Pushrod s197 Road racer...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool build. How much lighter is that engine over the stock one?

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Somone asked me what the weight diff is between my new Windsor and a Coyote.

I've been looking around for most of the morning regarding weight comparisons, but without knowing the specs of the Windsor being discussed, it's difficult to make use of the info. For instance, a Windsor with aluminum heads is supposed to be lighter than a 289/302 with iron heads. But is that just the long block, or is that a fully assembled engine including an iron intake, valve covers, carb, blah blah blan?

I think the only proper way to measure both engines is to do so with a fully assembled engine in both cases, including the intake systems, engine dress (valve covers, oil pan, etc), exhaust, flywheel and clutch.

The only sure way to know the difference for a given setup is to weigh the car with the old power train, and then weigh it again with the new power train (probably with a full take of fuel both times).

I'll be weighing my car before and after my swap. I expect a net weight gain (going from V6/auto to Windosor/T56), but no more than 100 pounds or so because I'm replacing the k-member, using an aluminum flywheel, and aluminum heads.

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
I did scale my car before the swap, and now don't remember the exact numbers. Except to say the aluminum headed boss 302 block (some 70lbs heavier than a stock 302 block) engine and TKO 600 was less weight than the 4.6 and 3650 stock setup. Not alot less, but less nonetheless...

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
This aluminum headed 374cid stroker from ford racing is 553lbs:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11892

And a coyote is 544 lbs:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13113

So it looks like they are very close, especially considering the 374 stroker has a Boss 4 bolt main block which, by itself, would be heavier.

That engine is based on a Boss 351 windsor block, which is probably 70lbs heavier than the smaller 302 Boss windsor block like mine. I think that's the difference (70lbs) between a stock 302 block vs a stock 351 block...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So that makes the case that a 351W should be lighter then the Coyote, which makes sense as the Coyote is a physically big motor (as wide as a BBF).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back