Set of catalytic converters that work with F/I?

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Is there anybody that knows of a set of cats that won't eat themselves on these cars that are supercharged? I don't like my car as much without them... the exhaust is way too raspy and it has a sort of rice-y sounding buzz to it now when it is not warmed up all the way. My AFRs are aging crazy so I know I need a tune... but I just generally want to like driving my car again. Any chance of running cats again, without having to worry about them failing or making me lose a motor like a few others have done?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using tapatalk.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Can anybody confirm? I don't really know different types of cats were available.... any ideas?

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
When you choose cats, you have to consider a few different things. Metallic vs Ceramic, cell #'s, flow rate, etc. Metallic cats will give you a slightly "tinny" sound, but they're much more durable and will hold up to the flow of a F/I setup better than ceramic. There have been quite a few people that have blown their motors due to ceramic cats shittin' themselves with a blower, but that's not to say that a metallic won't do the same.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Is there a way to get stock cats on an aftermarket crossover?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
With just FI? o.0 I don't trust cats at all but they say and this is just what "they" say that they hold up better than some aftermarket cats, mainly kooks failure of a cat. lol

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
I don't like my car as much without them... the exhaust is way too raspy and it has a sort of rice-y sounding buzz to it now when it is not warmed up all the way.

I had the same issue when I went from Kooks cats to an O/R X pipe with Flowmasters. Way to loud, raspy and obnoxious. I replaced the flowmasters with OEM Bullit muffers and it sounds way better. Really toned down the rasp. I had a set or resonators to weld in, but didn't want to add more weight when I could just replace the mufflers.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Wonder what is so special about these cars that they can't run cats with FI. Lotsa other cars out there are able to get away with it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Wonder what is so special about these cars that they can't run cats with FI. Lotsa other cars out there are able to get away with it.

I ran stock cats for 2 and half years with a Whipple. No problems and the cats are still good.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Mine are fine as well so far and I've never read about a stock cat failure on here. But I guess bbr has seen them go. Maybe a lean tune? Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a lean condition but a rich one that burns up the cats. With the average 11.5 area that FI tunes run the cats get so hot they self destruct. As posted the metal cats hold up a little better than the ceramic ones but you are better off without cats if you are FI.

Earl

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back