Tanner's 4R70W Conversion

joesgt281

Reaction score
I removed mine as well but, took it a step further.

picture.php

Then this .

picture.php

And finally this .

picture.php

Thanks, but pics not working :popcorneat:

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
Nicely done Tanner, I had been out of the loop and didn't even know you were swapping in the 4R. Congrats!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
FWIW I used a Derale 13750 cooler/fan unit unit mounted where the EVAP crap used to be. The trans temp sensor is installed in the out line by the trans. This will give you the highest reading the trans is seeing.
Do you have any pics of how you ran your cooler lines ?

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of how you ran your cooler lines ?

I search all my pics and don't have anything. I can tell you that they are running along the inside of the frame rails. I have a convertible and it has two bracing bars that go from about mid car to the back at a 30 degree angle. The lines follow these braces to the cooler. I would offer to take some pics but the car is stored for a couple of months.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Main thing is I do not want them in the tunnel . This is where I am stumped at the stock gas tank .

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Main thing is I do not want them in the tunnel . This is where I am stumped at the stock gas tank .

Mine are at the bottom of the tunnel for about 18" then out and then following the support bars to the cooler.

joesgt281

Reaction score
Here's the layout of a friends swap. The cooler itself is mounted sideways to the air-flow, but he reports not having temp issues. Note that this is a drag car and not a street cruiser.

Attachments

• Pic 050.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Pic 033.jpg
    Pic 033.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Pic 034.jpg
    Pic 034.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Pic 035.jpg
    Pic 035.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Mine are at the bottom of the tunnel for about 18" then out and then following the support bars to the cooler.

Thanks for the info . Im just trying to keep them out of the tunnel . Wouldnt be pretty with a broken DS at the track.

Here's the layout of a friends swap. The cooler itself is mounted sideways to the air-flow, but he reports not having temp issues. Note that this is a drag car and not a street cruiser.

Thanks, but mine are in the rear of the car .

By the way Tanner , how is the trans holding up ?

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will tell ya, Billy.. It's working very well, I drive it (hard) daily and so far no issues. It could use a few small shift adjustments in the controller but aside from that, it's great. I picked up the SCT PRP over the holidays and am currently playing with it and when I get a chance, I will work on the transmission calibration a bit more.

WarFords

forum member
Reaction score
I will tell ya, Billy.. It's working very well, I drive it (hard) daily and so far no issues. It could use a few small shift adjustments in the controller but aside from that, it's great. I picked up the SCT PRP over the holidays and am currently playing with it and when I get a chance, I will work on the transmission calibration a bit more.
If you have any questions about tuning on the car I might be able to help a bit. I did mine and I learned a lot from it. Mike @ Powerhouse helped me a lot too.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Nice to here !

joesgt281

Reaction score
Hey Tanner, or anybody else that knows....this is about the speed sensor.
I bought the Optishift harness so it was simple to connect it to the 4R, but now the cars connector that gave that signal to the PCM is disconnected. How do I get that signal to the car? Just piggyback the wires at the sensor?

joesgt281

Reaction score
I bought the Optishift harness so it was simple to connect it to the 4R, but now the cars connector that gave that signal to the PCM is disconnected. How do I get that signal to the car? Just piggyback the wires at the sensor?

According to Karl Baumann:

You can either piggy-back the PCM VSS+ input onto the speed sensor wiring going to our controller, or if you have firmware version 3.0 or higher (likely if you bought it in the last few months), you can connect the VSS+ wire to our speedometer output (the tan wire). You can use either replicated mode, or scaled mode (if you need to correct the pulse ratio).
Just connect our green wire to the OSS input of the PCM and it should work. You do not need to connect SIGRTN.

Great customer service!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

According to Karl Baumann:

You can either piggy-back the PCM VSS+ input onto the speed sensor wiring going to our controller, or if you have firmware version 3.0 or higher (likely if you bought it in the last few months), you can connect the VSS+ wire to our speedometer output (the tan wire). You can use either replicated mode, or scaled mode (if you need to correct the pulse ratio).
Just connect our green wire to the OSS input of the PCM and it should work. You do not need to connect SIGRTN.

Great customer service!

I have a couple of questions myself.

1. Does the Optishift and the Baumannator use the same color of wires and or harness?

2. I looked in the wiring diagram manual and cannot find a VSS in the schematics. I did however find the OSS , it shows to be in c175T (lower plug on PCM) pin 3 DB/YE .

3. Is the green wire you are talking about the same green wire that is labeled TPS ? If so would I just piggyback the DB/YE wire to the OSS input at the PCM to the green wire.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tanner,

I just read this complete Thread and just want to say you are the Man. :thumb:

And I thought I am anal.
icon10.gif

I might after reading this simply go with the TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission .

If I had your Talent I might go with the Auto Conversion though.
I think the Hourly Labor Rate would just be out the roof to convert my 5-Speed Manual to an Auto.

Terry

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back