Stick or Auto...that is the question!

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
4.10's aren't a bad choice for a 6R80 Coyote. I actually really enjoy the 4.10's combined with my 5,000 rpm stall converter in my '14 GT.
You also had a Mach 1 with 4.56's and F/I if I remember correctly right? So that tells me from experience you love your gears.:poke:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is a fun Thread to sit back and read. :clap:

Terry

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
yep, 4.10s fine, lower hwy mileage, but fun. I think the 4.10s help me out. If I had a torque converter I likely wouldn't have seen any benefit in going with 4.10s.
Theory behind the gears was my RPMs would be higher throughout the run. I bought the mods in early 2012 before much was known/experimented with them. several other members on here did it at the time too and saw positive results. But now everyone in here is claiming they know everything about these cars when most of you haven't even tried it out to see what gains can be had from these mods, I'd bet I picked up a bit from the gears/intake. My CAI+Tune only run was 13.0, after intake, exhaust, gears, went down to 12.5.... I doubt I picked up .5 from the o/r midpipe. (DA Corrected time is 11.7@119mph).. I'm running a Steeda tune, which is better than the BBR I had before, but I get a downshift clunk so thinking about trying a new tune soon.

I'm not planning any more mods till I pay the car off though.

12.2 5,000' DA corrects down to 11.4.. I have a tough time believing that out of a CAI+ tune only. Now 3500-4000' DA I might believe a 12.2

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
4.10's aren't a bad choice for a 6R80 Coyote. I actually really enjoy the 4.10's combined with my 5,000 rpm stall converter in my '14 GT. Minor mods (see sig below). Lots of fun to drive on the street (it's a daily driver), and it doesn't do too bad at the drag strip (best ET 11.78 and typically 11.80's with 115-116 mph trap speeds). That's with a 100% stock engine, 100% stock suspension, factory wheels, and a loaded car weighing 3800 lbs (with me in the car).

You also had a Mach 1 with 4.56's and F/I if I remember correctly right? So that tells me from experience you love your gears.:poke:

Brian had a 2007 GT auto that made less than his coyote probably does and managed to get into the 11's. IIRC it made 38xrwhp max. He did have 4.10 or 4.30 gears? and 26" drag radials too iirc. He certainly knows how to get the most out of a streetable Mustang imo.

Unless it's a Boss I'd go with an auto. Almost did with my 2008 but in the end decided a 5 speed would be more fun. If I ever get another Mustang the auto will be my first choice.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
^ The new transmissions are similar to going up two or three gear sizes.

I have a 2014 with MT82 and 3.55 gears. It is waaaaaaaay shorter than my Bullitt with 3.73 gears, and my tires are an inch taller. I could run 3.15 gears and it would probably be closer to the 3650 with 3.73.

The MT82 with 3.73 gears would be like running 4.56 gears on the older cars.

1st gear on the 6R80 auto is really low, like 4.XX (a LOT lower than the MT-82) Tranny gear x rear gear = final drive. ( the height of the rears will also come into play of course). The extremely low 1st gear on the 6R80 combined with a 4:10 rear end gear would result in bucket loads of rwtq in 1st gear. You would be spinning in /out of 1st gear..into 2nd. With a 4:10 rear gear.... you will have rendered 1st gear useless on the street.

On a side note, a local buddy bought a 2014 Fusion AWD with paddle shifter automatic. I took it for a spin down some twisty back roads one night. Aside from the fact the AWD would clean the RWD mustang's clock every time..... the paddle shifters worked superb....like totally transparent. The slick part about the 6 speed auto was....when in manual mode.... like say 3/4/5/6th gear..... you come up to a stop sign..and it will drop down gears..till it hits 1st gear. Then when you take off in 1st gear.... you simply paddle shift up in gears. That feature whereby if you have to come to a sudden stop...and it has enough smarts to drop it into 1st..is very slick..well worth it. You can't do that on a 05-10 auto stang....and I'm sure you can't do it on a 11-14 auto either. (If I'm manually shifted into 3rd gear..and hit the red light, I have to manually shift into 1st).

If the new 2015 automatic mustang, with it's paddle shifters is anything like the fusion awd paddle shifters, folks will be in for a treat. No lag, no delay, just bam, shifts. The Focus auto shifts extremely fast..like 7 msecs. You can still do stuff like drag race..starting in 2nd gear..then stuff it into drive, and let the ecu control the 2-3 , 3-4 , 4-5 shifts.

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score
Just my opinion..

Which according to a lot of people in this thread doesn't mean anything since I haven't had a car faster than high 10s, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I've done plenty of drag racing with manual, auto, FWD, RWD.. Road racing, autocross, street driving (at one point 25k + miles per year, mix of auto and manual)

I've raced a coworkers 550 HP supra with my 06 at the strip 20+ times, who has killed me (with his 4 speed auto, converter, etc) at the drag strip, every time. But my trap speed was as fast as or faster than his every run (we're talking 1.5-1.7 0-60 vs my 1.9-2.1). On the highway against the same supra (which is supposed to be a highway queen) I pulled hard every time. Did I lose to him at the track? Yes. Did it bug me? Not in the least, I had fun dealing with shifting the entire time, where he only had to worry about his trans brake and amount of boost off the line, and how straight his car was going.

Right now I have a DD that's typically an auto, and 2 cars that I cruise around in / take to the track (doesn't have to be just straight line) that are way more fun to drive as a manual. Yes, I like to win, but I also like how I feel when I had a good launch, good run, it's a personal challenge to improve something that depends on ME (that is, my 60', my ET, being in the right gear out of a turn...) If I lost to a faster car with similar mods that was an auto? Challenge accepted, go back and improve your shifting, pick a better RPM or shift point (which if any of you remember fox bodies, a stock one shifted at redline ran slower than one shifted at ~5200) and get a better feel for your car. I don't think I'd ever own an automatic in something I don't have to drive every day.

Also for the comment about torque multiplication earlier in the argument about autos being better.. Compare dyno numbers for that one. The newer autos are way more efficient but parasitic loss is still higher than a manual...

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
" my trap speed was as fast as or faster than his every run (we're talking 1.5-1.7 0-60 vs my 1.9-2.1"

Hmmmm.. I don't think you know what a trap speed is.

For future reference it's your MPH at the end of your 1/8th or 1/4 mile run.....

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score
" my trap speed was as fast as or faster than his every run (we're talking 1.5-1.7 0-60 vs my 1.9-2.1"

Hmmmm.. I don't think you know what a trap speed is.

For future reference it's your MPH at the end of your 1/8th or 1/4 mile run.....

In the 1/8th we were both 95-96 mph every time, and in the 1/4 we were both in the 114-116 range

I was deliberately referencing trap speed and not ET

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score

Actually, I do love more gearing than the factory provides. I love big stall converters, too. My Mustangs have been geared as follows...

• 14 GT auto = 4.10's w/ 5,000 rpm stall converter
  • 11 Brembo GT manual = 4.56's
  • 07 GT auto w/ Vortech supercharger = 4.10's w/ 4,800 rpm stall converter
  • 03 Mach 1 manual = 4.30's
  • 00 GT manual = 3.27's
  • 89 LX 5.0 manual = 3.73's
  • 75 Mach 1 manual = 3.55's
As you can see, I've had more manual trans Mustangs than autos. I love rowing through the gears for myself, but a stalled auto is just as entertaining. For those who say automatics are boring, you need to drive one with a big stall converter and then tell us what you think.

Last edited:

5.Blow

Do you even lift?
Reaction score
From my experience, I've owned an M6 11 GT/CS and now a A6 13 GT. I prefer the Auto because the M6 felt too soft and without feel, thats my opinion anyway. I had the different fluid, Barton Shifter and Bracket which did help a little however I already felt the syncros going after 5K miles. I was shifting at about 7600RPM sometimes which sure didn't help.

As the guys stated above, for a Daily/Strip car the A6 is the way to go. If you like banging gears and auto crossing, then the M6 is your choice. Either way the cars are fun.

Hope that helps.

redline8k

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm now the proud owner of a 2014 deep impact blue base gt! I love it so far. Let the modding beginning

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running a Steeda tune, which is better than the BBR I had before, but I get a downshift clunk so thinking about trying a new tune soon.

Get that junk Steeda tune out. Everyone, including myself had the downshift clunk with their tunes. I was told "we never had that problem". Brought up my friends who emailed with the same issues and sent links from forums too LOL. After a few revisions I realized Gus wasn't capable of fixing it. So I contacted Mike Rousch from MAP. He knew what caused it, fixed it, and gave me a tune way better. Give him a shout!

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
On a side note, a local buddy bought a 2014 Fusion AWD with paddle shifter automatic. I took it for a spin down some twisty back roads one night. Aside from the fact the AWD would clean the RWD mustang's clock every time.

Totally disagree. My wife has the same car. It's handling dynamics are below any late model Mustang I've driven. The AWD pushes, has no steering feel and is poorly balanced. The AWD just gives a "feeling" that it's good because there is no drama. For a family sedan it is good though, I will say that.

the paddle shifters worked superb....like totally transparent.
Again, huh? It is not a DCT, so it still has a torque converter. At high rpm it still has a delay when shifting. They allow you pick and choose a gear which is nice, but it's just a gimmick if you ask me.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back