smell gas after lowering tank

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
I did a search on the forum and didn't find any threads on this subject... I installed some poly bushing on the rear upper control arm on my 08 GT. Part of the process was to lower the gas tank about a 1/2" in order to get the control arm support to drop so I could remove the control arm.

I have everything put back together, but when I added gas the to car today, I had a strong odor of gas inside the car. What the heck did I do? When I'm just driving around there is no gas smell and I can't see where anything is leaking.

I'd appreciate any pearls of wisdom you could toss my way and let me know what to look for.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I maybe way off but maybe the vent tube is off?

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
I maybe way off but maybe the vent tube is off?

I'll have to look tomorrow under the car when I get off of work, but you'd think there would be enough slack for a 1/2" drop. Good call....

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
Are the rubber caps back on over top of the fuel pump? (under the back seat)

Just got though installing some dynamat type insulation under the back seat to put the extra noise in check after the poly bushing install. I checked the rubber seals and those are in place. Plenty of slack in the wiring to allow for the drop.

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
resurrecting my old thread. As for my original issue, it just sorta went away and I didn't have any more issues. Odd... My new issue is persistent. When I fill up the car, I can smell gas on the drivers side rear of the car.

I've gone under the car and can see no leaks. Based on some forum recommendations, I've replaced the seal on the tank that holds the fuel pump and I've also tightened a lose band clamp on the filler tube. Nothing to date has remedied my issue. I'm to the point of using a smoke machine to see if I can find the issue, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for something to look for.

What I can really use right now is a diagram of how the tank is mounted on the car along with the hose/vent connection points. That gives me something to look at. Appreciate any help you can provide. Also to add, there's no codes to report and the car runs fine.

Last edited:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I had a weird leak that also left no residue, but I could smell. Spent weeks looking for the source and couldn't find it. It was suggested to me that I pick up a sniffer. Found out the technical name is a "combustible gas leak detector" on Amazon and grabbed one for $37 (UEI).

Working slowly, I found it in less than two hours. Turns out that there was a small nick in the big green O-Ring at the fuel pump housing. Haven't had a problem since.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
resurrecting my old thread. As for my original issue, it just sorta went away and I didn't have any more issues. Odd... My new issue is persistent. When I fill up the car, I can smell gas on the drivers side rear of the car.

I've gone under the car and can see no leaks. Based on some forum recommendations, I've replaced the seal on the tank that holds the fuel pump and I've also tightened a lose band clamp on the filler tube. Nothing to date has remedied my issue. I'm to the point of using a smoke machine to see if I can find the issue, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for something to look for.

What I can really use right now is a diagram of how the tank is mounted on the car along with the hose/vent connection points. That gives me something to look at. Appreciate any help you can provide. Also to add, there's no codes to report and the car runs fine.

When you fill up the car do you pull the nozzle out when it clicks? Or do you top it off like a lot of people do? By doing this it is not uncommon for some fuel to burp it's way up the tube and into the vent tube. When it does the excess goes into the Charcoal canister. The canister can only take so much liquid before you start to smell it externally.

Back