I warped. And they cost about the same as Centrics.
Pads: street, I like Hawk HP Plus but they do produce some brake dust. Trackable pads.
Currently, Im running factory pads that came with calipers I got off ebay. I like these too. Great for the street on Ford rotors, less dust over the Hawks.
Those are the only pads I have run on the street. From personal experience, I think the rotors matter more than the pads on the street.
Want to get rid of the mushy stock pedal, braided caliper hoses make a huge improvement over the stock rubber lines.

RavenGT

Reaction score
For an 05 GT daily driver Autozone Duralast rotors and pads will be fine.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
For an 05 GT daily driver Autozone Duralast rotors and pads will be fine.
Last time I went that route for somebody else's daily driver, the rotors were fine but the pads (mass-market ceramics) never felt the same three times in a row.

Chances are, most people don't notice stuff like that, but to me it genuinely sucked going into every time using the brakes not being quite sure how they were going respond or feel.

Hard pass.

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Not run ceramic pads yet. I have my first set in the garage for our other daily. Not too happy about Norm's observation, but no going back now.
Damn autozone duralast cheap pads just keep going like the energizer bunny. And they are decent pads for a daily, stop well, quiet and not bad at all for brake dust.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, I will notice for sure any braking inconsistency. Wife may not though.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
I'm happy with the Hawk 5.0 pads. Changed the fronts two years ago and was very happy with the increased initial bite that they provided. Just changed the rears a couple weeks ago. Got them bedded nicely and they felt good though I haven't had a whole lot of miles to test them somewhat aggressively. And now it is snowing...

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put me down in the ceramic pads haters club. I used them on one of my explorers and the feel and the stopping distances made me feel very uneasy. The set I used had very little bite until you pressed the pedal down almost half way. The only nice thing was less brake dust but I'll trade washing my wheels more frequently to have decent feel.

Last edited:

RavenGT

Reaction score
Installed many sets of these and similar from Advance and NAPA. Don't recall a single comback for warped rotors. So...

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Installed many sets of these and similar from Advance and NAPA. Don't recall a single comback for warped rotors. So...
The non Ford rotors I had were ok on the street. Warped bad a few minutes into the first track session.

I deduce from that experience that those nonFord rotors cannot handle temperatures the Ford ones can. And some ppl are harder on brakes then others. This also proved to myself what is already been posted here about brakes and rotors here on s197 corner carvers section.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
The non Ford rotors I had were ok on the street. Warped bad a few minutes into the first track session.
I would tend to agree with this. I never had the car I had those rotors on the track, but I guess I was harder than usual on them.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with this. I never had the car I had those rotors on the track, but I guess I was harder than usual on them.
Had a sticking caliper on my other daily. Bad warp/brake pulsation every time out. I fixed the calipers, replaced the rubber hoses, flushed brakes. Still running same pads and rotors, and the warp never came back. Yea, fhis is the car I have the ceramics and new rotors for...damn duralast pads will not wear out!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back