Question for those who tune 5.0s

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Im taking my car to the track tomorrow evening. the only modifications are JLT CAI/email tune (tuned for 93 octane all i run), o/r x-pipe and barton shifter bracket. thats all.

the car currently has a tune from what i consider to be an extremely reputable tuner, however in light of all the broken #8 piston garbage my confidence is somewhat shaken.

so i ask...tuners, if i were running your tune could you say with the utmost confidence my car will hold together tomorrow night?

i would like some of them to chime in. this is not to start a dick measuring contest, nor is it to call anyone out or discredit anyone. I just want to know that the tuners are confident, which will in turn boost my confidence. does that make sense?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
b9d51e4f_flamesuit.jpg

Just run it KFH! No one can predict the ramifications of beating on a car will yield at any given time. When the light turns green..................pray for the next 13 seconds.. LOL:la:

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
b9d51e4f_flamesuit.jpg

Just run it KFH! No one can predict the ramifications of beating on a car will yield at any given time.
If i get flamed so be it.

however, im of a mindset that it SHOULD take more than 2 simple modifications to hammer a stock motor. i think most would agree.

i guess what im after is some kind of addressing to the whole "#8 piston" debacle.

it seems clear to me from what ive read thus far that the tune seems to be the #1 culprit, i would think most would agree. i would also think the majority of tuners would also be aware of this and be making recommendations/adjustments or what not.

not to worry, i plan on adding a couple of gallons of 110 just to ward off detonation. i am in no way messing with my existing tune. i would just like a tuners perspective on this is all.

like i said in my opening post, this is not intended to smear or shit talk or drive any buses. i would just like information.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I think the tunes were multifactoral whereas some were related to manipulating the knock sensors, some were done by backyard tuners, and some had a little of both.

The 5.0 is a beast. You should be fine.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I think the tunes were multifactoral whereas some were related to manipulating the knock sensors, some were done by backyard tuners, and some had a little of both.

The 5.0 is a beast. You should be fine.
i agree with your post. like i said, i guess im just looking for a little re-assurance from those who actually do the tuning.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
If you have a good tuner I wouldn't worry about it.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Can you read plugs ? I wonder what the cause is myself. I think that there is an inherent problem with #8 that Ford was probably able to compensate for. Since most tuners tune by AFR and not plugs, they don't see any variance from cyl to cyl.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
How old is your tune? If it is a "reputable tuner" then IF they manipulated the knock sensors, you should have gotten a revised tune. The "reputable" tuners(I believe) made amends the tunes that were defunct. ( I thought)

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even think Ford would give you the assurance you're looking for with the stock calibration.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
^^^ truer words have never been spoken............

If it blows, tell FORD you were running to the store for milk and bread and NOT ¼ mile at a time. LOL!!!:lol2:

Last edited:

2010GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have seen 3 of the MAJOR tuners make a statement on another forum that their tunes are safe and are NOT causing the dreaded #8 explosion. As far as unknown entity tuners, those are the ones I would be worried about.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have seen 3 of the MAJOR tuners make a statement on another forum that their tunes are safe and are NOT causing the dreaded #8 explosion. As far as unknown entity tuners, those are the ones I would be worried about.

Who?

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even think Ford would give you the assurance you're looking for with the stock calibration.

Eh, I don't see why not. But with a tune, I wouldn't want to back it if I was Ford.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

Both BBR and American Muscle (Bama) made statements here that their tunes for the 5.0 were safe. Bama did say they sent out two weeks worth of 5.0 tunes early in the game that had the knock sensor settings altered but they sent revisions to the folks that had those tunes. I haven't heard any of them offer a warranty against the #8 failure though.

Edit: Livernious also said they made revisions to some tunes they sent out with altered knock sensor settings.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Can you read plugs ? I wonder what the cause is myself. I think that there is an inherent problem with #8 that Ford was probably able to compensate for. Since most tuners tune by AFR and not plugs, they don't see any variance from cyl to cyl.
hmm. good idea. though from what i remember you have to shut the car off immediately after the run and tow it back to the pits to get an accurate reading.
i mentioned it in the TSB thread and ill say it again here...i wonder if its a cooling issue, like the 03/04 cobras had. if so, there was a cooling mod that could be done (prior to Ford revising the heads) so maybe that can be adapted here.

How old is your tune? If it is a "reputable tuner" then IF they manipulated the knock sensors, you should have gotten a revised tune. The "reputable" tuners(I believe) made amends the tunes that were defunct. ( I thought)
well i just added the X-pipe a few weeks ago and needed a revised tune for that. my assumption is that any "updates" wouldve been included in that new tune, however i realize thats not always the case. that being said, my original JLT/CAI tune wasnt too long ago. April maybe?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
well i just added the X-pipe a few weeks ago and needed a revised tune for that. my assumption is that any "updates" wouldve been included in that new tune, however i realize thats not always the case. that being said, my original JLT/CAI tune wasnt too long ago. April maybe?

I would venture to say you're golden then. A recent tune for the addition of the X should have caused the tuner to look at the tune and make all the necessary adjustments.

Of course this is mere speculation, but that's all any of us are going to be able to do.

Don't let fear hold you back or you might as well stay home because it's gonna affect your results.

Chill

business-man-yoga-pose1.jpg

:beer:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I would venture to say you're golden then. A recent tune for the addition of the X should have caused the tuner to look at the tune and make all the necessary adjustments.

Of course this is mere speculation, but that's all any of us are going to be able to do.

Don't let fear hold you back or you might as well stay home because it's gonna affect your results.

Chill

business-man-yoga-pose1.jpg

:beer:
:beer: :thumb:

chillin. like a villain. :evillaugh:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Get a Lund tune and be done with it. I feel more at ease running his tune than at any other time owning my 5.0. He took the time to talk to me about the whole #8 thing and many other aspects of tuning the new 5.0. I feel as though he truly has a handle on these cars. This is just my opinion and others might disagree.

ubeenbit

forum member
Reaction score
datalog the knock sensor, afr, and total timing and make the decision if it is safe.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back