SCT X4 or nGauge

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Alright...now I am contemplating an new tuning device (since freakin' NO ONE other than Bama supports Diablosport InTune).

I'm looking at SCT X4 and an nGauge.
• I am primarily on a Macintosh so the nGauge is appealing since that doesn't really matter. Also, from what I have read, the nGauge is very simple to use and it is VERY easy to data log the car using it.
• My wife has a PC she uses for work that will allow me to use the SCT. The SCT X4 is used EVERYWHERE and people (for the most part) seem to like them.

Anyone have any insight into either device? Pros, cons, personal experience with both?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Since you wont be actually tuning it yourself, find the tuner first, and see which device they prefer/recommend.
No experience with Ngauge.
I do like SCT. I bricked my pcm once by disconnecting the x4 in a middle of a flash. I was able to recover it without assistance from SCT.

Laga

Reaction score
You can install Bootstrap for free onto your MAC. This turns your MAC into a Windows operating system. Even I was able to do it.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
You can install Bootstrap for free onto your MAC. This turns your MAC into a Windows operating system. Even I was able to do it.

LOL! Boot CAMP!

I searched for Bootstrap and found some nice web design software.

But Boot Camp is a good solution. I can use my wife's PC and if I ever want to just run it off of my Mac, I just have to spring some $$ for the download of Windows 10.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
OK, then...to settle on a tuner.

Steeda: offers "tunes for life" and I can get the SCT X4 with TFL for $474. I already have a Steeda CAI. ($474 total)

Lund: heard great things. $579 for same SCT with Lund custom tune...+$100 for intake swap tune. ($679 total)

AED: also heard good things. Similar pricing to Lund package ($650)

Any others to consider?

Laga

Reaction score
LOL! Boot CAMP!

I searched for Bootstrap and found some nice web design software.

But Boot Camp is a good solution. I can use my wife's PC and if I ever want to just run it off of my Mac, I just have to spring some $$ for the download of Windows 10.
I knew it had a boot in there somewhere.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I have Lund and can highly recommend his tunes. They are a great company and good people. The nGauge is great. I have it in my air vent and watch 6 things at a time while I am cruising around. You can change it to any 6 from the OBD11 that you want to see. Or, you can set it to be a gauge for only 1 like a tack or AFR. I thought about getting a SCT4 and a tune from Lito because he does a fantastic gob also. For me it would be either of those 2. Lund or Lito no matter the cost. You get what you pay for. Good luck.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

How does it work if I purchase a tuning device and tune from a vendor? (ie. considering purchasing Lund nTune and Lund tune) and have a few vendors to choose from. And, other than pricing for this, does ordering from one vendor have any advantages over another?

Would I go through the vendor to request a new tune or do I go directly to Lund for that? Just trying to gauge my level off support for after the sale.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I bought mine straight from Lund and I go back to him when I need something. It is locked to his tunes and can't be used by someone else to tune my car. Not sure how using a vendor would work but I think it is the same.

Here is a quick video of the 6 different things that I can watch while driving. You can change it to whatever you want.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, 06JET! Just about ready to pull the trigger on Lund Tuning and an nGauge.

Just need to get some clarity about charges if I swap my intake at a later date. I know there is a $100 charge for a revised tune for the new intake, but I am unclear as to whether I have to make that swap within the first 90 days of receiving the tune or if I decide to do the swap in 6 months, is it still just a $100 charge or is it considered an entirely new tune (outside the window for revisions)? I guess it worst case scenario is that it would be a $50 charge for 3 new months of revisions plus the $100 charge for new intake.

I'll get some clarification/understanding from Lund.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
They are a good group of folks but they are in it to make money. Ask a lot of questions and get a good feel for what you are buying.

Christenn23

Reaction score
Sct is more widely supported, almost every tuner shop around me uses them. I have an sct x4, I like it because you can configure it to show a lot of readings on a single page, but it's big and clunky and doesn't flow well with the look of the interior, my brother uses an ngauge(Lund) on his Mustang and it looks great mounted to his window or air vent. The only downside to the ngauge is that it's not supported very well in my area, but if you're remote tuning then it's not really an issue I suppose.

Gun to my head I'm taking the sct, but looks wise the ngauge is the better option.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sct is more widely supported, almost every tuner shop around me uses them. I have an sct x4, I like it because you can configure it to show a lot of readings on a single page, but it's big and clunky and doesn't flow well with the look of the interior, my brother uses an ngauge(Lund) on his Mustang and it looks great mounted to his window or air vent. The only downside to the ngauge is that it's not supported very well in my area, but if you're remote tuning then it's not really an issue I suppose.

Gun to my head I'm taking the sct, but looks wise the ngauge is the better option.

nGauge is HP Tuners, which is pretty widely supported if you don't get the one locked down by Lund.

If you just want a tuning device, go with whatever brand is supported by your local tuner. If you want something to permanently mount in the interior, go with the nGauge.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the SCT X4 is locked to Lund only if I go with a Lund tune (ie. order the SCT with Lund tune) the way the nGauge is?

I think the nGauge is pretty sweet and do like the idea of having an extra digital gauge in the cockpit. My only concern is it being locked to Lund (got bit in the ass already being locked in with Diablosport InTune and American Muscle). But....SCT is supported by just about EVERYBODY, including any local shops I might want to bring the car to for dyno tuning. Not that I ever really would, but...

I don't have major mod plans for the car. Maybe in intake swap to complement my CAI, but that is about it.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can get an nGauge that isn't locked to Lund. It's HP Tuners, which is just as widely supported as SCT.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
You can get an nGauge that isn't locked to Lund. It's HP Tuners, which is just as widely supported as SCT.
I know. I just planned on going with a Lund tune regardless of which device I chose.

Seems like I just have to make my damn mind up and pick one. Like I said, I have no plans to have major mods done to the car where I custom dyno tune would be advantageous. A quality tune from a reputable online tuner (complete with any data logging fine tuning) will be sufficient for me.

List of pros and cons considering a Lund tune will be on either device:

nGauge PROS:
– fancy gauge that sits in the car
– speed and ease of downloads and data logs
– does not care that I am on a Macintosh

nGauge CONS:
– locked to Lund Racing (limits online tuning to Lund only)
– dead in the water if Lund closes, does not support certain mods, etc. (basically the fear that I would be dropping $$$ and be stuck in a similar situation that I am currently in with American Muscle and Diablosport).

SCT X4 PROS:
– not locked to any certain tuner (able to load different tunes from different tuners if I choose)
– widely accepted (just about everywhere)

SCT X4 CONS:
– would have to run off my wife's PC (or I would have to buy Windows to run on my Mac)
– does not have fancy gauge to mount in the car

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Have you talked to Lund and asked if he would tune your car with a SCT or a nGuage that you didn't get from him? If you buy it from him he locks it but what if you already have it, will he use it?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back