Purchasing a High-mileage S197

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
I've come across an 05 GT for sale locally with 170,000 miles on it. 5-spd, only 'mods' are a set of flowmasters. Car was used by seller's wife as a daily driver. She put 120 miles a day on it, 5 days a week, commuting to her job. They are the original owner, and say the car has never given them any issues, has had it's oil changed at the dealer every 5K miles, etc. Car looks really nice. If the price is right, what would your concerns be? What should I look for? Any input/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ochoblanco

Slow 4v Member
Reaction score
For me as long as its in decent shape (exterior, CARFAX clean), the price is right for a high mileage car, it passes a full vehicle inspection from a tech I trust and the computer hasn't been flashed...I am good to go. We all know its not a difficult process to "de-mod" a car quickly and return it to stock format. Easier to leave on the Flows than try and find stock ones (no return value).

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I would have him change the spark plugs before you buy it as a condition to purchase...just saying...

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
If the price is right, I'd have no problem buying an S197 with 170K miles. If you are familair with these cars, you should be able to tell if it's been modded. Check the CAI bolts to see if they have been changed. That would be the tell- tale sign, since a CAI and tune is the first mod most people do.

There was a thread on here a while back from a guy who had turned 200K on his 3V, and it was amazing how little he had to do to it to keep it going for so long with no issues. These are pretty tough, reliable cars.

And if the previous owner did 120 highway miles a day, I am sure you know that those miles are pretty easy miles on a vehicle.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Id love to have one for a daily driver. Bone stock High miles should mean cheap price.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score

Thanks for looking out! Mine is a 07 for $9900!! Meaning NOT first year production, auxiliary input, heated seats, and some other goodies from factory. I bought it bone stock about a year ago. I can take it to ford for an inspection and I can guarantee you it'll pass. Has very minor issues, but I'm willing to work something out. I put 20k miles on this car and it has NEVER given me issues! Never had to take it in for repairs, changed oil ever 3k miles!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've come across an 05 GT for sale locally with 170,000 miles on it. 5-spd, only 'mods' are a set of flowmasters. Car was used by seller's wife as a daily driver. She put 120 miles a day on it, 5 days a week, commuting to her job. They are the original owner, and say the car has never given them any issues, has had it's oil changed at the dealer every 5K miles, etc. Car looks really nice. If the price is right, what would your concerns be? What should I look for? Any input/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd just make sure it runs and drives good. Scan for codes, check the wheel bearings and other wear items. Make sure that any issues are priced into it. Ask if the fuel pump tsb was done. Maybe someone on the forum could run the vin in oasis for you.

Do you have any crazy plans for it?

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
I would have him change the spark plugs before you buy it as a condition to purchase...just saying...
Spark plugs were changed at 125K miles. According to the seller, car has never seen a tune or a mod, other than the flowmasters. He wanted it reliable for his wife, so it was kept stock. She wanted more 'growl' to the exhaust.
Thanks, everyone, for all the input. I'll post again if I make a move on it.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
I'd just make sure it runs and drives good. Scan for codes, check the wheel bearings and other wear items. Make sure that any issues are priced into it. Ask if the fuel pump tsb was done. Maybe someone on the forum could run the vin in oasis for you.

Do you have any crazy plans for it?

No crazy plans. I'm all show, no go.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Ive never seen one with those kind of miles for sale. If you don't mind what are they asking for it with those miles.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Ive never seen one with those kind of miles for sale. If you don't mind what are they asking for it with those miles.

Asking $10,500. Seems high, but in my neck of the woods, it's the cheapest S197 around. Haven't seen the car in person yet, but based on all the pics I've seen, it's been very well taken care of.

slowlyrolling

Shifting
Reaction score
I wouldn't give over $6k for the 05 with that many miles. Only that much if the body is PERFECT. High mileage is a waste of money to me since I buy and sell so much. I've never owned a vehicle with over 65k miles...

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
Why pay 10,000 for that when you can get ones with less than half the miles for a few grand more. Seems penny wise but dollar foolish. If you buy a car with that mileage, plan on keeping it forever because you are going to have a hell of a time selling it.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
You're assuming I will pay that. I never said I would full asking price. What the guys is asking and what I'm willing to pay are two entirely different entities. Thanks for the input.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
There is a 07 with 165k miles for $9900 in the classifieds on the forum!

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Theres a roush charged one close to me that has 100k miles on it and a bunch of mods for around that price.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
I would think at that price that it would be worth the money to find one at the same dollar somewhere else in the country with lower miles and have it shipped. In all fairness, 170k at 120 miles a day is 5.4 years (of 5 day work weeks) of highway miles— really not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I'd be shocked if that car had ever been beaten on.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Just checked out the car. It is in very good condition. Clearly evident it has been garaged and well cared for. However, he's firm on $9500, so I passed. He'll either come down, or someone else will pick it up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back