Strange Traction LOK failure (at least I haven't seen it)

forum member
Reaction score
My winter mod list includes replacing the stock 3.55 gears with 4.10's. I have been hearing a whine coming from the rear axle housing for awhile. I took out the carrier, gears, and axles and I saw nothing unusual. I was going to write it off as gear noise. I was talked into rebuilding the Traction LOK as opposed to replacing it. I started to pull the bearings off of the carrier and found my noise. The bearing closet to the ring gear is spinning on the carrier. It has removed about .008" off of the surface of the carrier and has started to grind into the carrier. I can push on the new bearing with little effort. I guess I have to decide if I want a new Traction LOK or save for a TrueTrac. It looks like I have wasted $110 on new clutches for Traction LOK as well.
Has anyone else seen this kind of failure?

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
seen it once before. Go around the surface with a hammer/punch and make 8 ish dimples. temp fix and will buy a little time

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but I have decided on going with the long term solution. I ordered an Eaton TrueTrac.

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
Likely an error in machining tolerance with the bearing, the tlok, or install error when the bearing was pressed on. What brand of carrier bearings were used? I wouldn't say that it was due to failure because the unit couldn't handle the stress, the design of that part of the diff is no different than any other brand. The installer should have noticed the amount of force required to press that bearing on the carrier was much less than normal, unless they failed to watch the press gauges.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back