Pushrod s197 Road racer...

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
Just noticed the engine swap section, so I'll add a mine to the list....
2005 Mustang GT road racer - Raced in American Iron with NASA. Our race class is a HP/Torque to weight class, we can run any ford engine in a ford chassis, any chevy engine in a chevy chassis, etc. Most of the 4.6 cars are being converted to the coyote engine. I went the other way. Based on the rules we can run more torque to weight than we can HP to weight. I've never seen a coyote or 4.6 make more torque than HP, but a pushrod can!

Specs:
Boss block 347, Scat crank, rods, Mahle pistons, small custom solid roller camshaft, Canfield heads, RPM airgap intake, MD650 carb. Mid-length headers to dual 2.5" exhaust. External single stage oil pump. Nice, simple, reliable. Custom engine cradle to set the engine low and back, TKO600 transmission with 0.80 5th gear ratio. 8.8 rear w/ 3.90 gears and torsen differential. Custom (DIY) SLA front suspension on Penske 7500DA shocks, watts link rear. Road race aero package, Stoptech brakes, fuel cell. Car scales out at 3550 lbs with driver + 150lbs ballast, 50.1% rear weight, and 50.2% cross weight. With a restrictor plate under the carb she makes 390 ft/lbs rear wheel torque, 373 rear wheel HP. Unrestricted 410 rwhp, 404rw ft/lbs torque...

Fun car to drive fast...

Dyno sheet

SLA front suspension

SBF looks tiny in the massive engine bay...

...even smaller bare....

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Haha oh so tiny!! Very nice build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while Moonwalking

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Is your steering rack closed off (no pump)?

I was considering a dry sump setup to clear the power steering (via removal of the from hump on the pan), but that's overly expensive ($3K!). Your remote wet sump setup sounds interesting. What's involved in setting up such a system? Did you use/modify a stock pan? Do you need a vacuum pump?

What did you do for the accelerator pedal? My plan is to use a Fox body accelerator pedal (unless your setup is a better idea - grin).

I was also toying with the idea of putting the exhaust tips in the same place. Do they make a kit for that, or is that purely fabricated racer stuff? :)

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Nice! What SLA kit is that?

It's in the OP:

Specs:
Boss block 347, Scat crank, rods, Mahle pistons, small custom solid roller camshaft, Canfield heads, RPM airgap intake, MD650 carb. Mid-length headers to dual 2.5" exhaust. External single stage oil pump. Nice, simple, reliable. Custom engine cradle to set the engine low and back, TKO600 transmission with 0.80 5th gear ratio. 8.8 rear w/ 3.90 gears and torsen differential. Custom (DIY) SLA front suspension on Penske 7500DA shocks, watts link rear. Road race aero package, Stoptech brakes, fuel cell. Car scales out at 3550 lbs with driver + 150lbs ballast, 50.1% rear weight, and 50.2% cross weight. With a restrictor plate under the carb she makes 390 ft/lbs rear wheel torque, 373 rear wheel HP. Unrestricted 410 rwhp, 404rw ft/lbs torque...

Nice car. And, yes that pushrod looks tiny in there.

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
Nice! What SLA kit is that?

Mine.. Designed using Suspension Analyzer software, and fab'ed with parts from various venders. K-member is from Ross Murray, LCA's are tubular Cortex Racing parts with taller ball joints, upper control arms are SPC. Spindles modified by me, as are the upper shock mounts and the upper A-arm mount. Swaybar is Eibach bar shortened...

This is the second one I've done - built one for the fox car I used to race. It made a tremendous difference in that car, probably due to the really crappy stock geometry. This one not so much, but I've only raced one weekend on the new stuff. On paper it's much better than the strut setup (for cornering) so we'll keep working on it...

Is your steering rack closed off (no pump)?

I was considering a dry sump setup to clear the power steering (via removal of the from hump on the pan), but that's overly expensive ($3K!). Your remote wet sump setup sounds interesting. What's involved in setting up such a system? Did you use/modify a stock pan? Do you need a vacuum pump?

What did you do for the accelerator pedal? My plan is to use a Fox body accelerator pedal (unless your setup is a better idea - grin).

I was also toying with the idea of putting the exhaust tips in the same place. Do they make a kit for that, or is that purely fabricated racer stuff? :)

No, it's still hydraulic. Just used a KRC pump with adjustable flow control, with -6AN fitting welded on the stock hard lines to the rack. Pretty easy to do.

Accelerator pedal was one of the more difficult things to do... Still not real happy with what I have, but I used a cast aluminum pedal from Speedway Motors and fab'ed the firewall mount. I use a Lokar cable setup too. The pedal is a bit loose, but you can shim it up the make it better. I put a false floor in the driver side, 'cause my feet wont touch the pedals if my heel is on the floor. Made it difficult to heel-toe, and I kept screwing up the downshifts.

Exhaust all fabbed too. With the fuel cell in the back it was just itching for side exhaust...

Last edited by a moderator:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SBF looks tiny in the massive engine bay...
IMG_0025_zps6211b784.jpg
[/URL]

You know the drag racer in me says that there is plenty of room for twin turbos....:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
You know the drag racer in me says that there is plenty of room for twin turbos....:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

And the road racer in him says no way in hell given the huge weight they'd require him to run and the propensity for heat soak.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And the road racer in him says no way in hell given the huge weight they'd require him to run and the propensity for heat soak.

Well then he has to build another one so he has one of each.....one for the road course and one for the drag strip.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes. The course has a very long straightaway with a 180 degree turn at the end.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back