The age old question...turbo vs sc.

RRRoamer

Reaction score
Yeah. With a stick or auto, you would be WAY beyond 1800 even from a dead stop.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could this be worth it.... and what is the difference between a Race Version Saleen S/C and a normal one... cause I like the idea of lower boost....

http://www.hillbankmotorsports.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=16&products_id=60218

Nope, not worth it......because it is not from one of our SVs :) Seriously though, all they are doing is the same thing a bunch of other vendors are doing and adding a smaller pulley and injectors to the package for the "upgrade". Some places are also adding a different intake tube to go along with the package. And that one does seem a bit high to me.

The difference between the two is the size of pulley it comes with, and whether or not it comes with any extras ( intake tube, injectors, etc. ) As far as the actual supercharger, no difference. If you like the idea of lower boost, don't be looking at the upgraded packages. Get the entry level package with the 4lb pulley.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything at 1800 in a race. My go pedal would be past that sitting at the start etc.
I don't race at the strip. I'm looking for the efficiency of a turbo setup with the flatter torque curve of a SC.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't race at the strip. I'm looking for the efficiency of a turbo setup with the flatter torque curve of a SC.

so you will be like them killer duramax trucks!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I like 'em both. However.....the first pull on my twins resulted in 449 to the tires with only 8 degrees of timing. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like 'em both. However.....the first pull on my twins resulted in 449 to the tires with only 8 degrees of timing. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

:clap:I bet you're smiling and hoping for lots more... I hope you don't end up driving like Ted with all them ponies.... LOL

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Actually....the car will probably come off the dyno and roll into the trailer tomorrow evening. Sponsor is transporting the car to Orlando and back for me. His driver left California today. First race of the year and I have no damned idea what this thing is going to do.

Guess I'll just have to whip out that little ol' bag of dirty bracket racing tricks.

I'm such a shit.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually....the car will probably come off the dyno and roll into the trailer tomorrow evening. Sponsor is transporting the car to Orlando and back for me. His driver left California today. First race of the year and I have no damned idea what this thing is going to do.

Guess I'll just have to whip out that little ol' bag of dirty bracket racing tricks.

I'm such a shit.

I went through this kind of thing in the early eighties when I went to a car with 2x the power. Lots to think about, mostly... NOT thinking about it and DRIVE.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have to say after a year and a half of the Saleen S/C in my "DD". If you don't plan on racing it, you can get more power than the street will hold out of a setup which won't have belt problems (because you aren't pushing the blower all that hard with a tiny pulley) - its easy to install, the torque cruve is fantastic...

For what you describe you want, I'd ignore the "efficiency" argument of turbos - certainly the cost complexity of twins to accomplish what you describe just doesn't seem worth it...

At 450-500RWHP, you can roast any tire you can legally drive on the street at will. That puts you in the range where turbo and twin screw differ very little and where they do its at the bottom end of the torque curve (in favor of the twin screw).

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First race of the year and I have no damned idea what this thing is going to do.
Well you are ahead of me, I DNQed for Orlando already:samuri:

Damn I wanted to make it, but the parts were not willing...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Well....come on down anyway. We'll drink beer and watch me piss people off. With any luck there might be a few good lookin' girls loitering around too.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well....come on down anyway. We'll drink beer and watch me piss people off. With any luck there might be a few good lookin' girls loitering around too.
I am busy under/over/inside the car trying to make up for lost time... Gotta get my twins up and running too or I won't be able to make a fool of myself at any event this year...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Cool. You've got six weeks until Atlanta. Or the NMRA Reynolds race if they end up with their own Ultra Stang class. Rumor mill is running apeshit over that one. Who knows.

Mine is going back to California to the sponsors place after Orlando. Some tweaks to the kit are needed since mine is the first automatic car they have had. Just a few differences that need to be addressed. I'm going to send an buttload of parts with them for installation. Probably won't see the car until Reynolds. Damnit. Oh well....it's worth it.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You said 450-500rwhp.

And some DRs will roast (Nitto for example). But I really like these M&Hs.
12PSI in the tires that is...

To be fair, I haven't tried the M&Hs on the street - I have done Nittos and MT... Heck, I can roast them with the N/A car (and a heavy clutch)...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I run 25psi in my M&Hs, and from a dead stop, the car will spin for maybe 5 - 15 feet (depending on the surface), and then hook and go. Other than driving with them in the rain, these are awesome tires. Oh, and I'm not sure I'd want to go canyon carving with them either, but I'm not into that anyway.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Can't wait to get my M&H d/r's to arrive. Drove Butch home today from Strictly and all I can say is that Pirelli's are in deep shit with this kit. Nothing like toodling along at 50 mph in third, rolling into the throttle and busting the tires loose. Damn. Richard didn't get to "fine tune" the setup but we have three pulls on the car and it is very safe right now. I have to put the car into the sponsor's trailer tomorrow so we had to cut the tuning short. At 8 psi with 11.5 A/F ratio the car made 460 hp and 489 tq.

I'm having the tires drop shipped to the hotel in Orlando. Without them.....there's no way in hell it'll hook. I've got the 450 foot long black marks down the street to prove it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back