Skwerl's first hot rod

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Got my 8 rib pulley kit today. Surprisingly every single pulley is marked as a Ford part, BGG didn't make any of these. But regardless, he did put it all together and included very detailed instructions plus the spacers needed to line everything up.

Oh awesome, glad it all came! Have fun with the install!

stang67

forum member
Reaction score
My car had a gt500 hood with a gt front the car was black didn't notice it much

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Finally heading to the track tomorrow to see what she will do with the current setup. Justin (VMP) called earlier and said he was going to be at the track tomorrow as well testing out his 2013 GT500. He said he could bring along a couple extra pulleys so we can up the boost and see what happens. I'm not worried about his tuning but I think I'm rapidly approaching the limits of my driving comfort level. Had the car get a little loose on me at the top end last time out and shit gets spooky real quick at 130+. I need a little more seat time at this speed before bumping it up too much further.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Finally heading to the track tomorrow to see what she will do with the current setup. Justin (VMP) called earlier and said he was going to be at the track tomorrow as well testing out his 2013 GT500. He said he could bring along a couple extra pulleys so we can up the boost and see what happens. I'm not worried about his tuning but I think I'm rapidly approaching the limits of my driving comfort level. Had the car get a little loose on me at the top end last time out and shit gets spooky real quick at 130+. I need a little more seat time at this speed before bumping it up too much further.

Heck yeah man! Have fun.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome!!
I have never liked the drag tire setup at the top end; that floating Cadillac feeling in a high powered car is unnerving.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
That is one of the main reasons I run an 1/8th. I hit a bad spot in a 1/4 one time in my uncle's Fox and ran it down the guard rail doing 140+. Not fun!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I had a crappy day, Ray. It was hot (80+ degrees, 1600+ DA), my times sucked and I was not up to par mentally. I only got about 3 hours sleep the night before and was off my game. On my third pass I was at the line watching the tree and put the car into second before taking off. As soon as I realized what I had done I just drove off the track and straight up on my trailer. I came home and took a 3 hour nap.

We're pretty cold right now but it's warming up again by the next track day on Friday night. Saturday is forecast to be 84.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Been thinking and talking with Justin about the idle issue, cams and long tubes. Piecing together bits and pieces I'm picking up along the way, my situation is thus-
I hate the idle/ low speed issues even though Justin has tuned most of it out. It's ok with the AC off but turn it on and the car won't idle. Parking lots are brutal to navigate. I'm also seeing incredibly high IAT readings even though it's winter. Come summer I won't be able to drive it.

Hot Rod cams have a shorter, more abrupt exhaust duration which seems to me would reduce flow. Justin said exhaust gasses were backing up into the intake which would explain the brutal IAT readings and idle issues.

In order to get the exhaust moving, I'm picking up some JBA headers. If that isn't enough then I'll replace the Hot Rod cams with something else. I'm growing to hate the cams in combination with my high flow heads. Just too much like a race car and not street friendly enough for me. I'm sure when paired with stock heads they would be cool. If the headers don't help then the cams will be gone.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check out swaintech skwerl. The hotside of my turbo is getting coated.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I agree Skwerl!! Get rid of those cams!!

Go with what I have if you want cams; they are a mild cam. Idle is different than stock, but not extreme like hot rods or thumpers. Nice smooth idle, but something is not stock... lol

I love my cams!!

Just wish my motor was not hungry for oil... sigh :(

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'd try some 127450 or 550 cams. You upgraded your springs right? A friend of mine gained over 50rwhp going from 350 to 550.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
How was it when driving around parking lots? Can he maintain 10mph without getting all herky jerky? I have to either accelerate, decelerate or push in the clutch, no exceptions and it sucks.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
How was it when driving around parking lots? Can he maintain 10mph without getting all herky jerky? I have to either accelerate, decelerate or push in the clutch, no exceptions and it sucks.

He now has a nascar motor in it, lol. Have you asked Justin what has worked best for his customers in the past?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back