Removing axle bushing

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
I ran into a big issue trying to remove the oem bushing using the drill and hole saw process to remove all the inside of the bushing to replace it with the BMR bushing insert. Basically speaking, i broke part of the sleeve. So i have ordered new one and i will drill out once again but will be easier since it won't be in the car. Which leads me to this question: how should i remove the existing bushing sleeve? And once i have removed it, how should i press the new one in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
After research, it seems like i could get a punch and hammer and punch the side of the sleeve and the other side kinda like this (\/) to decrease the diameter of the sleeve and hopefully hammer it out. Moreover, it seems once i have gotten the new sleeve hollowed, i could simply put it in the freezer for a day and hopefully it should have shrunk enough to it hammer in place with a rubber mallet....has anybody done this?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
wow, my upper bushing must of been really gone. Using the hole saw method, it came out super easy. Cleaned the inside of it with a wire wheel and was ready to put the poly bushings in.

On the poly bushing (prothane I believe), the bushing it two pieces, with a metal sleeve. Insert the two bushing halves, grease up the metal bushing with supplied lube and it just slides in. Might take a little force, but not much. Maybe just tapping it with a hammer slightly.

Super easy job.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I started with a new axle housing so I did not have to take an existing bushing sleeve out, but here is how I put a new one in.

The new bushing casing was prepared for installation in the housing by drilling out the OEM rubber bushing insert.

OEM Bushing BR3Z-5A638-B

I used a drill, 1-3/8” and 1-1/2” hole saws to remove the bushing and then cleaned up the remaining rubber remnants with a small wire wheel. The BMR Dual Durometer Differential Bushing (# EN001) will be installed after the bushing casing is installed in the differential.

Bushing prepared for installation.

I used a threaded rod and large washers to pull the busing cone in until level with the side.

Then I added a old bearing cone to pull it through the rest of the way.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back