stock fuel pump install help

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
is the pump supposed to sit down all the way in the tank. I have to push it down about a 1/4 inch to make the lip seat in. I'm having problem with the re-install. What dirrection is the level float supposed to go. I don't see where the arrow on top of the pump is supposed to point either. HELP lol

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The arrow should point towards the front of the car. The level sensor should be on the passenger side of the pump when installed.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
See if this helps. Something I used when I replaced my stock pump (06) for a later (08) stock pump

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The float level has to go over the barrier/lip that separates the driver side from the passenger side of the fuel tank.

Pretty sure the arrows show you where the line up tabs are.

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got it to seat, but don't have enough hands now lol. The daughter can't swing the hammer worth a crap lol. I'm gonna stop for now and start again tomorrow.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got it to seat, but don't have enough hands now lol. The daughter can't swing the hammer worth a crap lol. I'm gonna stop for now and start again tomorrow.

No extra hands needed, push it down, turn it to lock it in place, and then install lock ring. It's all very simple, should take more than a couple of minutes. I just removed my stock pump and installed the GT 500 last week in about 15 minutes including removing and reinstalling the seat.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No extra hands needed, push it down, turn it to lock it in place, and then install lock ring. It's all very simple, should take more than a couple of minutes. I just removed my stock pump and installed the GT 500 last week in about 15 minutes including removing and reinstalling the seat.

You got lucky!

I have removed installed fuel hats probably a dozen times and i think ive got the lock down tabs to hold maybe two-three times and it was easy peasy. The rest were it would lock down but as soon as you tried to twist the ring it would pop back out, very finicky,makes it almost impossible without a second set of hands when it does that.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You got lucky!

I have removed installed fuel hats probably a dozen times and i think ive got the lock down tabs to hold maybe two-three times and it was easy peasy. The rest were it would lock down but as soon as you tried to twist the orring it would pop back out, very finicky,makes it almost impossible without a second set of hands when it does that.

Damn,I guess there is somthing else I have been lucky on me car then.

15 or 20 min swap for me.

GuySolo

Reaction score
I’ve been having the same issue, where the pump pops back out. What were the steps that you’ve taken to keep it down while putting on the locking ring?

You got lucky!

I have removed installed fuel hats probably a dozen times and i think ive got the lock down tabs to hold maybe two-three times and it was easy peasy. The rest were it would lock down but as soon as you tried to twist the ring it would pop back out, very finicky,makes it almost impossible without a second set of hands when it does that.

07 Boss

Reaction score
After doing the pump a few times I have found a couple little things that help me out. For some reason the access hole doesn't line up with the pump so I like to unstrap the tank and let it hang down a bit. This makes it easier to maneuver the pump into the tank. Second I got (not this particular one) fuel ring tool. Even though it says not to I put it on my impact gun so it is easy to manipulate. Hold the pump down with one hand and use the tool to maneuver and secure the ring, squeeze the trigger once and done.

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-243...ocphy=9030746&hvtargid=pla-504073488927&psc=1

Laga

Reaction score
Before you start, use a needle nose pliers to SLIGHTLY bend down the tabs on the locking ring. Makes getting them started much easier. I also put a light coat of silicone grease on the bottom of the locking ring to help things slide easier.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back