Show me some locations where you've mounted switches!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just like the title says. I want to mount 2 or 3 switches for some electrical stuff; where are some good locations on the '10-14 models that look good, aren't in the way, and don't require disassembling the entire cabin?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how often will you need access to them?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Indeed that's the heart of the question

I'd probably only need to hit them occasionally; I'm setting up switches for a dash cam, lights, and potentially an audio amp.

I had a guy do it for me so I'm not sure, but I believe it's only a couple bolts to take out.

I might pull that panel this weekend and see what's behind it.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think that lower panel is is any different on the 05-10 cars. I just had mine off, there's a thin metal plate behind it up to the steering column.

It's kind of a pain to pull actually. The front cover over the cluster just pulls out, two 7mm bolts on the bottom, trim that runs up the face of the radio edge should be pulled or you will fight it, maybe breaking that tab. The only way I could see pulling the trim along side your right leg was to pull the center console off. I only popped the front of the console up but it wasn't enough room, it really should have been slide back slightly. Think of that lower panel being the first piece on and then everything inter locking over it.

Sorry a bit wordy but not sure how else to explain.

There is a tab about where my finger is that prevents it from playing nice. I thought it would be simple to pull and gain access while wiring gauges and stuff up. Was not the case.
3f007a35ccc0e2adada747366ae39b0e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think that lower panel is is any different on the 05-10 cars. I just had mine off, there's a thin metal plate behind it up to the steering column.

It's kind of a pain to pull actually. The front cover over the cluster just pulls out, two 7mm bolts on the bottom, trim that runs up the face of the radio edge should be pulled or you will fight it, maybe breaking that tab. The only way I could see pulling the trim along side your right leg was to pull the center console off. I only popped the front of the console up but it wasn't enough room, it really should have been slide back slightly. Think of that lower panel being the first piece on and then everything inter locking over it.

Sorry a bit wordy but not sure how else to explain.

There is a tab about where my finger is that prevents it from playing nice. I thought it would be simple to pull and gain access while wiring gauges and stuff up. Was not the case.
3f007a35ccc0e2adada747366ae39b0e.jpg

Looks like the '10-14 have a different part number for that trim panel; I'm going to go peruse my FSM and see how difficult it would be to remove.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You sir are correct! I thought the 11 dash was a multi piece but a Google search shows no. Regardless that lower section only holds the obdll port and some wire loom. I guess being a taller guy, I would worry about my knee hitting the switchs.
ad5b2c01bfc3477c514d82c82dc0011b.jpg
1afd551bf81119d1920b61d0b90e1747.jpg
3aa84f6760fe6fee792b68d6a1221517.jpg

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You sir are correct! I thought the 11 dash was a multi piece but a Google search shows no. Regardless that lower only holds obdll port some wire loom. I guess be taller guy I would worry about my knee hitting the switchs.

I was hoping that was a separate panel I could remove and install switches into. I don't think I feel like pulling the entire damn dash.

I wonder if I can get to the back of that panel and do all the work without pulling it all out.

JJ427R

Reaction score
I never realized that dash was all one piece, though for sure that knee panel was a separate piece. In my 2018 it is a separate piece and has an airbag in it, had to be removed when I had my hand controls installed. My 2010 they were able to cut a slot in the panel for the hand control linkage, 2018 panel had to be removed.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't see why not. It's very tight in there with the steering column, wiring and so on. I gotta believe that lower panel in held with clips.

I just posted the picks for a visual. I would think that portion just unsnaps, which allows access to all below the column. Positive is that panel isn't behind the radio like mine lol.

Placement btw, why not to the right of the head light switch in what looks to be a flat spot. Buttons style like JJ427R has. I know the turn signal would be above it but that won't interfere with them. If doing three, 2 on bottom (most used) and 1 center above.

Edit: that lower panel pulls of with two screws. There is also a small opening below the head light switch.
98dd5e2e92ae8da86f6200698f8a5ab1.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back