Rear End Movement on Abrubt Driveline Loads

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
The axle is off right now. The c clips are out and don't look bent or deformed. Gonna take the diff out now to take a look at the clutch packs.

The only thing between the c clips and the axle hub that could allow this play that I can see are the clutch packs.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Well now that you have it apart you can't just throw the stock setup back in. You must upgrade! I think an Eaton Truetrac would fit nicely in there (and eliminate the need for clutches). :thumb2:

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Just order the new bushings. Depending how many miles are on them they just might send them your way for free. A oblong hole is not going to hold circle bolt in place.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I do and I had that thought as well. They were/are tight and there are no witness marks anywhere that would indicate they were moving.

Just wondering because mine had the exact same problem. The bolts were fairly tight, but the problem went away completely when i had them welded on.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Just order the new bushings. Depending how many miles are on them they just might send them your way for free. A oblong hole is not going to hold circle bolt in place.

^^^This is what I was eluding to earlier. Bushings with out of round are worn, and a lot of times they are fatigued, yet look OK. First and cheapest thing to do is replace those... But then the rear end is out and apart. I call say he should go all out now :boobies::roflmao:

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Just wondering because mine had the exact same problem. The bolts were fairly tight, but the problem went away completely when i had them welded on.

Im gonna be royally pissed at myself if that ends up being my problem lol. Not really sure what I want to do as far as my rear end goes. Anyone know the specified thickness of the clutch plates?

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So you would agree that deformation I'm seeing shouldn't be an issue? Can you tell from the pics if the UCA bushing is shot or not? Thinking i'll end up taking it off anyway to check it out but i'm not gonna hold my breath considering the main job of the UCA is pinion angle right?

In order for my rear end to shift left on quick accel my passenger rear would have to move forward and/or my driver rear would have to move backward. It almost felt like my body was moving in parallel with my axle so maybe that contradicts the previous statement. Any help to un-fluster my situation is greatly appreciated.

I don't see any smoking gun there... but the axle play does sound excessive.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
Insides of the lca bushings look oblong to me. That I know can cause issues. My bushings on my che arms looked like that before they did split. As far as the axle shaft movement id like to see a pic with measurmemts if their were that much play your brakes and abs would be freaking out.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Did you measure between the centre caps of the rims and the wheel well? Im thinking maybe a bent/twisted axle tube. Its happened and many people have gotten their axle tubes welded. May also be the reason of the noise you hear, bad pressure on the bearings.

Since the axles out should be easy to check now.

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Did you measure between the centre caps of the rims and the wheel well? Im thinking maybe a bent/twisted axle tube. Its happened and many people have gotten their axle tubes welded. May also be the reason of the noise you hear, bad pressure on the bearings.

Since the axles out should be easy to check now.

That could be a good point. I looked at where the bearings ride on the axle shafts but didn't know what abnormal wear would look like. I'll try to snap some pics tonight.

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Bushings are on their way. Axle end play may not be an issue since I just realized that those measurements were with the center pin in the differential removed. :crazy:

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Well I have an update for anyone that was interested. Just got the car back down on the ground last night. I feel like an idiot but I fixed the rear end shimmy, it was the relocation brackets (good call abdulla). I re-torqued everything upon reassembly and the middle bolt in the BMR relocation bracket wasn't quite to 129 ft-lbs. After that the shimmy was gone. So I did a whole lot of work for basically nothing.

My second issue I was/am trying to change is a fairly loud "howling" noise that I experience around 25mph+ that just gets louder with speed. The location of the noise is hard to pinpoint as it feels like it's all around me. Noise doesn't change when going into neutral at speed. First thought was tires, but I swapped my stockers on awhile ago with no result. I replace every bearing in the axle housing so that's checked off. I don't notice any change in noise when steering or any abnormalities in steering feel so i don't think it's a front wheel bearing.

Anyone got any ideas? I've started looking into the possibility of a driveshaft joint deteriorating but idk if that's a likely possibility or not...

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back