The Great Oil Debate

KryptonKnight

forum member
Reaction score
Oil

Just a thought about metal particles in the oil. When I first got my ride, I worried having been hard on it too early. This concern about possible abuse caused me to buy a "Filter Mag" to ease my conscious. This product is a powerful magnet that sticks to the side of the filter, wrapping part way around the filter. It claims to attract and trap any metal in the oil to the side of the filter for disposal with an oil change. It is totally reusable. I cannot prove how much it may help but I do a lot of things just in case and
filtermag.jpg
this is just one of them.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Just a thought about metal particles in the oil. When I first got my ride, I worried having been hard on it too early. This concern about possible abuse caused me to buy a "Filter Mag" to ease my conscious. This product is a powerful magnet that sticks to the side of the filter, wrapping part way around the filter. It claims to attract and trap any metal in the oil to the side of the filter for disposal with an oil change. It is totally reusable. I cannot prove how much it may help but I do a lot of things just in case and
filtermag.jpg
this is just one of them.

I know a guy that uses one and you would be surprised how much material it picks up. Just never used one myself but change oil every 1000 miles (and not that I "have" to change that often".

I use VR1 10-30. High Zinc but I do NOT have cats to worry about either

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Royal Purple 5W-30 HPS. Loads of ZDDP + synerlec. This is on a 2010 with a 4.6 + small blower.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
I know these oil topics have been beat to death so please pardon me for asking something that's been covered 100 ways. Redline , amsoil, fords and etc. At least I will not start new thread...LOL

OK.... Sounds like a lot of trial and error, but what is most of you finding to be best option. I am wanting to swap mine for obvious reasons in my 2012. I have 15,000 miles. I have always had some notchy 1-2 2-3. Especially when it's cold. Like most, it gets better or goes away when the car/tranny is full temp. I have done the MGW and it's sweet but not the cure of course. Looking for the best aftermarket oil that helps the most!

***NOTE*** : Looking for the preferred oil swaps in the manual tranny (MT-82) and the preferred oil swap in my OE rearend on 2012 GT 3.73 (will change cover with swap). If you know the exact type to get, be great to give me a part # number , link or exact info making sure I buy the right stuff.

1. What is the brand, weight and amount needed for my MT-82 ??

2.What is the brand, weight and amount needed to do my 3.73 rear ??

Thanks for replies in advance fellows!

Last edited:

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
You'll need 3 qts of fluid for each component.

I run Amsoil MTG for the MT82 and love it. It depends on your climate though. Hot climate-MTG, colder climater-MTF or Redline MTL.

As for the differential, Redline Heavy Shock Proof.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I have used both Ford fluids, Amsoil MTG and Amsoil Synchromesh in my MT82. Synchromesh is the best by a long shot.

Grabber2012

Reaction score
I run the amsoil synchromesh in mine also much better than the factory stuff changed it out at 20,000 miles, also put 5w30 signature series in the coyote at the sametime great products.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
You'll need 3 qts of fluid for each component.

I run Amsoil MTG for the MT82 and love it. It depends on your climate though. Hot climate-MTG, colder climater-MTF or Redline MTL.

As for the differential, Redline Heavy Shock Proof.

I see you are in SC. I am in NC so going on you guys advice here. So 3 quarts for each job. I think the tranny uses like 2.7. Anyway, This AMSOIL MTG, for the MT-82, is what weight? Also the Redline Heavy shock is what weight? Any place with good pricing or preferred place to buy?

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
I have used both Ford fluids, Amsoil MTG and Amsoil Synchromesh in my MT82. Synchromesh is the best by a long shot.

This AMSOIL Syncromesh sounds good, like you hit something for sure on that. What weight is it?? Ask for it by this name? Just want to be damn sure I get all the right shit. Thanks fellows!

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
For a pump I used an old fuel line from an outboard motor with the primer bulb. I'm a cheapskate.

Another vote for Syncromesh here, it was by far the best fluid I used in my TR3650. When I installed the T56 Tremec specified synthetic Mercon 5 only so I used Mobil1 synthetic ATF. I still think the Syncromesh worked better. I just used the Pennzoil version at about $8 per quart. Available at the corner auto parts store.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
I see you are in SC. I am in NC so going on you guys advice here. So 3 quarts for each job. I think the tranny uses like 2.7. Anyway, This AMSOIL MTG, for the MT-82, is what weight? Also the Redline Heavy shock is what weight? Any place with good pricing or preferred place to buy?

UnleashedBeast for Amsoil.

Redline can be bought at a fair price on Amazon.

Couldn't tell you the weights, I'm on my phone, just find them on manufacturer's site.

I may be trying out the Amsoil Synchromesh next time I place an Amsoil order.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
OK.....Going with syncromesh for the MT-82. I am hoping that that syncromesh is offered in one weight only. I will get 3 quarts. I need to put nothing but that back in,,,,Correct?

What are you guys running in the rearend ?? Know the weight of it? Thanks for all the help and replies guys!

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 6060 and yhe best fluid ive found is the gm manual trans and transfer case fluid with 1quart of syncromesh. 100% syncromesh was perfect for hot/very warm but when it was cold the trans was very stiff and nodgy. I tried the redline fluid, mobil fluid, royal crap, ford and that combination yielded the best results

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
OK.....Going with syncromesh for the MT-82. I am hoping that that syncromesh is offered in one weight only. I will get 3 quarts. I need to put nothing but that back in,,,,Correct?

What are you guys running in the rearend ?? Know the weight of it? Thanks for all the help and replies guys!

It will only take about 2.75 quarts before the transmission is full. Make sure you fill it while the car is level.

Rear diff....

Amsoil 75W-140 – buy 3 quarts to insure you always have enough no matter what differential cover is installed

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all 4 ounces

I was thinking about 0w20 for winter use. Any thoughts on that?

It's the same viscosity as 5W-20 at normal engine tips, but will flow better in severe cold weather. Would be nice to have a UOA of it.

I have a 6060 and yhe best fluid ive found is the gm manual trans and transfer case fluid with 1quart of syncromesh. 100% syncromesh was perfect for hot/very warm but when it was cold the trans was very stiff and nodgy. I tried the redline fluid, mobil fluid, royal crap, ford and that combination yielded the best results

The T6060 was designed for ATF, nothing else. If you want the best shifting cold or hot, use this and never look back.

Amsoil ATF - requires 1 gallon (4 quarts).

Last edited:

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
I have Been using Royal purple for over 10 years in all my vehicles. However it seems Castro is stepping up their game, There Syntech oil wasn't 100% synthetic however their new edge series is. Has anyone used it or this new titanium oil?

ava6yqe4.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back