Slotted/Dimpled Rotors - Clicking Noise

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Recently installed TPS slotted/dimpled rotors on all 4 corners with Hawk HPS pads. Now whenever I'm driving I hear a "clicking" noise similar to when you were a kid and put a playing card against the spokes of the wheel. It's gets louder as you increase in speed.

I know they can make a noise whenever braking due to the air in the dimples and pads going over them, but is this normal while just driving? I cannot hear the noise inside the car. However, I had a friend tell me something sounded wrong with my car so I had him drive it with me standing on the road and it's really loud. The noise gets louder when you get on the brakes.

I've already Google searched and some people say it's inherent with dimpled rotors (note I said dimpled, not cross drilled). Some websites that sell them have a disclaimer of the noise while braking but nothing about it making it while driving.

- The pads aren't hung up on anything.
- The pad retaining clips are set fine on the caliper (not talking about the anti-rattle clips).
- I used brake grease on the sliding pins and backs of the pads.
- No squealing. And no vibration in the brake pedal.
- I bedded them in correctly as well.

I hope I've been clear enough in what I'm asking.

Any input?

EDIT: And let me reiterate, the noise is while driving WITHOUT the brakes applied. That's the noise I am questioning.

Last edited:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Recently installed TPS slotted/dimpled rotors on all 4 corners with Hawk HPS pads. Now whenever I'm driving I hear a "clicking" noise similar to when you were a kid and put a playing card against the spokes of the wheel. It's gets louder as you increase in speed.

I know they can make a noise whenever braking due to the air in the dimples and pads going over them, but is this normal while just driving? I cannot hear the noise inside the car. However, I had a friend tell me something sounded wrong with my car so I had him drive it with me standing on the road and it's really loud. The noise gets louder when you get on the brakes.

I've already Google searched and some people say it's inherent with dimpled rotors (note I said dimpled, not cross drilled). Some websites that sell them have a disclaimer of the noise while braking but nothing about it making it while driving.

The pads aren't hung up on anything. The pad retaining clips are set fine. I used brake grease on the sliding pins and backs of the pads. No squealing. And no vibration in the brake pedal. I bedded them in correctly as well.

I hope I've been clear enough in what I'm asking. Any input?

It's normal. I had the exact same n pose when I installed the same rotors on my 07

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

KnightRider5.0

Reaction score
Check your brake clips man that was my problem when I went to replace my rotors whoever did the brakes before installed the clips wrong.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's normal. I had the exact same n pose when I installed the same rotors on my 07

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Even when driving/not on the brakes? Damn. I thought I got over that "I want to sound like a dirtbike" phase in elementary school. :dead2:

Check your brake clips man that was my problem when I went to replace my rotors whoever did the brakes before installed the clips wrong.

Slotted/dimpled rotors? But like I said, everything looks fine mechanically.

AK83

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think that's normal, I have the same rotors and pads and the only clicking I hear is the loud fuel injectors. Did you do the bed-in process?

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's normal, I have the same rotors and pads and the only clicking I hear is the loud fuel injectors. Did you do the bed-in process?

As stated in my original post, yes. 65 to 30 with hard braking without ABS coming on 6 times and then a few minute drive to let them cool down.

AK83

forum member
Reaction score
I see it in your last sentence, my fault, that's the same bed-in process I did. I ask because my friend with the same rotors and pads got them the same time I did but he didn't know about the bed-in and drove it normally right off that bat and he has a annoying clicking/shim sound when driving normally without applying brakes just like you stated.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I see it in your last sentence, my fault, that's the same bed-in process I did. I ask because my friend with the same rotors and pads got them the same time I did but he didn't know about the bed-in and drove it normally right off that bat and he has a annoying clicking/shim sound when driving normally without applying brakes just like you stated.

All good, man. Just don't want people to miss out on what I've already said so I don't waste anyones time.

Is there a way to rebed rotors/pads? I'm willing to try anything.

Just a stupid question. Are the rotors on the correct sides?

No such thing as a stupid question. Haha. Yes, I believe so. The vanes inside the rotors are straight finned but I installed both front and rear in this direction (picture of my rotors).

IMG_20130427_133404_097.jpg

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just going out on a limb here, and probably not the reasoning since it is more than one person, but sometimes rocks get stuck in the treads of my tires and make a clicking noise that sounds like it is the brakes but its just really the rock hitting the road every time the tire revolves.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hmmmmm, we dont seem to be the only ones having these issues.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78723&highlight=tps+rotors

Well shit. Just looked at the maintenance log I keep and I installed them 3/30/13 at 60,500 miles. Car is now at 62,250...

I'm just going out on a limb here, and probably not the reasoning since it is more than one person, but sometimes rocks get stuck in the treads of my tires and make a clicking noise that sounds like it is the brakes but its just really the rock hitting the road every time the tire revolves.

Noise didn't start until after the installation of the rotors but I'll take a look.

Last edited:

05Torch

Reaction score
Man I'm thinking about getting these and this worries me...

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
Apparently this and the air sound are "normal". If I had known that I would have passed on dimpled and gone straight slotted instead.....smh

"Can you see me, am I clear to you, picture me rollin"

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some bullshit. I could understand it while braking but not while just driving. Should have just bought this if that's the sound I wanted.

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
No such thing as a stupid question. Haha. Yes, I believe so. The vanes inside the rotors are straight finned but I installed both front and rear in this direction (picture of my rotors).

IMG_20130427_133404_097.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I have PowerSlot brand rotors, no dimples, they had a L and R on them.
I just looked at them and the slots are reversed to yours, so they would
drag any dust out as they rotated instead of forcing inward.
I run Hawk Ceramic pad with alittle growl when braking, none while driving.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have PowerSlot brand rotors, no dimples, they had a L and R on them.
I just looked at them and the slots are reversed to yours, so they would
drag any dust out as they rotated instead of forcing inward.
I run Hawk Ceramic pad with alittle growl when braking, none while driving.

Everything I've read and all of the pictures I've looked at show this is the way they should go. However, on these rotors in particular, direction doesn't matter as much since they are straight vanes. The direction of the vanes are when the main concern on direction comes into play.

how_to1.jpg

how_to2.jpg

http://zeckhausen.com/how_to_properly_install_rotors.htm

As with the plain rotors discussed above, the internal vanes should lean toward the back of the car. The direction of the slots on the outside of the rotor do not dictate whether the rotor is a left or a right. For rotors with slots machined in the same direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the back of the car. For rotors with slots machined in the opposite direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the front of the car. Bottom line - don't use the slots to decide which side to mount the rotor. Pay attention to the internal cooling vanes.

For slotted rotors with straight internal cooling vanes, the direction of the slots is totally up to you and what you think looks best. In this case, there is no wrong answer.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back