Tanner's 4R70W Conversion

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 5R55 I don't think can be built to withstand much HP by anyone, we are all on borrowed time with the 5r55. This 6 speed is based on the 480LE and I think it will hold up as advertised.

Earl

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Can I ask some dumb questions about this thread?....

--Your all done now, if you want you can just drive it normal on the streets right? 4 speeds (4th being OD) no buttons to press or switchs to which when you need to go into 4th right?

--but when you want to shift through gears you can just ratchet the handle down into first and run through the gears, when you get to third will it shift into fourth when its the control modular tells it to?

1-3rd is manual valve body (if in D) or shifter control and 4th is electronic controlled?

can you turn OD off for track use?

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
I dont have the electronic controller setup on mine as Tanner does. Mine is full manual valve body and I wired a switch to my console to control the OD. On the highway when I get to 3rd I flip the switch and OD engages. Probably not the answer you are looking for.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Tre, yeah thats not the way i want mine to operate, thats also how one of the guys on modularfords has his setup. I will forget to put it in OD because i will drive, talk on my cell, eat a ice cream and drink a pepsi all that the same time, then realize im at 6200rpm in 3rd. haha.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Tre, yeah that's not the way i want mine to operate, that's also how one of the guys on modularfords has his setup. I will forget to put it in OD because i will drive, talk on my cell, eat a ice cream and drink a Pepsi all that the same time, then realize im at 6200rpm in 3rd. haha.

I have a Lentech full auto valve body with trans brake setup. I can put it in drive and drive it like a normal street car and turn the o/d off via a toggle switch mounted on the dash. It is all controlled via the Baumanator controller just like this car . You want a auto valve body .

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
So the thing i would have to ensure when ordering a 4r70w is to have a Auto Valve body not a manual valve body?

Edit: dont get a FULL manual valve body?

with your set up you can still shift through the gears and it shifts when you want it to with out delay?

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So the thing i would have to ensure when ordering a 4r70w is to have a Auto Valve body not a manual valve body?

Yes.

Edit: dont get a FULL manual valve body?

With a full manual VB you have to shift it, it will not shift its self when in drive . When in drive you are in 3rd gear.

with your set up you can still shift through the gears and it shifts when you want it to with out delay?
Yes.

See above

Last edited:

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
thanks man! the only reason i ask the last question is because my old 84 camaro i used to have had a 350 turbo and when i ratchet shifted it it would always take a second to shift but it was a POS though.

07supercharged

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 4r70 and i only use OD on the highway. I have a switch on the dash that has a light on it If its lite its in OD . It will not go into OD unless you hit the switch

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Ill recheck my notes tomorrow, and post up, its been a while since my car has been on the road.

Last edited:

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
The OP (natural1) doesnt have to press a button right? because he has the electronic controller it will just go into 4th when the controller tells it to?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Ill recheck my notes tomorrow, and post up, its been a while since my car has been on the road.
Ok, in drive mine shifts into O/D. I have an arming switch in the console that arms the momentary switch on my shifter. When on the road I can arm that switch and turn the O/D on and off as I want to . At the track I can turn the O/D of and switch the arming switch off and the momentary switch will not work , so the car cannot go into O/D until I arm the switch again, since the momentary switch is then used for the TB and LL.

So Airborne, the AVB from Lentech will give you what you are looking for . I would think any AVB would work for you with the trans controller.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In case you guys were wondering, I've got over 10K on the swap and no issues yet.. If you are on the fence, get off and do the swap!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back