Stick or Auto...that is the question!

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
So what are the main differences between a 2011 auto and a 2013 besides select shift? Differences if both were tuned as well. I test drove a 2012 auto friday as im trying to sell my car and move up to a 5.0. After the test drive i was like eh. I plan on boosting the new car right away and know the auto is best for what i want but it was just blah. Maybe ill have to test a 2013

redline8k

Reaction score
I'm rather happy for a stock Trans it shifts quite fast. I only have 200 miles on the car so I haven't really gotten in it much. It should be a beast when tuned from what I hear anyway

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
So what are the main differences between a 2011 auto and a 2013 besides select shift? Differences if both were tuned as well. I test drove a 2012 auto friday as im trying to sell my car and move up to a 5.0. After the test drive i was like eh. I plan on boosting the new car right away and know the auto is best for what i want but it was just blah. Maybe ill have to test a 2013

The autos with the stock tunes leave a lot to be desired. A tune makes a night and day difference. It will feel the same on a 2013.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
The difference between the 2011 6r80 and the 2014 is like night and day.

This is what made me ask the question. With a tune is the only difference the select shift or does the newer trans have different gearing?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
6R80's are all the same from 2011-2014, other than the addition of select shift in the 13/14's. Stock 6R80 Coyotes feel sluggish, but a good tune really wakes them up!

4VFTW

Reaction score
I have an Auto and there are times I wish I had a stick , but those times are never when I am at the track.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I only have 3 days of experience with a stick Mustang GT. I drove my auto '06 for 8 years and swore I would never drive another auto. I go buy a 2014 base model stick car. I'm an old school street racer and what I mean by that is when racing a stick car right foot never leaves the floor board. I did this in the new new car and a couple of times the shifter got hung and I had to jack with it to get it unstuck. The car had several unaceptable issues for a certified pre-owned to I returned the car. All they had was 3 new ones and all were auto, 2 white and one black. I bought the black one. I was a little disappointed at first, but the 6R80 is growing on me. As for my "manliness" well they are still there hanging in the same place the have for 57 yrs....lol. In the end, I am glad that I got the auto and so is my wife, she likes to drive a muscle car every once in a while too!

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm an old school street racer and what I mean by that is when racing a stick car right foot never leaves the floor board. I did this in the new new car and a couple of times the shifter got hung and I had to jack with it to get it unstuck.
There's a fix for that now: http://www.cjponyparts.com/blowfish...acket-gt-2011-2014-boss-302-2012-2013/p/MSSB/

I threw that part and the MGW on at the same time so cannot speak to how much each contributes to the solution, but now hanging in the gates since these parts were bolted on.

I did see you returned the car and got an auto, so just pointing out there is a fix for future searches (if the massive threads discussing the part didn't get hit first).

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I only have 3 days of experience with a stick Mustang GT. I drove my auto '06 for 8 years and swore I would never drive another auto. I go buy a 2014 base model stick car. I'm an old school street racer and what I mean by that is when racing a stick car right foot never leaves the floor board. I did this in the new new car and a couple of times the shifter got hung and I had to jack with it to get it unstuck. The car had several unaceptable issues for a certified pre-owned to I returned the car. All they had was 3 new ones and all were auto, 2 white and one black. I bought the black one. I was a little disappointed at first, but the 6R80 is growing on me. As for my "manliness" well they are still there hanging in the same place the have for 57 yrs....lol. In the end, I am glad that I got the auto and so is my wife, she likes to drive a muscle car every once in a while too!

Terry,

Terry on this end and I had my 08 Bullitt Mustang converted to the TCI Super Street Fighter like maybe 3 or so years ago now.

I Luv it and glad I did it.

Like you I was a manual stick driver always over the years.

A soon to be 70 year Ole-Fellow.

Terry

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:beer::beer::beer::clap:57 yr. old here lol. I guess the need for speed never goes away lol. Cheers to you my new senior friend

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Auto with a circle d converter

Yes it runs a custom Circle-D billet converter.

:beer::beer::beer::clap:57 yr. old here lol. I guess the need for speed never goes away lol. Cheers to you my new senior friend
Terry,

Nice to meet you (Terry) here on S-197. :clap:

Yes my age is 69 until June of 2015.

But I'm not one of those sitting in the recliner. :thud:

I can and do anything within reason I want to do.

If the health holds out like it is I will be enjoying the Bullitt Mustang hopefully for many years to come.

Here are a few pics of it when it was installed.

Extra Capacity Transmission Pan,

Me and the new TCI Super Street Fighter,

The TCI Ratchet-Shifter going in,

Terry

Last edited:

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score
Good post Tiger!

Personally.. In my DD I go with auto, and I've won king of the hill matches with an auto before.. When it truly comes down to it, I love driving a manual trans car when I'm out cruising around, being able to tell the car to be in this gear at this time, and not just a suggestion/etc is great - and I love the clutch/shifter interaction, gotta work together...

Recently drove a Lexus RC-F, full sport mode all assists off.. That trans shifted way faster than I ever could and it held whatever gear I asked of it, even to the point of hammering off the rev limiter (deliberate test)

Gotta say, I would love daily driving that, but still for my weekend 'warrior' car I'd want a manual trans. Too many people nowadays don't even know how to use the 3rd pedal..

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Terry... that car is so nice!

In my 2007 I had a built 5R55s with a twin disc PI 3,800 stall. Converted over from the TR3650, to a TR6060, to the TCI auto. Best thing I ever did. Took half a seond of my track time in the 1/4 mile (mostly cuz a need a driver mod) and was a blast to ratchet shift that bad boy on nice days with the windows down.

Planning on doing a notch back built with a 2008 4.6L 3v and a Street Fighter. That's how much I liked it.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Similar to Terry, TCI Rachet shifter,Circle-D converter, Level 10 trans. Take out some shift delay in manual shifting settings and it's a gas..

I would however prefer a manual if street car, more busy more fun. I think I would get tickets with a manual on the street though, auto with hp on the street begs to respect or throws you to the curb real quick.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good post Tiger!

Personally.. In my DD I go with auto, and I've won king of the hill matches with an auto before.. When it truly comes down to it, I love driving a manual trans car when I'm out cruising around, being able to tell the car to be in this gear at this time, and not just a suggestion/etc is great - and I love the clutch/shifter interaction, gotta work together...

Recently drove a Lexus RC-F, full sport mode all assists off.. That trans shifted way faster than I ever could and it held whatever gear I asked of it, even to the point of hammering off the rev limiter (deliberate test)

Gotta say, I would love daily driving that, but still for my weekend 'warrior' car I'd want a manual trans. Too many people nowadays don't even know how to use the 3rd pedal..

Terry... that car is so nice!

In my 2007 I had a built 5R55s with a twin disc PI 3,800 stall. Converted over from the TR3650, to a TR6060, to the TCI auto. Best thing I ever did. Took half a seond of my track time in the 1/4 mile (mostly cuz a need a driver mod) and was a blast to ratchet shift that bad boy on nice days with the windows down.

Planning on doing a notch back built with a 2008 4.6L 3v and a Street Fighter. That's how much I liked it.

Similar to Terry, TCI Rachet shifter,Circle-D converter, Level 10 trans. Take out some shift delay in manual shifting settings and it's a gas..

I would however prefer a manual if street car, more busy more fun. I think I would get tickets with a manual on the street though, auto with hp on the street begs to respect or throws you to the curb real quick.

Ryan, Marc & Kurt,

Reads to me like all of us are on the same line of thinking.

The automatics win races ........
They also in heavy traffic areas far easier to drive and save that left leg.
If like me you have the TCI ratchet shifter you can shift it manually.
Or you can hold it any gear as you like.
Also I think this goes without saying (You have a Custom Tune) then the way it shifts under power is a real blast.
In my case the way my tune is set-up mine holds in each gear to a set RPM or MPH before it shifts in the drive position.
Example mine does not shift to 5th gear (Overdrive) until 60 MPH when in drive.
So it does not SLAM into the next gear at real low RPM's.
I simply put mine in Drive and the tune does it's thing going through the gears.
Even on a drag-strip you simply put it in the drive position (Push the BTN to turn-off the OD) and away you go.
In my case Brent set the tune so that even if I were to forget to turn off the OD (Overdrive) mine will not shift into OD at WOT (Wide-Open-Throttle) until a very high RPM is reached.
Meaning no worries running it at a drag strip at all.
Also he disabled the TC (Traction Control) so it's always off.

Speaking of manual transmissions and our Mustangs.
I had the manual 5-speed in mine for years.
Raced it with the manual.
And certainly played with it on the street.
But here is what I ran into as time marched by and the power level kept increasing.
I ended up with an Exedy 600 series clutch and Exedy lightened flywheel.
The Ford Racing braided stainless hydraulic clutch line.
I can only speak for myself and my personal experience with the above.
It was fun as we know to mess around with it with that configuration for sure.
However it was a bitch on the Ole-Left-Leg in traffic.
Even normal traffic.
Get into the City and stop lights along with bumper to bumper traffic and it was a nightmare at best.
Oh and lets not overlook the on going never ending interstate construction.
Down to 1-Lane and backed up for ever with the above clutch set-up !!!
I will just say to me it was a Bitch.
Plus I don't happen to live out in the middle of No-Man's-Land.
Where I live is constant traffic.
Bottom-line for me changing over to the auto.
I decided to give up the Show-Boating and Playing around with the manual.
Switched to what I posted above and have never-ever wanted to change back.
Yes I'm older and I can see that probably does and did enter into my decision to switch.
But I'll also add that these days and traffic becoming even more so I believe the auto is the better choice if it's the right Automatic Transmission with the right Custom-Tune.

Terry

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
That's a great summary of exactly what I went/go through around here.

Lindsay thinks I'm making a mistake buying a Hellcat in an auto... I haven't made up my mine yet, but I don't want to go through what I did with my 2007 GT.

I'm cool with the GT500 being a stick because I don't drive it more than 1,000 miles a year and it doesn't go to the track... but a daily driver that gets raced, an auto is my preference.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's a great summary of exactly what I went/go through around here.

Lindsay thinks I'm making a mistake buying a Hellcat in an auto... I haven't made up my mine yet, but I don't want to go through what I did with my 2007 GT.

I'm cool with the GT500 being a stick because I don't drive it more than 1,000 miles a year and it doesn't go to the track... but a daily driver that gets raced, an auto is my preference.
Marc,

Like you say if your only driving a car like a 1,000 miles in a year who cares if it's a manual.

I can tell you this if your interested.
If I purchased a new Dodge Challenger "Hellcat" it would certainly have to be the new 8-speed automatic.
That would be probably the easiest decision I would need to make.
The 8-speed in the "Hellcat" is so Bad-Ass !!!

If you think about it send me a PM or E-Mail so I can see that "Hellcat" when you get it. :hi:

Terry

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back