Quick question on vibration (stock drive shaft)

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Well I think ever since I owned my car 7,500 miles on the clock I've always had a pretty good vibration over 80mph. Also when braking the steering wheel shakes back and fourth but I think thats from the rotors being warped from past owner.

So here is the deal I have 4.30 gear and 275/50/17 M&H drag radials. 5spd car no suspension mods. Also long tubes with off road h pipe stock mufflers. More mods to list but this is the only I could see would come into play.

Took the car to the track 15 psi in tires and launched around 3k. Bogged. On the street i was getting good grip and felt pretty good. So next time around I bump it to 5k and the car squats HARD down in the rear and BOOM I hear a loud pop and dragging. So I figure there goes the drive shaft since I'm still coasting. Well turns out it was my over axle pipe that goes into my passenger side h pipe clamp. Just hanging on the ground. So no big deal I button it up and call it a night.

Well I've been fight with exhaust rattle and found out its my over axle pipes hitting the stock drive shaft little black loop. Driver side is fine just passenger side taps it. Then I feel above the bar right where the 2 piece drive shaft is and it feels like a dent and some rust on top or scratches. When a passenger is in the car this noise gets worse.

What do you guys think I should try first?

A. change to stock tires (maybe the balance is off? also would this in anyway change the pinion angle?)

B. Change the drive shaft

C. check pinion angle

D. go to umi lca and traction kit

E. over axle pipe is bent get a new one

F. take the black brace off that it's tapping

G. CHE tq limiters

Just want some other views before digging in. Anyone have vibration with stock drive shaft? It's pretty bad vibration at 90-100. shakes the passenger seat head rest pretty good.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or the floor board or the seat? Answer that, and it will tell you what the most likely culprit is.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or the floor board or the seat? Answer that, and it will tell you what the most likely culprit is.
Above 80mph it feels like its in the rear or mid rear area of car. Braking is only steering wheel.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
it sounds like you need new rotors, a complete wheel balance, and re-install the exhaust pipe correctly so it doesn't touch anything.

Also, I would get a new AL 1 pc DS. I have 5 factor DS' trying to fix az vibration problem at 80 mph. The dealler just could not get it right. With all the AL ds' I have had on my CS and on my GT, I have never had a DS vib problem.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
it sounds like you need new rotors, a complete wheel balance, and re-install the exhaust pipe correctly so it doesn't touch anything.

Also, I would get a new AL 1 pc DS. I have 5 factor DS' trying to fix az vibration problem at 80 mph. The dealler just could not get it right. With all the AL ds' I have had on my CS and on my GT, I have never had a DS vib problem.
Ive tried to re-install the pipe many times but I can't do anything with that bar in the way. The bar I think is bent on that side. I wonder if the drive shaft bound up and bent that bar knocking my tube out when i launched at the track?

I know rotors are a must.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
it is kind of a 1-off to say the least...
Good point. I wasn't sure if I was one off or not. I guess maybe u joints could be bad. My fox body would vibrate bad if u joints were shot from hard launching would kill them.

Some things to go over. I will post back on things that I have done. I need tires bad. These M&H dr's are getting scary in the rain now. I need a tall tire and won't be buying new wheels again for a bit, so 275/50/17's with some tread will come and a complete rebalance on all wheels. Also I need to check driveshaft play and also just take mid pipes off and re do. I read in other threads about maybe driveshaft mount to be checked that holds the 2 pc area. Hope I can get some of it solved.

Thanks guys.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Moved back to stock tired from the M&H. Went over 100mph no issues. Looks like wheel balance issue. Major hop just from tire balance off. cheaper fix than DS.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
That's good to hear. Get a road force balance at the tire pressure you plan to operate at. It is worth the money for high-speed apps.

mydangstang

forum member
Reaction score
Guess I'm on my own with this one.

Not a pro or even an ASE but maybe when you launched hard at track you blew out or messed up your CV-joint in your oem driveshaft which would allow it to flex into the pipe ?????

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
just to throw it out there...but the hangers for the exhaust that are under the trans...those mounts were removed by ford because they caused vibration issues...my '09 doesnt have them....that could be worth looking into I suppose

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
No more vibration guys. Thanks though. Hmm road force balance. Who does this?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Almost any new car dealer. Good tire shops. Limited speed shops. The idea is to mimic the weight of the car so the tire has the same shap it would be while driving.

I had it done twice. The first time it was $150 for all 4. The second time it was $170 with all 4 + nitro fill. Had the car up to 170+ on multiple occasions and there was no vibration.

Sharp07GT

Reaction score
Anyone ever had this issue?

I did, I went nuts trying to figure it out. Finally I broke down and bought a one piece shaft and adjusted pinion angle and problem solved. Ford should have their ass kicked for the two piece chunk of lead they call a driveshaft!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back