Spark plug Q...so pissed.

paydirt

Roll Racer
Reaction score
So I change out all of my brisk spark plugs with the autolite HTO's because my car was having a slight misfire, everything went really smooth and I start the car and it idles perfect, and I can tell that the miss is gone, I go for a drive and the car feels like I'm missing about 200hp up top haha, and it feels real shaky when I get on it...I put the brisk back in and the car runs fine but it still has a backfire...any ideas guys?? I did not gap the HTO's I just put them in the car because brenspeed told me they were "good to go"

Thanks,
Ryan

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
You need to check the gap on the plugs, if they left them at stock HT0 gap then they need to be closed up a good bit for a blown application.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
You need to check the gap on the plugs, if they left them at stock HT0 gap then they need to be closed up a good bit for a blown application.
+1... sounds like a possible case of spark blow out.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how much power r u puting? u need to regap the ht0s to whatever the brisk were gap to. why did u change the brisk plugs? they seem to be better than ht0 and a lot easier to regap

Steps

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting...Brenspeed told me the same thing and mine runs perfect without touching the plugs. Idles as good as it did stock, imho.

paydirt

Roll Racer
Reaction score
I'm at 512rwhp and 446rwtq on stock motor, I changed from the brisk because they went out so damn fast! so how do I gap these plugs? is there a tool I need to buy?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PMP sells a gap tool

slammed 06

forum member
Reaction score
I would gap them @.30* this is what I have been told by several people.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
I just changed my plugs to the HTO's no gapping. Check the coil packs to be sure you put them on good. Any wires crossed? Also be sure you didn't put in the spark plug cross-threaded. Worth pulling them out and putting them back in. What was really weird to me being an old 5.0 guy is how the coils grasp the top of the plug. The coil EASILY grasps the top of the plug and really involves no force. Try it out off the car and make sure they are going on the plug right.

I am not pro but if this was me I would do everything I posted to be sure.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I just changed my plugs to the HTO's no gapping.
I am not pro but if this was me I would do everything I posted to be sure.

no gapping is fine when you dont have boost, if you are running boost then they need to be .035 at the least. i have never heard of them being gapped to .030. i have mine at .035. brenspeed charges extra to pre-gap if you buy the plugs from them. i would get a gapping tool and feeler gauge and gap them correctly. be very careful becuase it is easy to over gap them, then you have to squeeze them to re-gap again.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
no gapping is fine when you dont have boost, if you are running boost then they need to be .035 at the least. i have never heard of them being gapped to .030.
I think mine are at 0.028 now... I need to double-check with Adam what he did for the new set-up.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think mine are at 0.028 now... I need to double-check with Adam what he did for the new set-up.
They probably are Don. Mine were gapped at .035 when I was at 10psi and when I went to 12 psi I was getting some blowout above 6000rpm.
I regapped them down to .030 and haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
how about for a nitrous setup? when i bought my autolites ht0's it didnt seem like i could gap them... i just installed them and i was good for a while... had a slight hickup in the exhaust but that went away after i got the longtubes and retune done....

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how about for a nitrous setup? when i bought my autolites ht0's it didnt seem like i could gap them... i just installed them and i was good for a while... had a slight hickup in the exhaust but that went away after i got the longtubes and retune done....
for a 100 shot 28 or 30

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back