Swap in factory electronics/nav screen?

travelers

Reaction score
I went with the setup from AM on my car which as you can guess didn't come with it. The AM setup works good.

travelers

Reaction score
Any lag when switching to the backup camera or through the maps?

I'll check on that this week. its suppose to rain the next couple days so I'll let you know when it stops. As much as I can remember no real delay maybe a second on the backup camera but on the nav it pops right up when you hit the button. You always get the disclaimer about paying attention to driving but that's it.

Mine is also the Sync version

MOTORCITYBADBOY

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the setup from AM on my car which as you can guess didn't come with it. The AM setup works good.

Looked at the aftermarket setup. It's clearly much easier to install, and it works, but seems a bit cheesy after having the factory setup with SYNC, dual zone climate control, voice commands, and all the services available...

If I get a Roush, I will probably just go the extra mile and get one that already has the factory electronics/NAV package.

TheSuit

VISIONARY
Reaction score
Looked at the aftermarket setup. It's clearly much easier to install, and it works, but seems a bit cheesy after having the factory setup with SYNC, dual zone climate control, voice commands, and all the services available...

If I get a Roush, I will probably just go the extra mile and get one that already has the factory electronics/NAV package.

I have heard the aftermarket setup is pretty good and a good cheaper/easier option for those vehicles that do not have the factory electronics/NAV package. I would choose factory over the aftermarket but I know when I was looking, the market was small for those with them so I just opted that if I ever wanted it I would go aftermarket.

mrbtd

Reaction score
Look into the idatalink MUS01 with Kenwood receiver set ups - It is a very easy DIY project. The best part is all new bezel with Climate controls and additional gauges handled by the receiver.

travelers

Reaction score
I tried the nav tonight and it only took maybe 2sec to access and even less for the backup camera.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Any lag when switching to the backup camera or through the maps?

Backup camera engages surprisingly fast for me; I can basically start it, put it in reverse and the camera is on already, before the unit would normally finish booting. I like that you can turn on the camera on the fly even in drive going down the street. I call it the camaro cam. :yaoface:

There are glitches every now and then, just like the sync and uconnect systems, and i'm guessing a lot of the glitches are due to it keeping the sync brain. Basically the AM stuff is just a GUI on top of sync. The voice commands are just as retarded as they were before, and the nav I think is actually better, especially since it's a more mainstream product and not Ford's shit.

I've gone one step further and added an amp - i put one of the small kenwood 4ch amps in the dash under the whole sync unit. At that point, with one of those PAE line out converters wired in, and the output of the amp wired to the factory 4ch harness, so that I didn't have to run new speaker wire, and the raxiom wired into the factory harness which all ties in to the hvac and factory screens and raxiom and sync unit, it gets a little crazy in there, but not too bad. After seeing the innards of the factory nav, and the list of parts in that link, it seems quite a bit easier.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back