Swervo's TSS billet oil pump gear and VMP supercharger install

swervo

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a thread to show my progress of my TSS oil pump gear and VMP supercharger installation. This is the first time I've ever done this and I only have a few hours to work on it a day and I'm taking my time. The tear down of the engine wasnt too bad, but the electrical clips on the back side of the valve covers were a pain in the ass. The hardest part was the oil pick up tube bolts, especially the inboard one. It took me 40 mins to get that bastard out using my finger. Putting it back in, I dropped in into the oil pan and had to go to the parts store and get a couple of magnets to fish it out. Yesterday, I ground down the bosses on the timing cover and then painted it black. I'm currently waiting on a new front seal, crank shaft bolt and a pair of boss tensioners, then the cover will go back on as well as the valve covers. Now on to the pics!
Removed the cold air intake

Removed the passenger side valve cover

Removed the driver’s side valve cover and boss intake manifold

Removed all the accessories, pulleys and water pump

Removed the timing chains and guides

TSS billet oil pump gear on the left and stock on the right

Oil pump getting installed and I dropped the damn bolt down the oil pan… grrrr.

Grinding the front cover. My dumb cordless grinder kept losing power after 5 mins, so I used my dremel and 5 cutting disks to grind/cut the bosses off.

Painted the front cover black

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
IMG_20141011_193424.jpg

I was thinking of doing mine but that's alot of tear down. LOL

I'd do cams if I had to tear it down that far.

Front cover looks good!!!

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great. Are you using a service manual or what? I want to do things like this but unlike GM land where you can get all sorts of torque specs/info/step by step, I just don't see that for these cars. Am I just missing it? VMP kit and pump gears would be on my list to do next year.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unreal there is a sticky here for the oil pump install, done by blazer707.

swervo

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great. Are you using a service manual or what? I want to do things like this but unlike GM land where you can get all sorts of torque specs/info/step by step, I just don't see that for these cars. Am I just missing it? VMP kit and pump gears would be on my list to do next year.

Unreal there is a sticky here for the oil pump install, done by blazer707.

That's the one I used.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Well, for the Coyotes there is this: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499

I've used it for a couple of projects I've done.

I am always amazed at how big a PITA the oil pump is on these engines when I see someone post the process.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Looks easier than a vette oil pump. All the same stuff, buy you have to pull the steering rack out to get he crank pulley off.

Thanks. Let me know how you like the VMP. That is top of my list. My biggest concern on it is the auto tranny tuning.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Swervo did you drive the mustang coast to coast? Can't recall if you were stationed some place else since I saw you in Martinez. I made that trip in tree days 4 nights back in 93 driving alone. I was hell bent on getting home to some tail. Wish I would have had the mustang rather than a base 89 Nissan hardbody.

swervo

forum member
Reaction score
Swervo did you drive the mustang coast to coast? Can't recall if you were stationed some place else since I saw you in Martinez. I made that trip in tree days 4 nights back in 93 driving alone. I was hell bent on getting home to some tail. Wish I would have had the mustang rather than a base 89 Nissan hardbody.

Back in 2010, I drove from NC to San Diego. Was stationed there for 2 years, then put the stang in storage and went overseas to Japan for another 2 years. Now I'm stationed back here in NC.

swervo

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of an update as I haven't really had time to really do anything. I finally got it up and running and took her for a spin around the block to get it up to temp and make sure everything was working properly. Haven't really got on it since I was in a small subdivision. Plus I wanted to get all the air out of the system. Anyway, here are the pics.

Got the front cover on

I figured since I had the bumper off, I would change out the headlights that I bought from LRS.

The heat exchanger installed. I think I got the wrong version, because the instructions have the inlet and outlets in the opposite sides. I made it work regardless.

Soldered and pinned the connector to the computer.

Got the ID1000s installed on the new fuel rails.

Lower intake installed.

Head unit installed.

Brackets, belts and coolant hoses all routed.

And finally took her for a spin around the neighborhood without the bumper on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back