Steeda Adjustable 3rd link....snapped in half???

Guido

forum member
Reaction score
Alright so get this, i have a Steeda adjustable UCA, upper third link, whatever you want to refer to it as, and its been on my car for about 10 months. Also, the car has been in storage since July, so its really only been driven with the UCA for a couple of months. Just the other day while taking off from a parking lot, i felt the rear end bounce and something contact the bottom of the car under the backseat. I brought the car to a stop in the parking lot i happen to be leaving, take a peak underneath, and discover that the UCA had snapped right in half. Has anyone had this happen or heard of this happening before ?

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
You must not have a sticker that says " no fat chicks allowed " lol

Besides that not to sure why it snapped in half. Hopefully someone from steeda or a vendor can shed some info.

Guido

forum member
Reaction score
^^ tomorrow i'll jack the car up and snap some photos. I was dumbfounded when i saw this.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I have never heard of such a thing. There's always a first...

Long Stroke

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Guido, please shoot me pictures to [email protected]

In my 12+ years with Steeda I've never experienced such a thing so I'm quite shocked to hear about this. Regardless I'm terribly sorry. We will get you taken care of.

Scott

Guido

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Scott, i will do so as soon as i can. I live up in New Hampshire and figures...its snowing :/ . But thank you for your help! I'll get the pictures as soon as i can!

Guido

forum member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum, false alarm. I finally got the car off the ground today and got a better look at it, and it looks like it just backed its way out of the threads. Scott, now that i have your attention, have you ever heard of it backing off the threads on its own ? I know for a fact when i installed it everything was tightened down, including the locking nuts for the adjustment.

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen of the forum, false alarm. I finally got the car off the ground today and got a better look at it, and it looks like it just backed its way out of the threads. Scott, now that i have your attention, have you ever heard of it backing off the threads on its own ? I know for a fact when i installed it everything was tightened down, including the locking nuts for the adjustment.
Did you lock it down with the jam nuts and a little blue locktite?

Long Stroke

forum member
Reaction score

Well I'm glad to hear the arm didn't fail on you Guido.

I've never heard of one backing out like you have mentioned ether. Like suggested above some lock tight on the jam bolts will help, but in the majority of the cars simply adjusting the length and then locking down Both jam nuts provides worry free enjoyment.

Let me know if you might need anything else.

:thumb2:

Guido

forum member
Reaction score
I am positive I tightened down the jam nuts, which is why this is puzzling me so much. The car sees regular launches at about 4500 RPMs at the drags, I dont know if that could be the issue

Guido

forum member
Reaction score
Update. I got the uca put back together, and this time torqued the hell out of it and added a little bit of loctite. So that bitch shouldn't come loose on me again. I grabbed some pictures before i fixed it to show what happened.

Attachments

• DSC00434.jpg
    DSC00434.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00433.jpg
    DSC00433.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00432.jpg
    DSC00432.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 40

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Looking at the photos, the axle side did not move. Did you do all the adjustment on the body side only? If so there was not enough threads engaged on the one side.

StangPhD

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed a Steeda adjustable UCA. I have never heard of such a thing. I have seen the stock bracket fail with an aftermarket UCA.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Looks like the locking nuts were spun all the way out to the ends of the threads instead of all the way in locked against the coupler. Also what gil t2 said. It's easy to get the threads and lock nuts turned around in your mind when installing it, laying on your back with limited access and left and right handed threads. Hopefully second time's the charm.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back