Spydershaft Woes

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
good luck, i hope it works out. these alum 1 piece ds's are causing a lot of grief these days, at least for some of us.

cyazo6

forum member
Reaction score
When I installed my spydershaft I had a vibration starting right around 100mph. Around 120mph it would make change in the cup holder start to dance around.

oman_cobra

Lethal Mustang
Reaction score
Op - its just like talking on my behalf... im having exactly the same problem...

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
Heard back from Ron today and he suggested something I did NOT check. When I get back to my car in 21 days I'm now going to make sure the pinion nut didn't back off per his suggestion. Since it seemed fine the first time I drove it with the new shaft, I'm thinking this is going to be the problem. If not, I'll take a drive to San Antonio and have it balanced.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you're pinion nut backed off that much i think you'd hear a lot of rear end noise before you get up to speed where the ds vibes. imho

Narsh

forum member
Reaction score
Well my DS is getting balanced and will be in early next week. I still feel a vibration in there though. Obviously not as wild as with the one piece but it is still there. The guys at Steeda seem to think its the 4.30's. I may yank those out while I am at it. No sense in killing drivability that much.

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
Well, the vibration is worse at 75 now than it was before. I also doubt I'd hear much over the Loudmouths. I did notice more play in the pinion to ring gear when I put the shaft back in after changing the torque converter but thought at the time I just didn't remember it moving that much before. That and I had problems swapping the TC and was ready to get out from under the car.

Lambo

Reaction score
I've been contemplating a switch to an aluminum shaft, either Steeda or Spydershaft in my 09 Bullitt. The potential for vibration in the cheaper shafts that use a pinion flange adapter has been a concern, and I felt that vibration would not be an issue with the Steeda or Spydershaft, but it looks like it could still be a problem.

My car will remain relatively mod-free, and I was looking for a few minor things to perk it up a bit and the aluminum driveshaft seemed a perfect choice. The general feedback on various forums is positive, but I have seen issues arise like here, and I have read info from Ford as to why they went to the heavy two-piece shaft, which makes me think I may stick with the stock unit. Has anyone had similar issues with the Steeda unit? I've had good luck with them in the past in buying parts for my old Cobra.

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
Not to be highjacking but is the gt 500 DS and the regular DS the same?Will a gt500 DS fit on there or you have to have the 6spd trans

Narsh

forum member
Reaction score
OK guys I have a final update.

Balanced the DS and slapped it back in with 4.10's. It seems like the 4.30's were causing the vibration. I apparently got a bad set of Motive gears.

I ended up getting a new tune and the car is running awesome N/A.

I'll be getting another Nitrous fill this week to see how she feels on the spray now.

-Narsh

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to be highjacking but is the gt 500 DS and the regular DS the same?Will a gt500 DS fit on there or you have to have the 6spd trans

not the same, diff lengths

OK guys I have a final update.

Balanced the DS and slapped it back in with 4.10's. It seems like the 4.30's were causing the vibration. I apparently got a bad set of Motive gears.

I ended up getting a new tune and the car is running awesome N/A.

I'll be getting another Nitrous fill this week to see how she feels on the spray now.

-Narsh

Very Cool! :beerchug2:

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
I've been contemplating a switch to an aluminum shaft, either Steeda or Spydershaft in my 09 Bullitt. The potential for vibration in the cheaper shafts that use a pinion flange adapter has been a concern, and I felt that vibration would not be an issue with the Steeda or Spydershaft, but it looks like it could still be a problem.

Cheaper shafts with adapters? What are you basing that assesment on?I paid 700 dollarss for a Powerhouse driveshaft with an adapter. Guess what? It hasn't vibrated in over 3 years. That aint cheap either.
The vibration issues seem to happen on driveshafts that require you to break loose that pinion yoke nut and change that flange.
Search this site (and others) for Powerhouse driveshafts and see how many of us have had issues- zero. Then go out and search on Spydershaft and tell us how many threads you find about problems? Get your facts straight please.

SteedsSteve - changed to someone else.

Why??

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
I have a sypdershaft 1pc DS on my 2008 GT

My mods are:

4.30 Gears
Steeda Tri-ax
Corsa Extreme Exhaust
SLP LongTubes
SLP Catted X
Steed U/D Pulleys
Steeda Charge Motion Plates
Steeda CAI w/90mm MAF
NX Plate kit w/ 125 shot
Spydershaft 1pc Driveshaft
Steeda Sport Springs
Steed Adj Upper Control Arm
Front Tower Strut Bar

My car vibrates like crazy after 75mph and feels like the car is going to fall apart over 100mph. The noise and ride quality are absolute garbage after 75mph.

I have tried different pinion angles according to what Steeda suggests as well as Leonard racing suggests to no avail.

This weekend I am going to try and put the stock DS back in to see if it goes away or if it is related to the gears.

From what I have read on other forums, an LSD would take care of the problem because apparently Ford's design is the main issue. Yet, others have no issues. The car the DS came off of had no issues with vibrations and had a set of 4.10's on the car.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'd hate to think I am alone on this one. I would much rather remove the driveshaft and sell it to someone with 3.73's or 4.10's than purchase an LSD for .21 of a second on the 1/4.

-Narsh

Spydershafts are Ford Ranger driveshafts cut and rewelded to be the proper length of the S-197 bodies. We stopped carrying the spydershafts b/c of all the vibration issue with them.

We now carry only the AXLE EXCHANGE 1 piece driveshafts. They are hands down the best on the market.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Cheaper shafts with adapters? What are you basing that assesment on?I paid 700 dollarss for a Powerhouse driveshaft with an adapter. Guess what? It hasn't vibrated in over 3 years. That aint cheap either.
The vibration issues seem to happen on driveshafts that require you to break loose that pinion yoke nut and change that flange.
Search this site (and others) for Powerhouse driveshafts and see how many of us have had issues- zero. Then go out and search on Spydershaft and tell us how many threads you find about problems? Get your facts straight please.

Why??

went with a better supplier that could handle our demand.

Back