Spydershaft Woes

Narsh

forum member
Reaction score
My spydershaft no longer vibrates like it did. As with ALL 1pc aluminum drive shafts, there will be a tiny bit of vibration. At 95-100mph there is a hardly noticeable vibration. Nothing like the Cessna slash earthquake I used to feel at 70mph.

My 4.30 FRPP/Motive gears were the culprit of the insane vibration. They vibrated and whined like banshees even with the stock D/S.

Now that my shop balanced the D/S, put in the 4.10's and set the pinion angle again, the car feels great!

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Spydershafts are Ford Ranger driveshafts cut and rewelded to be the proper length of the S-197 bodies. We stopped carrying the spydershafts b/c of all the vibration issue with them.

We now carry only the AXLE EXCHANGE 1 piece driveshafts. They are hands down the best on the market.

is that your part #BBR-0507-009

im looking into maybe purchasing a 1 piece driveshaft soon.

Last edited:

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
is that your part #BBR-0507-009

im looking into maybe purchasing a 1 piece driveshaft soon.

That is correct. That is the part number we have it as.

yhst-14752229404082_2052_11620244

yhst-14752229404082_2052_14544444

yhst-14752229404082_2052_14562621

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
Do these aftermarket shafts have the same yellow index mark as the Ford drive shafts? This is a very important item during driveshaft installs.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
you might be getting my business very soon john. just need to convince myself its worth the 699 bucks

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 4" driveshaft will clear with Steeda Sport Springs?

how much do they lower the car? i know a 4" will work with the pro kit and a little massage of the tunnel with a big hammer. one of the other guys even has one with a sportline kit that lowers it even a little more

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
I have the steeda sport springs and on large speedbumps it does hit.

it shouldn't, the Spydershaft is a tapered shaft designed not to hit the tunnel. It will if it was installed backwards. I had that the same shaft installed in my car and I never hit the tunnel. A full 4" shaft will hit if the car is lowered. The shaft we sell now is tapered also.

Narsh

forum member
Reaction score
I can gaurantee the shaft was not installed backwards and there is a little lip under the back seat area directly above the DS that does hit at times. I believe there are some articles on this forum on how some users cut that little lip out. I'll see if I can find it.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i had to relocate the e brake clamp, pound the tunnel a little...after those places were fixed, it started rubbing a little further back, fixed that one with a 5 pound sledge. sorry, no pics...just look at where the shiney spots are on the ds and then bang the crap out of that spot with a hammer...mine isn't installed backwards either, slip joint is at the front

TheDarkPath

forum member
Reaction score
Those who experienced vibration to some extent over 80mph...did you ever actually run 100% through a 1/4 to see if the DS, despite the vibration, made any difference in ET?

With the spidershaft on mine, i had a decent amount of vibration after 80mph. Since I never really got over 75 before going to the track, I didn't know it. At the track, I gained absolutely nothing in ET or MPH. I found a slip from before the DS with similar weather and no wind (same as the day I was ran it with the DS) and all time/mph increments were very similar. My car runs very consistantly in the 1/4 so after 4 runs and having nothing to show but vibration, I called it a day. I would think at least some benefit would be seen down low before the 1/8 (before the vibration started).

Could whatever is causing the vibration be sapping all the benefits of the DS's weight reduction? The 2 things I haven't tried is replacing my gear/diff (which I want to do anyways) and getting the DS balanced at a reputable shop. It'd kill me to get all that done, fix the vibration, and still see no gain.

Is my car the exception to the almost guaranteed .2 in the 1/4 for autos?

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my point of view is, that everyone that has a driveshaft has a vibration but they just dont want to admit it. and when they take it out and try to resell it they state that there was a litttleeee vib in the top end.

Nope.. Not true, I love my Spydershaft, no Vibration (top speed 142) I have owned it over a year now. I have had it off the car three times (When I installed a stall, gears and TruTrac Locker install)

No Vibration what so ever...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back