Sensitive Throttle

Fredrik

Reaction score
My 2005 GT automatic have a very sensitive throttle. With stock tune it is actually difficult to drive in wintertime, only when "start" to drive, almost impossible to start without "jump" or wheel spinn. I have tried to tune it with standard sct tune and then it is not possible to start without a "kangaroo" jump :) press the throttle pedal 1mm and it takes of. I have checked the pedal and it seems ok, can I adjust the throttle body? Or do anyone have a clue? It have for shore not the more common problem with "lag" on the throttle.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could be the pedal. Maybe try swapping pedals with someone to see. Its a quick swap few bolts and plug.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
are you the original owner?
Is it possible that the car was tuned previously?
What mods does the car have?

Typically throttle response is not something that you can program by yourself.

Fredrik

Reaction score
I am not the first owner, but I am 99% shore that the car is stock
Pr now the only mod is cold air put on by me

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Was the issue present before the cold air was installed on the car?
Which cold air kit did you install and did you retune the car for the cold air?

Fredrik

Reaction score
Issue is the same with stock air and cold air

07 Boss

Reaction score
You can get your tuner to adjust it. Basically it takes the throttle position and assigns it a throttle blade position. A tuner can ramp it up or down to your liking.

Fredrik

Reaction score
But then i need A custom tune? Or is it possible to do on the preloaded tunes on sct x4 tuner by my selves? If so how

You can get your tuner to adjust it. Basically it takes the throttle position and assigns it a throttle blade position. A tuner can ramp it up or down to your liking.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
if it is an 05 or 06, it is possible the previous owner did the gas pedal box mod. this was popular in the day and took out the "lag" when accelerating.

like mentioned, the best way to correct this would be in the tune itself, that way, you do not have to go back into the hardware to change the sensitivity.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Are you letting the car warm up before you drive it? Remember that the density of the air changes depending on temperature so it's especially important in the winter to at least let the idle RPMs drop to normal (usually around 750) before taking off. Otherwise you may be fighting some bucking until it gets a little warmer.

A tune will likely fix your issue. There are several online/email tune vendors here that can help you. If you don't intend to mod the car a lot, a Bama tune from American Muscle will probably do you just fine and you will have free tunes for life should you decide to add another bolt on.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
Quick off idle response

I bought an 06 auto in 2011 which had a CA and I too felt the throttle was a bit sensitive!! I bought a tuner from American Muscle/Bama and have had several tunes made for different 'upgrades'. One tune was waaay sensitive just like your's now, I asked them to slow down the off idle response which helped. I then got a used BBK 62mm throttle body from a friend and got a tune for it and finally it is doable, I still have to have a light foot to get going. Most guys say junk my style/brand tb but I really like it and getting to 120 mph is easy and gas mileage is 26 mpg w/91 octane gas w/ethanol. I did have to richen the WOT by 4 numbers (& or ???) to eliminate a backfire tendency when kicking it down.

I bought a used pedal assy from junk yard for $65?? and car operates identical to the original pedal assy. Changing out is easy to do and still have original for backup!

Last edited:

Sinister06gt

Reaction score
My 06 was bad about bucking when taking off. Took throttle body off and cleaned it thoroughly and it seemed to fix it.

Back